Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

Also website updated - only 10 people have withdrawn so far

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

Have only had time to scour it so far but pretty much what’s been said on here

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

Got mine also - 🙈 - it’s a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Just home to receive mine, that’s the homework for this week! 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Fusk_Asker

Are we talking about 50 - 100 pages? 😂 I've begun tidying my social media in advance

For those who’ve done a speed awareness course, I phoned 101 there and they were unsure whether it had to be included in vetting but I’m going to just in case. If you need to get the details you’ve to ask for the fixed penalty notice branch on the same number

Yeah probably around that number of pages. Depends on your circumstances though, there’s a few parts where you can skip like 3-4 pages if not applicable

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

Put it in, any dealings with police unless your a victim should be in there. Hide nothing

Anyone know what order vetting gets done in is it purely in merit list order or can it start as soon as they get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

Even Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HighlandDew

From what I remember they just work through them as they get them. Vetting can be what holds people up the longest, there's not time frame for that.

Anyone finished theirs yet? I’m trying to get this out of the way as soon as possible

It’s taken me a solid 7 hours. Has anyone used all or intends to use all their continuation pages?

or does anyone know what you’re meant to do if you run out of room?

I’ve used most of the continuation of the PSNI pages and the CTC I may run into it with listing old jobs etc.

might be able to staple on an extra page if you’ve run out of room or contact vetting to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

The job history bit is a killer 😅

Submitted now, all that effort to realise it’s a bank holiday weekend and it won’t arrive until Tuesday. Good luck everyone else

Did anyone add extra sheets cause they ran out of the continuation of answers pages

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Joe Bidens 1 hr visit to NI cost the psni/tax payer £7million. Now talks of another £100m being cut from the psni budget next year. You literally couldn't make this stuff up

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

See you in 5 years mate. It’s crazy that they can’t get the money needed. That £100m cut is from the new budget 23/24..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

I fully understand this predicament and it is a decision that shouldn't be taken lightly.

I joined at 24, having ended up in quite a fortunate position with a public sector job, good work/life balance, public sector pension, good prospects and would be taking a pay cut to join the police and forego an opportunity to go into a scheme which would take me to the same gross pay as a top scale constable in 3/years

But it was something that I always wanted to do and I'd hate to have passed up the opportunity.

4 years in and I have zero regrets. The work is stressful, the hours are long, you get assaulted, you get spat on, you get injured, you have to deal with personality conflicts inside and outside the organisation. But that's just life and human nature.

It IS the best job in the world, and the pay for stress disparity is pretty grim until you're out of probation and on top of the pay scale, which is a little bit away for me.

BUT the pension is very good and unlike other public sector schemes we can retire at 60 instead of state pension age. Defined benefit and uplifts each year based on CPI+ 1.25%. This year it's like 11%.

The general vilification of Police in the media at present is depressing and unfortunately means the Federation has an even more up hill struggle to get us the pay and conditions we really need but that's another matter.

The austerity thing, that's a worry but unlike other workers police officer CANNOT be made redundant, so the job security is pretty solid once out of probation unless you do something really stupid.

Don't come into this for the money (aside from the pension) it really is a vocation, there's over a 100 different jobs in the police outside of response where we all spend our first few years. You will find the right fit for yourself in the organisation it could take you 3 years it could take you 10 but you'll get there.

Anyone who is coming into the PSNI from another public sector body, your pension transfers.

Anyone coming in from the private sector, you'll have the biggest culture shock.

All in all I'd not go back in time and tell younger me not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thehills4

Very wise words neenaw I'm near enough on the top end in my current job woth a very good work life balance but like you say it's a vocation and secure the opportunity to progress gain skills and experience that you probably wouldn't get elsewhere and the pension is a massive bonus the job will be challenging but retirement will be bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CG97

Hello all!

I am still here, 360 - 400 ML. Keeping the dream alive!

I had a few queries regarding vetting. As far as I’m aware police are only CTC cleared. Which I already am. This was a 60 page form, job history, previous partners, addresses and so on. Will this help speed up PSNI vetting? I know there are separate vetting forms specific to the PSNI. Is there two forms, police vetting and counter terrorism forms? Any advice is helpful!

From what I can remember it’s 3 forms. One is the CTC form which is the same for military and a lot of government jobs, standard enough but a bit of a drag as it’s huge. Then there’s the police one and a supplement to it, the police one is not too long and the supplement just expands on a few bits of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭forumnewbie21

Possibly, although I did it while I was still in the running for police officer and had to redo it a month later for police staff! It definitely didn't take as long, but they do still recheck everything!

Nope won't help at all.

Source.

I was the same

Does anyone know if the NITA allowance starts from garnerville or from start of probation period

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Newbie05

Hi everyone - I am new here. I have been following this thread for a while. I'm around 400+ on the merit list. Just wondering - does anyone know how far back we have to declare ex partners? What if we dont have their address etc now?

• Advertisement

Pretty sure it's only current partners

Advertisement