Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Ill tell you what will convince landlords that the goal posts will stop moving all the time. More legislation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Simply not true about the sweet heart deal angle, you are swallowing the propaganda of objectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Like you swallow the propaganda of those in government, Tell me did the Developer pay the market price for the public lands on the Oscar Traynor Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Theres a little village about half way to Ashbourne from Swords. Was a lovely little village and the srvioces there could cope. You would want to see the place now. Houses everywhere. The whole place is a building site. That place is collapsing under the pressure now and as usual ssome services promised but very little delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,333 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think a city needs more than just a population number to be considered so. Otherwise Tallaght would have been a city a long time ago.

The house across the road from me was rented until January. Noone in it since. I was looking out for it on Daft but havent seen it there yet.

I used to know lots of other lanldords but they are all out now but even the last few years none of them were renting using daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

My two cents on eviction ban and the housing crisis in general:

Eviction bans should not exist. There will always be a few people who will exploit such a rule.

A proper system of inspections of rental properties should be put in place as soon as possible. Landlords not willing to maintain properties to the required standards should be "encouraged" to remediate issues or exit the rental market through imposition of fines but also the provision of tax incentives to remediate issues.

Laws should be amended to better facilitate sale of rental properties without impacting the tenure of those living in properties

A major investment in new and refurbished accommodation should be launched. National pension reserve fund should be used. It will generate a return for generations. This accommodation should be ring fenced for the rental market as there will always be a requirement for a portion of the housing stock to be in the rental market. Proper provision of serviced high density apartments where people work or go to college will also free up family homes in the same areas that are currently tied up with house sharers, relieving another problem.

Investment also to address vacant units above shops and business in cites, towns and villages. Possibly a system of grants / government backed loans to the building owner to refurb these apartments but with the condition that these are ring fenced for the rental market with security for the tenant.

Air B n'B where the owner is not resident should be outlawed. These are apartments and houses that received their planning as residential not holiday accommodation. There are over 600 homes available tomorrow night that are listed as "entire place" and I'm sure there are many 100's more already taken.

Good quality modular accommodation should also form part of the solution for the short and medium term. There is a hang up on "prefabs" that's there since the 70's. We need solutions now from wherever possible. Shiners and PBP etc. want solutions to the accommodation crisis until solutions are actually identified when it becomes "well, not that solution".

The overall goal in the next 10 years should be to develop a portion of the housing stock that is permanently in the rental market, with long term leases and almost "permanent" tenancy where the landlord maintains to a good standard but the tenant is also expected to keep the property in reasonable condition. Look to something similar to what exists in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

True

Tallaght is part of the Urban Sprawl of Dublin City, hence considered part of Dublin City. Swords was never part of the sprawl, it's always been its own Village -> Town -> (City?)

I suppose there's the economic activity in the area too that defines whether "a place" is a city/town/suburb. Tallaght has its own hospital, college and has a big industrial area.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,230 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

they could have given NAMA a remit to do what's best for the country rather than selling so much off to vulture funds.

To be fair the signs of the crises we're in have been around for 6-7 years. House prices and rents were increasing massively. And the government left it far to late to do anything. If they'd done any type of future planning or met any of their targets it wouldn't be as bad as it is now.

The ability to buy out was in 2002 and before the crash. Since then you can't.

You need to check your sources.

Buying public land has nothing to do with the precentage of social houses they had to build as part of an estate so not sure why you are mixing the both of them up.

Also Oscar Traynor project has 40% as social housing.

Well my property went sold to the council just now. What a relief to be finally out. Now I can sit back and watch the rest of the car crash from the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

I didn't day that. I think you need to go back and read my post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

That’s an interesting one, not the Pakistani guy, but just in general working in the black economy under the table doing cash jobs, I’d imagine it’s easy enough to add 2 grand a month on top of the dole and HAP, even just cleaning peoples houses would give a decent wedge a month. I know where I am house cleaner charges 60 euro for the morning another 60 for the evening, they know the people they’re working for so all cash in hand 3 days a week’ll give you 1400 on top of HAP medical card, dole and the rest.

Even without the dole it’s still a nice chunk of cash you’d have to be earning 80 grand a year to get similar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,466 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Peter McVerry has apologised to Leo Vadarkar. He now says his information may have been wrong.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fr-peter-mcverry-apologises-to-leo-varadkar-saying-eviction-ban-information-may-have-been-incorrect-42419876.html

The government are supposed to govern. they should have provided a solution to this before it got so bad. But if someone holds over in a place because they have no alternatives, I can't blame them. I don't want them to do that. It is wrong. But for them to live on the streets could be worse.

And there aren't really alternatives. there's so few properties available. And the ones that are available are massively over priced. Buying isn't really an option. Most people can't save enough for a deposit and rent. If they could then they would have bought already. The cost of a mortgage is less than the cost of renting.

they could emigrate. I did. But that's not an option for a lot of people. Moving to another country/continent is a pretty drastic course of action when all you're trying to do is find somewhere to live. That's the kind of thing you expect refugees to do. It also costs a lot of money. I'm single and I spent thousands moving. I can imagine if you have a family it would cost a lot more.

People are planning. they are trying to find somewhere to live. Do you think they're lazy? Go onto daft and myhome and find somewhere to live on a budget, say 1500. And remember that if you apply for it, you'll probably have a hundred other applicants.

I know of lots of people who would rent their parents empty houses or their holiday homes to people in need - if they could get a guarantee they could have it back in a year or whatever time they choose to give it to them for. But the only guarantee now is that these poeple could just keep the property and not move out when they said they would. Backed by charities, quangos, councils, TDs and boards.

Is it any wonder that there is nowhere available.

• Advertisement

Last thing McVerry wants is a light shined onto him. He is better off keeps the government on the good side

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wonder what the source of his information was that he considered it worthy of gospel.

He's wrong about the eviction ban and Leo.

Depends where you go in England.

Anyway the point is that these couples are getting out because there's no future here. And they're not alone in thinking that.

Don't make it sound like a conspiracy by charities.

People need somewhere to live. You could give them a house for a month or year but that just kicks the can down the road. Some might manage to get a deposit together and buy but most won't and so in a years time they'll be in the same situation.

Id say his bluff was called. Probably never was a source.

yep. You're pretty much fecked in the entirety of Ireland. Are there any counties where there's a surplus of rental properties at an affordable rent? It's not like Dublin is too expensive so Cork/Galway/Limerick etc is an option.

Most of the major cities have a housing crisis. If these people are actually thinking about moving to England they should be taking a good long look at what location they can move to and what job they can get in that location.

Do they not need visa's now as well?

Plenty of villages around Ireland with properties available to rent.

Cavan which is circa an hour commute from Dublin you can rent a 3 bed/2bath for 1200 per month. Monaghan seems to be similar, Louth, Leitrim etc etc.

Limerick based on daft for 4 bed/4bath is circa 2k per month

This is just off daft without contacting local estate agents who would hold stock

They've done the checks. While there may be some risk attached, they're still in a much better position to buy a home and start a family than they will ever be here. Assuming the shambles re:housing is allowed to continue and fester.

That's the state of the nation for a lot of 30 somethings here. Bust a move now before it's too late.

• Advertisement

Ladbible had a pi**take video of "location location location" and they ended up putting the person on a tree.

It turned out at end he was Irish and told him to move to Ireland as it has to be better for housing than in UK :-)

Ok it was a joke but the message was clear under it.

Advertisement