Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Just in a follow up to the above, in thirteen finals from '95 to 07 there was a total of thirty goals scored, six of them in the one sided 2003 final- an average of just over two goals per final. In the four Finals Limerick have played in, in recent years,there has been a total of 12 goals were scored and the one in which there was no goal was played in the depth of winter. So it is pure nonsense to suggest that the number of goals scored in Finals has dramatically reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

That's a good defence but the Tipp lad’s piece is a criticism of how the non-application of the rules of the game are creating a mirage of entertainment (ball pinging around, scores aplenty, long distance points, speed and physicality and agility etc) but long term, this (for me) is the road to ruin, it's not hurling. It's a game taken over by smart and innovative coaches who find very clever (and aesthetically pleasing) ways to circumvent the actual rules (endless and often illegal handpasses, hurleys that are just 30 inch bats with massive bas's, 8-10 steps allowed etc)

No one is exclusively pointing the finger at Limerick (the Tipp writer argues if all changes were implemented he’d still expect Limerick to win), and yes, Cork over last 20 years are perhaps the worst offender of all with regardto abandoning traditional hurling methods.

For me, the game is just becoming ridiculously easy. I watched two U20 games last week and every player looked a world beater, but it’s an illusion, it's phony, it's just being made too easy. Fit and athletic players who can run all day, are being made look like superstars because they can do whatever they want with the ball in hand, and in turn cannot fail to make clean contact with a hurley that is so big in the bas and so short in length.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Greasy paw and Alonzo both make great points above. I don't think any genuine hurling follower will try to demean Limericks success, I said it before this is an outstanding team. They would win any way you like to play it, just a super bunch of hurlers. But I agree with Alonzo the game of hurling is fast moving away from what we all recognize, driven by smart coaches and athleticism. I would like to see the handpass throwball, and the steps issues properly tackled. That would be a great start at protecting the skills of the game. The cheating by all players now is chronic and it's starting to turn off a lot of supporters. Hopefully the clamour will continue and the gaa will be forced to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

There seems to be some unresolved issues going on here and quite a bit of confusion. The level of hand passing going on in the game is surely not going to be adjudicated on by fact that nobody got maimed or injured. Handpassing hardly is being accused of causing injuries?

Post edited by Rosita on

I feel the inconsistency in applying the rules is amazing. Look at the situation where Will O'Donoghue, is rightly banned for making contact will young Tynan's head and yet Damien Cahillane, a man with past history in this regard, gets away scot free after hitting young Drennan across the head with a hurley. Why no further mention of or inquiry into that.

• Advertisement

The article said the game is now gone boring. If it is how come the Munster Final tickets last year sold out in absolute record time. There was over 43,000 at the game and obviously thousands more would have attended if they could get a ticket. And remember Cork and Tipp, 'THE MOST ATTRACTIVE PAIRING' were not involved, in any shape or form. Remember when Joe Hayes called a Limerick/ Clare Munster Final Pairing 'the B Final'.

Again dragging Tipperary and Cork into it and mention of some comment made by some guy about Clare and Limerick suggests, like I said, unresolved issues.

On the substantive point, I do think that these 0-30 to 1-24 games can be tedious where one team is clearly better but the other can still get a score every 90 seconds. I think handpassing has contributed to many cheap scores. People questioning raises historical sores. It's still possible to loathe other counties if that's your thing but discussion of how to improve or reform a game should not be influenced by who is winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Again changes being mentioned to hurley /bas sizes...

I think the sliotar weight has a lot to do with too, with center backs scoring points from their own 65yd line.

Great skill and all that , but scores from everywhere kind of diminishes the game, when everyone can score from everywhere!

Thats a change i would make... Heavier sliothars.

Post edited by greenspurs on

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I agree. Giving away a foul on your own 45m line shouldn't result in a free shot on goal, which how accurate the top players are these days results in a score 95% of the time

I'd desist from the Amateur Psychology. The fact is that when other counties, including Limerick, were racking up massive scores in 2018 people were gushing in the praise of the standard of Hurling in the All Semi Finals and The Final. How come high scores have become such a big issue so quickly. Limerick edged KK and Cork that year scoring 27 points against the Cats and 31 against Cork. Mulcahy Flanagan and Gullane all scored great points, mainly after beautiful long stick passes from the likes of Byrnes, Hannon, Finn or O'Donovan. Most of the points they got in '18 were actually scored from inside sixty yards, except Dowling's massive free, which seemed to knock the stuffing out of Cork

• Advertisement

Alonzo

Do you not think that if a player is digging or dragging out of another player all day that we should not look into how we deal with that as well. If a player clearly shoves the butt of a hurley into a man's groin should he not be punished. And I don't care what county the assailant comes from. One evening long ago, in Thurles a Full Back before did a knack like this before the throw in and the Ref saw it and went down and yellow carded. But I have never seen it dealt with like that since. This old phrase 'it's all part of the game ' does not wash for me. If we are having an overhaul lets go the whole hog.

Re. the amateur psychology, if you leave out irrelevant references to who said what years ago (in a discussion ostensibly about improving the sport right now) you will not invite on amateur psychology.

Yes, when everybody can score from nearly anywhere it ceases to be a wonder. But it's a difficult conservation to have with many as it's so often just attributed to s&c, greater skill levels etc. The idea that equipment (which is more or less unregulated) might be a factor won't be widely discussed nor will the role of constant handpassing (leaving aside the legality question) in creating overlaps and an easy scoring opportunity. The great difficulty it creates is that huge gaps appear between teams very quickly as, like rugby, the team with most possession has a chance to dominate the scoring. Can't see it being rowed back though.

Post edited by Rosita on

Twenty five years ago Sean McMahon was regularly scoring frees from as far out as Diarmuid Byrnes is now. This idea that you can score from anywhere is disproved by the fact that only a few select players are doing it. BTW what is this nonsense about equipment. Could you specify exactly what you are talking about or is it just another of your bewildered contentions like your absurd idea that all these hatfuls of goals were scored in big games twenty years ago. Shall we say I resolved that for you by quoting actual facts in support of my argument.

As regards big gaps in games,they have always occured, when great teams are at their peak like Tipp 64/65, Kerry in the late Seventies and of course KK in more recent years. However like the present Limerick high point peak periods soon pass and a new best team will hopefully comes along to thrill us soon. I make a point of enjoying skillful teams regardless of where they come from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Looking foward to the weekend of hurling. All 3 teams will be up against it. The timing of the minor match isn't ideal. This will be their first test.Couple of nice hurlers on it all the same.

The 3 guys with the senior will be a loss to the u20s but it will open the door to a few others and they're getting great experience with the seniors. We need to unearth a few players.They haven't being with the group to date but hopefully after this weekend they might get a game or two with the 20s and as someone else said these aren't knock out games. Zac Bay,bill Hughes,Killian Corcoran and a few of the kierans and injured lads will all be additions who weren't part of last year's panel.Denis Walsh was carrying a shoulder injury around Christmas hopefully he will be back.

As we know alot of our lads will be judged after this match sunday.It's a Pity Richie hogan Is out after working so hard to get back. He picked up a hand injury after the penalty and before the schmozzle. We probably won't see a huge amount of changes. I'd like to see us continue with Lawlor at 6 and Tommy at 3.Id start Richie Reid instead of Corcoran.We dont often say this but our midfield was good the last day and scored 3 points. Will o Donahoe will be a loss for limerick but they've huge options and flexibility.

Cody might start for Clifford but I like the look of Clifford he's big,strong fast and direct.Donnelly although dropping a few short has done well and worked hard.We need him to cement a position this year. Billy Ryan could start for the injured hogan. We might have tj and mullen who have returned to training on the bench. Georoid dunne has done well off the bench.

Although we havent learnt a huge amount Infairness to lyng he's tried alot of players and padriags positioning looks a smart one and I'd be in favour of experimenting with Lawlor at 6 he offers a better presence granted we could be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Lynch and Casey are big additions but they have the luxury of leaving 3 or 4 all stars on the bench and still winning.They turn the screw after half time.

It's a tall order for sure sunday. Limerick are so experienced while we're trying to experiment and learn a different game plan.it will be interesting to see what way lyng sets the team up. They've so many star players but Nicky quid sets the ball rolling with his puckouts.We will need an awful lot to go right and be very efficient and them to be below par.we will probably push up and be brave and bring huge work rate and most expect limerick to pull away with a 6 or 7 point win but kk definitely won't fear them and will be really looking foward to having a go off the best at the moment.

I have no idea what the equipment thing is about but people keep mentioning it. Keep an eye out for that. But you do prove the point that it won't be discussed by some.

Many of your references are utterly baffling, not least the superior claim that you enjoy skilful teams regardless of where they come from. What has where any team comes from got to do with anything? Looks like you are taking on the Kilkenny paranoia because you're on that forum. The point being discussed is a general hurling issue. You still appear to be dragging imaginary battles past into this. Not sure what a Kerry football team that won 4 consecutive All Ireland titles averaging 10 points per final has got to do with, for example, a Joe McDonagh final which has so many cheap scores it ends up at 5-19 to 4-21.

Laois scored 21 points in a Leinster championship game last year. You mentioned Kilkenny in the context of big gaps in scores; in the Brian Cody era Kilkenny played in ten All Ireland finals where they scored fewer points than this. Now maybe the Laois players are just more "skilful" but unfortunately they lost that match by 22 points.

Now, of course, maybe loads of scores and less competition for possession in games (other than an almighty ruck/exhibition of "intensity" in the middle of the pitch) is your thing but people are entitled to question the value and actual source of some of these high scores. Defenders are supposed to be better than ever but they're conceding a score from nearly every attack now.

Neither have I any idea what your goals argument is about or what you disproved. But it is a fact that there have been more All Ireland winners who did not score a goal in the final since 2000 than there was in the entire previous history of the sport. The point about diminishing goals at that end of the sport is not even debatable. And again it looks like it's more than good defending as defenders are conceding record numbers of scores overall.

Post edited by Rosita on

Well as regards the goals we can go back to the teens, thirties and forties if we want but the fact is in twelve out of thirteen finals in the Modern game there was twenty four goals scored or an average of two goals per game. Furthermore when Cork and Kilkenny played in Four Finals, the last one sixteen years ago, there was a sum of four goals scored in all four finals. By contrast there was 16 goals scored in last five Five and thirteen scored in the four Limerick were involved in. Remember also that this is an age when the art of goalkeeping and defense is far better coached that it was twenty years ago. So the dearth of goals is a nonsense argument.

Brian, at a certain level why shouldn't it?. I have seen players cynically foul in the half back line just to frustrate quick delivery of the ball into the forwards and especially if they know the opposition do not have an excellent long range free taker in their locker. This slows up the game a lot more than hand passing ever did. I have seen some teams purposely repeatedly foul in those circumstances and never get carded for persistent fouling. BTW, where did application of that rule go or dropping the hurley and hand passing the ball for that matter.

But having said all that Alonzo, how many of those players will be a TJ, a Young Tynan,-a hugely promising talent- a Sean Finn or Peter Casey. The fact is the vast majority of most U20 teams do not make it on to good Senior teams. I am afraid, as a lad who long ago long possessed some of the fine skills of the game, but could never be arsed to get fully fit, you were never at the pace of the game, even fifty years ago if you were not fit. As far back as 95 when Loughnane had the Clare Panel running up a hill in Tallow at 6am or '96 when Griffin had Wexford Players tearing over Sand Dunes in Curracloe, at a similar ungodly hour, fitness levels has gone through the roof and there is no going back. The days of old when things were done differently is long gone. Even at the height of Covid certain team managements and their panels clearly broke the rules in this regard, which gives an idea of how ruthless some people are in the pursuit of the Holy Grail.

What is this thing about 'Kilkenny Paranoia' I have worked with, mixed with and even played with KK hurling men over the last fifty years and I dont think I ever encountered a Paranoid KK Person, at least in relation to Hurling. In fact I have always found them to be sporting and magnanimous in victory or defeat. I would say the same for the Tipp Hurling People I have met face to face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Yes, looking forward to all three matches. Galway have yet another brilliant minor team by all accounts. I wonder how they do it but they have fallen away by under 20 level. It's no wonder they were anxious to join Leinster and get properly tested.

Wexford will be up for it as usual against a Kilkenny team. Our under 20s will be fully tested on Saturday. Mark Dowling will need to have our lads fully tuned in from the start.

Kilkenny seem to be the only team willing to take on Limerick at this stage of the year. The media would have us believe that Waterford weren't too bothered against us as they didn't want to face Limerick, just yet. Similarly with Cork although they're not out in the Munster Championship for another 3 weeks. Mind you it didn't stop Cork been "physical" against us and it's where Richie Hogan picked up his hand injury.

I'd stick with D Corcoran to give him more game time, and hold R Reid in the subs if he is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I've heard the U20's don't expect to have Drennan, Clifford or Dunne back for selection. I've also heard there won't be many changes from the starting team against Cork, if training is anything to go by.

I couldn't care less who you worked with and care even less what you think of people. No idea why you feel the need to share that. I've come across plenty of them here. Any thing less than utter sycophancy is seen as "bitterness".

No idea what Tipperary has to do with this. I never mentioned that county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Nobody on here cares what you think of us either but that doesn't stop you from telling us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,908 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

Kindly report a post if you have an issue with it.

Threadban List updated in Opening Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

Seems an opinion is not allowed when it comes to this poster

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Some load of nonsense being posted on this forum lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Anyone know if the U20 game is being shown/streamed anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭robwen

Clubber.ie are showing u20 €11.99 & the minor Friday €10

Advertisement