Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs without a degree

• 04-04-2023 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

Just wondering in the current landscaper what would be the best jobs to get into that don't requite a degree

In my early 30's looking to change career path & do something different,

Iv worked in transport for 10 years & have a few course done in it but want to do something totally different ,

Where can you make good money these days without a degree ?

Comments

What are your interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

At this stage i don't mind what kind of job as long as it makes decent money & is Monday to Friday work ,

Or is there even something you could do a night course in that would lead to making a decent wage .

I was asking more to help you identify job areas to look at. There are lots of jobs that don't require degrees, but some experience will be required. I dont have a degree, but messing with computers was my hobby as a teenager. First job was in Tech Support. now Im an IT Consultant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,035 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do you regard as a decent wage?

You are really limiting yourself by saying Mon-Fri only.

Lets say 50 grand a year

I'd prefer not to but of course id still do it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Unless you have experience in a particular area the only way to do it is to start from the bottom and work your way up - thats my experience anyway. I dont have a degree, started off as an office junior, gained experience and got promoted over the years so now I am in a decent paying role in purchasing with the same company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No such thing as a free lunch, unless you're well connected and know the right person who'll give you a handy number.

Most employers want productivity and value from their employees.

Nobody's looking for a free lunch , i'm looking for somewhere i can go work hard & make a decent wage,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

Sales would be my suggestion, something that has commission.

Given your current situation, walking into a job with a gross wage of €50k per year will be almost impossible.

If you where willing give yourself 5 years to work towards that I woukd suggest civil service if you didn't want to get a degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

What about landscaping ?

• Advertisement

• If you’ve market researched an idea well, have acumen in your area of interest and a “business head” on you, you can employ yourself in many areas without a degree. If you’ve not got a business head, forget that idea. Most of the financially successful people in the world started very small, but had a singularity of purpose such that nothing that would befall them deterred them from following an oath to that particular metric of success.

Do you mean my own company or go work for someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Would have to be for yourself (no one walks into a landscape job for 50k especially with zero experience) but that being said it's going to be difficult. You'll need to be good and possibly have to subsidise building your portfolio as no one will hire a landscaper without asking for pictures of previous work. Also it's a manual labour job and needs to be taken seriously, one injury/pulled muscle you could be right back to square one.

Also I feel like you're looking for somewhat of a unicorn; if there was plentiful jobs around paying 50k with no experience/degree required majority of them would be snapped up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 EIapprentice

Not Monday-Friday but a shift role in a pharma or medical devices would be a great shout IMO, Money for jam and plenty of opportunity to upskill if you're that way inclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭HBC08

Painter,

No degree needed,little bit of practice and youtube vids.

You'll always have work and be able to chose your hours to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

dog grooming is very lucrative 120 euro to groom my dog and i had to wait 4 weeks for the appointment average small dog 40/45, doing 4 /6 dogs per day !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭billyhead

Plus a lot of them probably get paid cash in hand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Any job that is low entry in terms of qualifications and training is also one that can come under pressure and probably not a long term bet. Use it as a starting point to up skill to something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,676 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Not so long go, insurance was lucrative without a degree.

Particularly Commercial Insurance (sales and/or service), if I had to choose one division.

Manufacturing Technician in Pharma or Components. Training will be provided. Pretty good money.

• Advertisement

Without a degree, I don't think you'll get beyond 40-ish k per year in the civil service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭apkmbarry

Did you look that up, or just pull numbers out your backside? Because it's out by about 20k at least. By getting one single promotion to EO and just staying there, you're looking at 55k at the top end of the scale. HEO doesn't require a degree as far as I'm aware either, as they're internally recruited. Which pushed it even higher.

I've not met a single EO appointed within the last 10 years who doesn't actually have a degree.

Sure, it's not technically needed in the job-spec. But in reality, it's very hard to get now, as they have deliberately tried to raise the workforce quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭apache

That's very true. Costs me €60 and have to book well in advance. But the rent of the place would be very expensive I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

I know HEOs without a degree and a few APs. HEO should certainly be attainable without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭apache

Some well paid public Service jobs. You just need a leaving cert and can earn up to €70,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The problem with not having a degree is that no matter what job you get you will only progress so far without it.

Let's say you get a job in a factory on a production line, you do well and are promoted to supervisor, then team lead or whatever the next level up is

Then the job for higher than team lead comes up.

But now you are in bother because Mary who is also a team lead is also going for it, and she has a degree and is just as good as you at the job.

You will miss out.

So no matter what job you find OP, also try find time to get a degree, or at least some further education, it will do you no harm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Right because there will be no one else better qualified and your leaving cert is highly valued......

The reality is that there are plenty of well qualified people in the public services, with good people skills and well capable of playing office politics competing for the well paying jobs and your leaving cert just gets you in the door, not a seat at the top table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Painting, tiling, decorating.

Low setup costs, decent pay right out of the gate, cash jobs, work to suit your lifestyle. Start out with friends and family in the evenings and weekends to get the hang of it, then use them to advertise locally for you.

Work hard, get a good reputation, hire a few young lads to help you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Most people want a painter who has experience and can show they did quality work in previous jobs if they are going to pay them to paint their house.

Advertisement