Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to buy, 20k budget

• 05-04-2023 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

This is probably a question that has been asked before but I couldn't find it in the forum. We're a two car household and the time has come to replace our second car which after 16 years of ownership owes us nothing.

The second car is used mainly by my wife as a run about and wouldn't usually do more than about 40-50KMs a day at most. It gets the odd trip farther than that, but very rarely. It's mostly used for a short work commute and ferrying our two kids around. Obviously we're a prime candidate for an EV.

We have a 20K budget and from what I can tell that puts the 40KW Leaf, 28KW Ioniq and the i3 in range. While I love the i3 and would buy it in the morning, my wife hates it and so it's been ruled out 🙄 Personally I think the other two are a bit 'meh' and don't particularly like either of them.

My wife really likes the leaf and it appears that you get a bit more for your money with the leaf. Her only real stipulation is that she wants heated seats and would like to be able to warm the car up before leaving on a cold morning. My fear with the leaf is trying to hold on to a bit of future re-sale value. The plan is to probably not hold on to it as long as our last car. The leaf uses the chademo charging system and while nearly all of our charging will be done at home that might not be the case for a potential future owner who might need to rely more on public charging. I think any future development of the public charging network is likely to be CCS only and so I think the leaf is likely to become a less attractive option in the future.

So, my question is what would you do? Buy a leaf or a slightly older Ioniq? Or is there a third option I'm missing?

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You don't mention the other car. Should that be the EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Sorry. We currently have a Mercedes c350e which is the primary family car and which we're keeping for the time being. The car we are replacing is 2001 Toyota Yaris as it's getting harder and more costly to put it through the NCT each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

If your mileage is really only 40-50KMs a day at most I'd be buying a 24 kWh Leaf and banking what you save. They're ideal second cars imho.

Sorry, wasn't prying, but sometimes with the range of EVs now, the reverse should sometimes be considered. I understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree if only to be used as a local runaround buy the cheap leaf and not worry about resale value or future proofing fast charging

• Advertisement

Financially that makes the most sense but I really really can't stand the looks of the older leaf. I know that people will think I'm stupid for letting that be a factor in my decision but unfortunately these things factor for me when buying a car

No worries. These are things to consider alright

So it's a Kona or Ioniiq. Even though I drive a Leaf, I would swap readily for the Kona my wife drives.

Other lad and lassies here would know more but getting something like a Zappi charger could link into future PV panels, esp if it's parked at home sometimes during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭creedp

It's hardly surprising that people want to buy a car that they like the look of. Agree the 1st gen leaf is a marmite car. If you can overcome the looks its a fine car once you're comfortable with its limitations. Personally I don't like the look of the 2nd gen leaf, either inside or out, but it's a more capable car if you can get it at a decent price. I was in a garage recently that had a 2018 leaf with over 100k km for €28k. I'm hoping somebody doesn't buy it at anywhere near that price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just went through exactly the same situation as you.

Roughly same budget, same cars to choose from.

Love the i3, but not practical for kids jumping in and out, having to open the front door(s) to let the lads out of the back, etc.

Had a Leaf before and love them. Was gonna go for a 30kWh Tekna, but like you, the reservations about Chademo and resale values came to the fore.

So I’m after buying a 28kWh Ioniq. Haven’t picked it up yet (tomorrow) and have never sat in one before let alone driven one! But I know all about them and their benefits, so decided it was the “safest” option.

Best of luck with your decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ioniq 28 mentioned in your OP seems to be very well thought of on this forum by owners and previous owners. If my budget was sub 20k that's where I'd be looking all day.

PV is definitely in our future so that's food for thought. 👍

I think that's crazy money alright! I'm not overly gone on the looks of the second gen leaf either but i do think it's a big improvement on the 1st gen which makes it more palatable.

Congrats on the new purchase. I've taken the Ioniq out for a spin and except for finding the steering to be a bit light it's a grand car. I reckon I'll be doing the same as you and looking for 28kw model.

Quick question on the Ioniq if you don't mind, can the car be preheated through and app and are their heated seats as standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Buy the ioniq28. I've had two and sold both to boardsies!

You get heated seats and steering wheel as standard, there's no app though but they heat up super quick. Much better than the leaf equivalent where you need SVE spec to be sure of heated seats and steering wheel, and they take ages to heat up and then seem to go on and off a bit rather than maintain constant heat. I had one leaf, an SVE. The ioniq is a much better car for the money. There was one for sale here recently for 15k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks! And they’re the same sort of questions I had!

There’s no app, which is a balls. Car can be preheated, but it has to be scheduled in the car beforehand. By all accounts, the Ioniq heats up extremely fast.

That’s one of the pluses of the Leaf. But everything else, including 6.6kW AC charging as standard, the Ioniq wins.

I hope anyway!

Might look at trading up myself. Have a 30kw Leaf 161. I'd want more range on the next purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As a former Ioniq owner I have to highly recommend it too. And can I compliment you on your first post? You had already very extensively done your research before asking questions here.

There are also a few other choices you mightn't have considered. An e-Golf and even a brand new MG4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think in your position I would also look (again😊) at the Ioniq 28. But try and get as late as possible, cant remember but was it 2019? Alternatively the 38kWh version if you don't need to fast charge often. I am sure with your bargaining skills you may be able to be within or close to budget...😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kai57

Buy another Yaris!

• Advertisement

If only Toyota sold an electric one. For around the €20k mark. Then the OP probably would. Unfortunately Toyota has chosen to be like Kodak, so it seems.

Welcome to boards anyway, interesting first post 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

I always laugh when this sort of line comes out. How in the name of jesus fúck , when whole costs are broken down to an annual figure, could a new EV be cheaper to run than an old but well maintained Yaris. The capital repayments on an EV are huge, whereas the Yaris is paid for years ago.

And the thing with EVs is the battery technology could change in the blink of an eye meaning all of a sudden the value of your 1 or 2 year old car nosedives the demand will be for the new tech long range fast charge cars, and what you have no-one will want.

it is not a mature technology and it is unwise to take the chance unless you like to see the value of your investment evaporate over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

A lot to be said for one.

We still have a 1999 one in the family. Belonged originally to my mother, then went to my wife. The kids learn to drive on it and was used for years as a general hack in the family. Now has gone to my elderly father in law who loves the simplicity, slightly higher driving position and all around visibility. Apart from a good few 12v batteries, nothing serious has ever gone wrong. Still feels fresh inside and tight to drive, pity the outside not quite as good..😊

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

Would an egolf be out of the question? Lovely car and likely to be a few bargains out there with people trading up to id4's. A few examples on carzone are within budget and the range would be adequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

eGolfs are an experimental ball of shíte. Stay away from those, they are worth nothing.

They can't be fixed once they give trouble. From what I heard, a lot of spare parts aren't and never even were available and there are no technical manuals for them available to dealers from VW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Drive a 30kWh Leaf and Ioniq, the Leaf is uber comfy and remote app to warm the car up which cannot be underestimated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Really ?? Have you had one in the past that couldn’t be fixed ?

@Girl Geraldine - "when whole costs are broken down to an annual figure, could a new EV be cheaper to run than an old but well maintained Yaris. The capital repayments on an EV are huge, whereas the Yaris is paid for years ago."

Classic misconception. Capital repayments are not costs. Depreciation and interest are, so are opportunity costs. But not repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭crl84

If it was me, given the scenario and budget you've outlined, I'd probably go for a PHEV tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You are right about the cost effectiveness of an old yaris v a new Ev, cant argue there. But......When these long range fast charging EVs come out, and I've no doubt the ranges and charging speeds will improve over time, they will cost a fortune. Manufacturers aren't going to give them away for free or even same price as current tech cars. I'd be fairly confident my 350+km EV that I drove Dublin to mayo and back at the weekend with a 30 min stop on each leg will still be valued in a few years.

Advertisement