Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,046 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well ya that's kinda my point. The lack of education in England as to the true make-up of their country is mind blowing.

The media play their part in that. Nothing stopping them having it front page. Plenty of stuff the general public don't think about much gets on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Nicola Sturgeon's husband arrested in relation to finances in the SNP.

It's looking very dodgy. I think we know the real reason for Sturgeon's sudden exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Whether its Trump or Murrell, nobody is above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its far too coincidental that her resignation has to be because of this, they obviously got word it was coming and she had to jump for the good of her party.

So the excuse presented by some female commentators that she left because she hadn't enough energy (the Jacinda Arden excuse) has been exposed as rubbish.

• Advertisement

Was it not presented by her as the reason? Most were a bit surprised but at the time it was literally all there was to go on, I don't think anyone deserves criticism for simply believing and repeating what she said when there was no obvious or reasonably supportable alternative reason.

Well, she hardly was going to say, I think my husband is going to be arrested. Have you found the real reason that Ardern has resigned yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The latest news that a 21 year old has been given community service for the rape of a 13 year old when he was 17 is not going to help either.

It is a result of new sentencing rules came in that said u25s should not have custodial sentences.

And even though the rules were recommended by a independent body, the SNP supported them.

Soft on crime doesn't win votes. It's a bit like the Tories - too long in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Told youse a while ago this pair and the rest of the SNP leadership had no interest in independence and were just gouging independence supporters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Police arrested Nicola Sturgeon's husband today for issues with campaign finances.

I think this will weigh heavily on Nicola's resignation as well as the SNP as the police investigation was already going on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bad luck to Nicola, her husband, her pet hamster Yusuf.

The damage to independence from them may be fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's not been good few weeks for Sturgeon. The rumour mill has it that both she and the husband are secretly gay and the marriage was a sham (I'm not saying anything libellous here....these rumours have even been addressed in the UK broadsheets recently).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

A police tent in the garden? Officers photographing outside in the back garden? This is some house search so it is and not confined to just seizing computers or office paper files.

I think that's the one thing the new First Minister of the SNP doesn't want nor need. He'll be a lame duck. Sturgeon ran into an cull de sac as she failed domestically, could not deliver a 2nd referendum and was always vague on currency for an independent Scotland.

They’re only digging up the feicing garden now- is this where they think the missing 600k is burried?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I guess the estimation, including my own, that it was the Gender Bill biting Sturgeon in the backside was misestimated. I'm still sure it didn't help the credibility of her leadership but the speed with which the ideologically inclined pounced on it was premature, against the more immediate crisis coming down the tracks.

If they are digging up the garden shes going to have a hard time denying knowledge of whatever he was up to.

In fairness something could be buried without her knowledge -but obviously I’m not saying there’s anything buried there- but it’s a very unusual raid- documents and laptops etc would be standard fare for the taking- you don’t usually see shovels in fraud cases - if it was part of the 600k they’re looking for, there's obviously some sort of evidence of a paper trail indicating large cash withdrawals - we’ll know over the coming months most likely what they’ve found if anything

I wonder if the new First minister knew what Sturgeon and her husband did. Is he really the self described luckiest man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Looks like the prospect of Scottish Independence is ebbing away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As long as there isn't a sudden lurch towards thinking Salmond is the answer again...

I think everyone accepts if there is any wrong doing, it will damage the SNP. Depends then how brittle the numbers for indy are. Starmer certainly can negate it by offering true devolution to all four parts of the Union. And LB winning 15/20 seats in Scotland at the next GE is the prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

For those wondering about the background to all this, have a read at this blog two years ago

Not a chance Labour will do a deal with the SNP.

Labour are on course for a comfortable majority and won't need any alliances or support.

Sturgeon and the SNP have been taking the Scottish voter for a ride for many decades, not only on fake independence dreams but also on domestic matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wouldn't be so sure. Would have been much worse if Sturgeon's house had been raided while she was still First Minister - that would definitely have been hugely embarrassing to the SNP. No evidence at all that the party or movement itself was / is corrupt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would have thought digging in the garden usually means looking for a dead body - literally.

Who but an idiot would bury money in their own garden - surely a bit of ingenuity would launder the stashed ill-gotten loot. Bury it if you must, but in a lonely remote location far from any link to the perpetrator.

Is this a diversion from Johnson's travails?

• Advertisement

LB need to win 15/20 seats in Scotland at the next GE, otherwise getting a majority looks a lot less likely. What I'm saying is Starmer does that by offering more devolved powers to the regions, one being Scotland.

Advertisement