Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's HUGE for the elections.

That gives the Democrats a 4 v 3 advantage in the State Supreme Court and will probably result in the over-turning of the wildly partisan gerrymandered districts giving the Democracts a solid shot at multiple seats.

It also likely neuters any potential future attempts at screwing with Election results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Isn't that what they've been doing for years now? If either Joe or Hunter Biden have committed crimes, then they should be charged, just like any other US citizen. The bottom line here is that nobody should be above the law, as everyone should want their public officials to be non-criminals. I don't know what's so difficult to understand about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This is a public representative asking the public to hand over their hard-earned dollars to a billionaire so that he can fight his lawsuits. What a disgusting little man Lindsay Graham really is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He did pay for it himself (technically) but because it was to benefit his campaign by hiding bad news about him from Voters, it becomes relevant in the context of campaign finance laws.

Also because he is a complete shyster he tried to hide the money as a business expense that he could write off against taxes etc. instead of simply paying it directly from his own pocket and saying/doing nothing more - The total involved was something like $150k which should be pocket change for a billionaire right??

So , yet again his arrogance , hubris and utter meanness with money will be his undoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

They will have David Pecker and Allen Weisselberg all saying the same thing. It'll be corroborated by Cohen.

The defence will sling **** at Cohen and while they will say correctly he is a scumbag, there are tapes which are irrefutable.

Also, they won't be able to lay a glove on the other two. And they will have receipts.

I honestly think this is a winnable case but the reality it it'll take over a year to get anywhere.

But in the meantime, trump has been charged, he has been arraigned and *there was no riot*.

So much for there being hell to pay.

Perhaps the penny has dropped with his supporters that he doesn't care about them.

He didn't march with them.

He didn't pay any of their legal fees.

He didn't pardon them.

He left them high and dry.

They were and are being prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and he did nothing.

I reckon that's warned them off any further violence.

He does have E Jean Carroll in 3 weeks.

He'll also have Georgia, the special counsel and possible charges for January 6 to contend with before this case is over.

• Advertisement

People are correct to some extent about this case.

It is the "weakest" of the cases , but that doesn't mean he is not guilty and shouldn't be held accountable for his actions though.

Ultimately he probably gets a fine and a suspended sentence of some kind , but he'll still be a convicted felon.

The other cases are much bigger and carry much larger risk for him though as the Georgia and Federal cases will definitely result in actual incarceration if convicted.

If this isn't a metaphor, I don't know what it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

Looking in the paper at the transcripts of his "speech" (speech would be kind given its rambling nature), does anyone else get the sense each ramble is less a campaign effort and more of a Fr Ted's Golden Cleric style rant?

"That was traitors. And now onto corrupt prosecutors".

It would be funny only for the fact that he's the head of the Republican Anger cult, and the potential danger that poses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Now that the Stormy Daniels story is known I expect Putin to reveal stories about the D and golden showers from a Russian hooker 😬😬

If Putin has dirt on Trump he'll keep it quiet , he needs Trump influential and compliant.

If Trump had won in 2020 , Putin would have had a puppet installed long ago in Ukraine as Trump wouldn't have lifted a finger to help them when Putin invaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

His "Campaign" will just be all about him (obviously).

ALL he will talk about is how badly he is being treated and he will offer nothing in terms of discernible policy or plan.

It will be incredibly boring to all but the most fervent "fans" who could listen to him reading the McDonalds drive-thru menu and think they'd just heard the Gettysburg address.

Outside of the GOP Right wing fever dream he is a busted flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Wisconsin vote shows the Dems simply get the vote out. Let Trump stand and lose.

Exactly the same thought about Father Ted and the speech

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some intern in the DA's office is going to have to go over transcripts and anything Trump says about the trial to see if he incriminates himself!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump's speech last night was weird. Low key, low energy. Apart from the normal 'woe is me' lines, that's all it was. A pity party.

But, unusally, for these types of events, there was little in the way of a call to beat them in court. The sword of justice and the shield of Truth (I think that was some UK politician who subsequently got failed!). He didn't put forward any defence, he didn't in any way try to rebut the charges.

Just that it was all a plan to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Well, yeah. His basic claim is that it is just a political witch-hunt. He is continuing to just pretend that there isn't any substance at all to the indictments against him. That he is just being persecuted because he is a Republican and they fear him.

Of course the fact of the matter is that he is being prosecuted because he broke the law. Any claims that the charges shouldn't have been filed in the first place are basically just saying that either Trump in particular or politicians in general should be above the law. That they should be able to get away with breaking the law.

Republicans on this and most other topics are just hypocrites. They claim that prosecuting Trump for things he actually did is just a matter of trying to score political points. Whereas them investigating Hillary Clinton for literally decades wasn't at all political. They were just doing their jobs. Even though they investigated her for literally decades, for a wide variety of "reasons", and were never able to find anything to charge her with. But when Trump is investigated, and the evidence was put in front of a grand jury, that grand jury came back with 34 felony indictments. But somehow the Trump investigation was baseless, while the Clinton investigation was totally justified.

With Republicans it is always projection. They accuse Democrats of going after Trump for no reason other than politics, because that is what they do to their opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,975 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How long did it go on for? Just watching it on Sky News now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think I saw it went for 25 minutes. Be careful, though, several networks cut away before he was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,975 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thank you. Loads of drivel by the sounds of most of it anyway. The same rubbish from Trump. He seems devoid of learning.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hell I’d wager over a decade straight of badgering us over these claims against Hillary, Hunter, etc that Republicans made their own bed priming the American people for a future where more and more often politicians are taken to court for potential crimes, even high ranking officials, nevermind the precedent that you can investigate someone 11++ times and it’s still above board - since Obama took over hell, no, they even implied they’d go after Al Gore - republicans have spent decades telling the American people “hey these democrats are very corrupt and getting away with it from the deep state we should totally prosecute them”

I shared the fox feed in an earlier post it doesn’t cut away

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id say it was his craziest speech yet, Hunter Bidens laptop got 2 mentions within the first minute and then it went further downhill from there. It was a ranting and raving bumbling mess and he lost the audience several times during it. I must say as well I was very disappointed that we didnt even get any news of his forthcoming healthcare plan, it must be due any day now?

Otherwise in the Stormy case his defence that he would have paid her anyway to hide the story from Melania and regardless of the election is already toast because the DA has evidence that he told Cohen if they could delay the payment until after the election then they wouldnt pay her at all. In other words Trump didnt care about the story getting out to Melania so long as it didnt effect his chances of election. The payment was all about preventing the story emerging during the election campaign and Alvin Bragg will be able to prove that to a jury without trouble.

Has there been any fallout yet from MTG and Don Jnr tweeting photos of the judges daughter? In the MAGA world you can only presume she is going to get death threats now. Im half wondering did they do it to try to get the judge to recuse himself from the case.

Barr - I lied for you about the Mueller report and put pressure on law enforcement to look the other way regarding your actions and also interfered with prosecutions of friends of yours. I will go down in history as a legal lackey for the most corrupt president of all time, thus destroying my legacy.

Trump - yeah, but what have you done for me lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think cap lock is broken his phone

That part really stuck out to me too when I read the SOF, he was going to be undone by his own stinginess.

If he had just paid Stormy like he had already agreed to, prosecutors would never have been able to pin it to the election over trying to simply hide the fact from Melania in perpetuity, beyond all reasonable doubt. He gave proof positive through being an untactful miser that he only and solely cared about the information coming out before the election.

We knew the right have gone insane, but they've gone insane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

What I like to do is imagine him hitting shift singularly each letter

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Here is a copy of the prosecutor's statement of facts in the NY Trump case:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/documents/84fba797-216a-490c-b75d-d77bca6d10f3.pdf?itid=lk_inline_manual_1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭trashcan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement