Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

😂

Everyone is a critic. If you want to dictate to people what they can/can't post I suggest you set up your own website. Im sure it will be a huge success

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Just pulling you up on some of the inaccurate shite you post lest someone might believe it. Fact-checking you can call it.

"fact checking" worry about yourself first before you go around telling others what they can/can't post

Will leave at that, no interest in back & forth rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,230 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't think anyone has ever said that overholding is legal. Just that it may be the only option some people have.

In a previous post ages back in this thread I mentioned that there were thousands of people going to be made homeless. Someone who was in favor of lifting the ban said that I was being alarmist and that renters would just overhold so no-one would be made homeless.

And I think we'd both reluctantly agree that if we were in the position where we were going to be evicted, we might overhold too. Simply because it might be that or being homeless depending on our personal situations. I worked in Dublin but the nearest family I could stay with are in mayo. And if they weren't there I would have been homeless. That's part of the reason I moved to Germany, was just to avoid the threat of it.

The gov has screwed this up so much. they ended the ban with next to nothing in place to cope with the massive amount of people being made homeless. They should have either spent the time before the ban preparing or extended it another few months until they got something in place. They're just incompetent.

• Advertisement

The ban was short term. Was always going to be. It had to end at some time and apart from building a million housing what did people want?

The fact is people will be evicted, other people will move in, or house will be sold and people will buy freeing up other rental properties etc.

The ban has meant people have no ability to get access to their own property, not for months but for years now. I honestly don't know why people are so shocked it has ended. Covid was over more or less Jan 2022, the end of lockdowns etc, we are over 15 months later. How much more time did people want to have this ban in place?

We still have a supply issue and that has never been resolved. All during covid and after we have political parties blocking the development which could of provided some of the houses required. You have people all over Ireland blocking development for stupid reasons which mean they end up in planning for years and driev up the cost of the properties. This is something we should be looking at resolving.

Also as I always say, in cities stop building houses and large scale apartments is the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't think anyone is waiting for planning to go to work. Lost count of the number of new estates around here granted permission, none of them have even begun.

Most people are in favour of ending the ban or don't care. It's just shoite stirring by the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I was trying to convince my wife to stay in the business too as we were actually making a profit and had no issues, well no major ones anyway, but she won and when the eviction ban was announced that was us out. Its a slippery slope from here and noone will be able to climb back up it. Time to get out.

You better hope the next legislation change doesnt prevent your part 4 ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

I'd agree the government are incompetent. What you did was to take personal responsibility and you went to Germany. I emigrated myself years ago when I couldn't afford a house and I came back later. Not everyone can do that but many can, many can move to an area with less demand or with family for a while, it's tough but life can be tough.

To have our politicians advising taking over someone else's property outside of the terms of the agreed lease is outrageous. I think everyone can see situations where overholding might happen but to recommend it as a solution for everyone is rank incompetence. It's coming from politicians that did nothing to avoid this situation because they spent our MNC tax windfall budget surplus elsewhere for years to win votes. The overholding advice is being used purely to win votes, it's actually cynical. The current balance of power and upcoming election is making them desperate and it's a race to the bottom unfortunately for our politicians.

Ending the ban meant that thousands would potentially become homeless. That is 100% something the government should have prepared for and something they should have tried to prevent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

EU is striking down the Government's AirBnB legislation

The reason being it seems it too restrictive and did not apply it to large urban area only

Slava Ukrainii

People like to exaggerate. If people are leaving houses those houses don't suddenly disappear. They either get sold or get rented to someone else.

As I said what exactly did you want the government to do?

There's a demand for short term lettings. It supports tourism,business and folk travelling for all sorts.

With the cost of Hotels it would have been a serious hit to the tourist trade.

No problem then. No-one will be homeless. It's all grand. The people who are being evicted and can't find anywhere are just idiots. They'll waltz into another place. It's all just being exaggerated. I don't know why I, or anyone else was worried about them or expected the government to plan for it. maybe we should have more evictions. That would make it better according to your logic?

And yes, that was sarcasm.

People are going to be evicted into a rental market that can't accommodate them. This has been building up since the pandemic started. In that time the government could have put pressure on councils to buy more social housing. They could have done anything to help create a rental system that isn't about price gouging. And every single measure that they introduced since the ban was lifted should have been brought in months before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Completely agree. They desperately need someone to blame for the housing disaster. The utter focus on a tweet was Trump level discourse too but blaming McVerry for helping the homeless and vulnerable is a new low from the "I'm alright Jack" brigade.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Hilarious the reaction because I don't agree with you. You said thousands, now you are saying no-one. Maybe some people might become homeless but it won't be thousands more than what we already have

So you want councils to buy more houses? what houses are they buying because if you hadn't noticed we have a housing crisis. Which as I said it been made worse by blocking by numpties all over Ireland and of course political parties.

Plus if you read back on this thread people are going mad at councils buying up houses instead of first time buyers. So are you saying that the government should buy up all existing stock and leave first time buyers without a house? not much of a reward is it

So Im not sure that is the answer. Any other ideas?

None of them have started because we don't have the builders. We should have held onto all those polish lads.

This again shows a huge issue in Sinn Fein housing plan by the way, which is to get county councils to build the houses they promise. That sounds great but who exactly is going to build them? you can't just magic up thousands of construction workers unless you have a mass immigration of people into Ireland, which as we know will mean we need more houses to put them into. Which we don't have

Quite the pickle isn't it

Eviction ban made sense from the simple reason that you couldn't have people going to view apartments/hosues without risking spreading covid.

But it should have been very short term and dumped as soon as the lock downs ended and the market would have returned to the norm then.

What happened by extended it is exactly what you have described, we now have close to 3 years of eviction all going to happen fairly soon. Unless the government had a huge stack of houses available it was always going to be big news. But as I said, houses don't disappear, it will take a few weeks to level out but the doom merchants are loving this with numbers coming from all direction just to get juicy headlines and people lapping it up

In a few weeks time when the doom doesn't happen, what will happen? oh we will move onto the next end of the World item

Won't get them anyway, there's a similar crisis across half of Europe.

Anyone that tells you they can solve the housing crisis is blowing smoke up your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Kermit just did it.

I could add the way he has allowed executives in the poverty industry enrich themselves with six-figure salaries running "charities".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

He's just another contributor to the problem, possibly unwittingly, and there's a lot of contributors. Why say what he did in any case? How does it help renters or homelessness? It just creates another sh1tstorm and adds further confirmation for private lessors to exit the market.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

There's another reason why building hasn't started.

There are permissions for apartments in Dublin, but the builders won't build them, because the landlords won't buy them anymore because of the howling and screaming. Businessmen don't look just at what has happened but what is to come, and they figure that there will be some influence on a future government from the current opposition and don't like what they see.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Absolutely, like many others I'd imagine I had no plan to sell at all until an eviction ban was discussed.

I would have just left things going as they were for the next 20 years or longer.

It has definitely driven more landlords out, another case in a long line of rental market interventions that makes things worse.

But how many votes did they save or win with it as a grand political gesture?

That's what really matters.

The tiny germ of truth in your post is contained in the sentence that the government could have put pressure on councils to buy more social housing. The government did put such pressure, the money is available. However, two factors intervene. Firstly, there is the general incompetence of councils. They just about manage to look after libraries and parks, but little else. Secondly, all of the Dublin councils have opposition majorities are not going to get off their holes to do anything to help the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Similar reaction to how you treat others when they don't agree with you.

You have been on here time and time again saying that the properties being sold by the landlords don't disappear that they are bought up by councils, first time buyers, etc and that houses those, I agree with that. Where I have the problem is that when councils, first time buyers buy the ex-rental property it is no longer available to the rental market, so tell me this with 40,000 LL having left the rental property market already(according to Leo Varadkar on Newstalk yesterday) and another 5,000 set to leave where do the people who need to rent for what ever reason go if the that sector is shrinking? Answer that.

I know. That's why all the Polish etc left. They could walk into jobs at home and with the wages they got when working in Ireland they could set themselves up nicely back in Poland. The wages in Poland are going in one direction as well

Already answered multiple times. You will find the majority of people buying houses are already in rentals so they will free those up.

In terms of rental shortages, well thats a major problem because LL are been driven out of the market. Already discussed in detail on this thread and I have provided lots of information on how to keep and attract new LL's to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

Ok boys and girls, time to re-tell this fairytale for those who missed it, already posted before and in other threads:

Once upon a time, in the far away continent of Europeland, there was a nation called GoodButNotPerfect, or GBNP for short. This was a fair and prosperous land, with one the most equal societies in whole wide world. It had a benign, temperate climate, and was safe from most of the natural disasters that befell other nations, like earthquakes, volcano eruptions, life-threatening wildfires and floods. It had a much envied proportional election system for government and a progressive taxation system. It did have a violent and and poverty-ridden recent past, mainly because of their greedy, oppressive neighbour, Great Brainless (GB for short), which it had successfully overcome. All in all, it was one of the best nations in the whole wide world for quality of life. It aspired to someday change it's name from GoodButNotPerfect to AbsolutelyPerfect, something no nation had ever done in the history of the whole world.

However, it did face some significant problems, like every other nation in the whole wide world. Firstly, there was a shortage of one of the basic essentials, called Units. These Units were expensive items, of various fixed sizes, in a fixed location, but they were a requirement for the people of GBNP to have a happy life. Not everyone could afford to buy one, but there were other options: you could share with your family who owned one or you could rent one from someone. Some people had more than one Unit, they bought a second one as a pension or maybe inherited one from family. A lot of people borrowed money to buy them, from the moneylenders in GBNP. However, GBNP's population increased very quickly in a short space of time, a lot of it due to immigration. This was because it was a prosperous land and people were returning to their homeland or seeking their fortune, but also because of refugees from wars and conflicts in other lands. It was very difficult to produce units quickly enough for everyone, as they were costly and time consuming to make, and subject to a lot of regulation. So, a shortage of Units was the result. It became particularly hard for the people who rented Units to find any, something which we will return to.

The second problem was a group of people in the nations population called The Freeloaders, who expected the nations government to supply them with everything for free, including Units of their preferred size and location, and to run their lives for them so that they had no personal responsibility. This group also reproduced rapidly, in order to avail of more of the nations generous welfare.

The third problem was the opposition parties to the nations government were very cunning and cynical in their drive to obtain power. The main opposition party was called So Farcical (SF for short). Whenever there were plans to produce more Units, they objected and prevented them being produced as they knew this would make the problem worse and make more people angry that the government had not solved the problem. They promised that they would do what no-one else in the world could do, and solve the Unit problem immediately and once and for all. They claimed to have a Magical Money Tree that would assist them. The Pea Brained People party (PBP for short) also always objected to everything without having anything sensible to say. These opposition parties were heavily supported by the Freeloaders.

This tale is about the private citizens of GBNP who owned Units and rented them to people who didn't own any. Most of these owners were good but a small number were bad, and most renters were good but a small number were bad. The bad ones made life extremely difficult and stressful for the other good party, and it was tricky to figure out if you were engaging with a good one or bad one beforehand. The owners who rented paid a large amount of tax every year to the nations government on the revenue they received, sometimes more than their net income, but did so to keep their Unit for sale, or to give to a family member, in future years.

Due to constant and increasing criticism and pressure from the Freeloaders and the opposition parties, the nations government made some very foolish, short-sighted and ill-advised decisions in their effort to solve the Units rental problem, over a number of years. They forbid the owners to raise the price of the rental, no matter how much the input cost rose, the demand rose or the market developed. They created a special committee, the Ruining Things Brigade (RTB for short) which made it difficult for owners to get their Units back in good condition and made their life more difficult in general. They passed legislation which made the renting process more confusing, more difficult, and gave them and their Units less protection from the bad renters. Finally, they closed down a large part of the Unit rental market by forbidding owners from taking possession of their Units for a long period of time, even if they needed to use them. You ask: in the face of all these overwhelming obstacles, why would the owners not stop renting their Units and sell them to people who wanted to buy them? Well, that is exactly what happened. All the owners sold their Units. The people who had enough money to buy Units were very happy, but the people who didn't have enough money to buy and rented instead were very, very unhappy. Now they had to share a Unit with their family or friends. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth by the opposition parties and their supporters, the Freeloaders, who complained that there was now no supply of Units for the people who didn't have enough money to buy them. Sensible people tried to point out that this was the result of all the policies that the opposition had insisted on, and the Freeloaders had wanted. In fact SF and PBP and others like them had said they would go even further with these policies, as they didn't believe the owners should have any rights to their Units, they should be made surrender them to the Freeloaders. However, the opposition and the Freeloaders wouldn't listen, they were too busy wailing and moaning and blaming everyone else in the nation of GBNP.

I wish I could say there was a Happy Every After to this fairytale, but there isn't...

Now, luckily this is just a fairytale, as obviously nothing this stupid or crazy could happen in the real world inhabited by intelligent humans. So I don't want any comments pointing out things people disagree with, it's not real, it's just a simple story!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,333 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You spent waaaaay too much time on that shite.

• Advertisement

Even in the councils where the gov parties have a majority, they did nothing.

There was one interview I saw where a gov spokesperson was saying it's the councils fault and the interviewer at least had the balls to ask them if their party was in any councils. So their party was to blame either way.

Advertisement