Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The tinder swindler has moved onto cougars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I would have to agree with this. You need to have your wits about you and be pretty savvy. And anyone looking for money or even to be paid for on dates, needs sending packing, sharpish!

My mams friend does online dating in her 70's god bless her. She's had a few scammers try it on but has the good sense to spot them and jog them on … and then regales us with the tales - she's hilarious. She's found someone now though and they're engaged. Not moving in together or getting married or anything. Just perpetually engaged. It's adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭YellowLead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Sorry, but if people are dumb enough to fall for things like that they kind of deserve it

I think so but I do feel bad for elderly people or people with special needs, who might not have the same decision making capacity.

Anyone else, yep it’s hard to have sympathy.

Though recently I have begun to question whether or not it’s somebody’s fault if they are dumb. I used to get annoyed with people for being stupid - but maybe in some cases they just have low intelligence genetically or have been cocooned somehow 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Advertisement

Some are born stupid and will never learn, but I think most people are capable of learning from bad experiences.

The people in the first group are very frustrating, but if they keep offering themselves up on a silver plate then I don’t see why one shouldn’t take them up on their offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

Online dating is over and people are bored with it Chat GPT is now the main men / women on it. Bullshit scripts and no intention of meeting any one its merely a trollfest for the uglies & undateables !

I have never encountered chatgpt on it - just people looking to meet. But men do come across a whole load of spam / fake profiles - many say they are easy to spot though? Women don’t, because we aren’t blinded by our d***s :)

Ah will you stop with that shite - we went a whole 210 pages without mentioning CHATGPFeckingT ! 😆

• Advertisement

Yeah it will be a while yet before we have the A.I holographic type girlfriends from Blade Runner. Until then we'll have to stick to the dating apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

We have no hope without the apps 🙈😭 the older you get the more the anxiety kicks in, having the nerve to ask someone out in person. The amount of women using filters though.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I think overthinking can be a barrier. What’s there to lose if you talk to them and aren’t interested? Nothing

Just talk to them when they are drunk to increase your chances

I’m not sure I understand. Changed you in what way? (Not a pointed question btw but sometimes I don’t get things)

It’s a simple thing. Let’s face it, not a single person in this thread hasn’t at one time or another done something monumentally stupid. If you happen to encounter another person while they’re having a moment of peak dumbfuckery, then being kind about it or at least tolerant of their lapse in judgement, is the best course of action. “This person messed up, let’s not make it any worse”

The caveat being that continued and ongoing stupidity needs to be called out for what it is. And heavily discouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Unfortunately society is a piece of **** that does the opposite. Lets face it most people judge a book by its cover.

I know - we really can be unnecessarily awful to each other at times.

Surely the mature gentlemen you're dating aren't blinded by their dícks? 😁

"My dick has taken me places I wouldn't go with a gun."

Aye, during my 20's my díck led me down some dark alleys, both literally and figuratively.

• Advertisement

Well folks, long time no proper speak per se. Have myself in a mental fix here over a potential date on Saturday. Just going to copy what I've said elsewhere for the sake of simplicity.

Several days ago we arranged a date for Saturday. We get on very well, fantastic chemistry thus far. Walk in the park, bit of dinner, maybe some drinks, then s3x. We both knew this, we both agreed to this. She was a little more 'sex motivated' than I to be perfectly honest.

The problem, aside from my self esteem being on the floor yet again if this goes t!ts up, is that we're staying the night in a hotel. A hotel that I reserved in advance because you know yourself, trying to get into a hotel on the day (especially on the weekend) would be difficult enough without spending a sh!te load of money. I have until a minute before midnight tonight to cancel the reservation for free. Otherwise it's going to cost €110. Putting it as politely as possible, I'm not crapping 50s, so I'd really prefer not to have to pay 110 quid for nothing.

In case it matters, I'll very briefly explain where the concerns are coming from. Essentially, from the first day we spoke until the day before yesterday, the texts/calls/video calls were frequent, engaging, and very enjoyable. Yesterday, it was just texts, which is fine in itself of course, but very far apart, and not especially enthusiastic (?) is the best word I can think to use here. It's worrying me, a lot. When people have sh!t to do, they have sh!t to do, I understand this. Sure I can be the same. But, there was no hint, let alone mention that they're particularly busy or anything. Which is what I'd do in such a situation.

What should I do?

Now, couple of things of note. 1: There's a strong possibility that I'm just completely overthinking this and all is grand. But, if it does go t!ts up, it wouldn't be the first time. 2: If it does go t!ts up and I miss the free cancellation window, I'd probably go on my own anyway. Just bring a bottle of vodka to the hotel room and try to forget about it 😂

EDIT: Also, this one is in her 20s as well. Some of you will be proud of me for that I'm sure 😂

I’m a delighted she is in her 20s. But….does she live really far away???

Personally I feel like all that is way too much for a first date. Can you not just go for a walk or coffee, then see after that if you want to meet again? Dinner is a lot to commit to never mind a whole night in a hotel!

I would advise to pare it right back. Take the pressure off.

Seems a bit early in the relationship to be booking hotels. Bring her to McDonalds.

For a pair of non drivers, yeah. Dublin. About 2 hours. I feel like I need put emphasis on her being more 's3x motivated' than I part. Like this is the most forward anyone one has been with me about it. And she's coming my direction. In her own words, the hotel was a good idea as well so she "doesn't have to get two trains in one day".

One decision I did make ahead of time was the room type. It's a twin. Don't even have to look at each other at the end of the night if she doesn't want to. Also let her know when the last train was if she wasn't even up to that. Last thing I wanted to do was put any pressure on. This was essentially her idea and I agreed afterwards.

Is she paying for half of the room?

I went to limerick and back on the train one day for a date (it was over Covid and I was bored) - just because you don’t drive doesn’t mean you can’t travel to and from in one day, I’ve also done it for work a few times. You guys are only young!!!

Nothing wrong with a hook up at all, but are you sure meaningless sex with a stranger is what you really really want?

• Advertisement

Advertisement