Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

A new engineering building in Waterford?

In your dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭azimuth17

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JimWinters

Interesting to see more clearing work on the Crystal site this week. Hopefully getting it ready for an announcement but I won’t be holding my breath…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭914

I would be surprised if the crystal site is not purchased.

How long till we see buildings going up there is probably the concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

We need more than just student accommodation on the crystal site. There must be new teaching space and labs created or there will be no new courses like Veterinary. As it stands the science labs are running at 100% capacity with classes running into the evenings to give all the students lab time so there is definitely the need for a new science building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I wouldn't hold your breath. If the government was serious about expanding the footprint and the money was ringfenced like they say. All they need to do is compulsory purchase the old crystal site. The fact that they are not CPOing says all you need to know about what happening.

Actually I understand that NOT CPOing it is positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭invara

We should know the entire ambition of this Government for SETU by the end of the month. After three Programmes for Government throwing shapes on doing something. This government will start to move into election mode after the summer, with only a few options for an election on favourable terms before they run out of road. So what gets announced at the end of the month is really the final opportunity for this Government to do something to make SETU a meaningful game-changer.

Govt admin (endless exercises in value-for-money analysis and paper shuffling in a multi-stage process) takes about a year and a half without a minister sitting over civil servants. Remember Leo Varadkar announced the crystal as imminent in Feb 2020. Priming funding to prepare planning permission (back of an envelope- circa €5-6m for a €100m building-professional fees are around 23% of a large public building cost) needs approval- so we are 2 years away from being able to build, realistically min 5 years for bums on seats- if we start today.

This Government will go out of business with nothing none other than the rebrand and starting a complex, unfunded merger with minimal synergies- with no idea how it ends. This month is the final opportunity to make the TU meaningful before an election.

Meaningful at a minimum is signing the PPP (as designed) before the summer (promised in Q1 2023), crystal with €100m of teaching space (for new programmes to halt the brain drain), new programmes in volume disciplines (vet is nice to have, teaching and med are where the transformative numbers are), 50m in refurb to stabilise the existing stock of buildings and make them fit for another 20 years, professorships and new lecturer contracts, an uplift in per-student funding to university level, and new management roles (to handle the incredibly thorny merger). Short of that expect SETU=(ITCarlow+WIT)-unfunded merger.

Tragic-funny hearing Michael Martin bragging about buying Carriganore in 1998 as Minister for Education. Having fought tooth and nail to stop it, Martin Cullen won the day. Then Martin prevented the masterplan and build-out of the university there, 25 years later Carriganore is still fields. The crystal could easily go the same way, we buy a field (surface area carpark), and hear Leo Varadkar crowing endlessly about how much he did for SETU in 25 years' time.

Apologies for the essay. We will see what things look like at the end of the month.

CPO would condemn the site to another year or more of delay. Its either going to be bought in the coming few weeks or else the whole SETU thing is just shite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

I understand that the new veterinary program is going to Limerick (balanced regional development). Veterinary is a huge undertaking, you need teaching space and a tertiary veterinary hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

That's what I read too. Apparently ATU (Galway) is in line of getting a veterinarian school as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JimWinters

Great to see the announcement (finally) about SETU buying 20 acres of the Crystal site! They were offered the full 37 acres but are only buying 20 according to Damien Tiernan. WLR’s website says they were only offered 20 acres of the site. Bit of a missed opportunity if they could have bought more but great news all the same.

Hopefully we’ll see the €100 million+ that’s needed to build the previously announced engineering building and whatever is going on the Crystal site

Despite my lack of faith in the whole TU, this is great news.

I have a number of questions regarding the new site and plans but today I shall remain positive as it is a good news story.

From what I heard Frisby wants to build his own student accommendation on the other 17 acres

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Great, if it happens, bearing in mind how many times the crystal site purchase and the new Engineering building have been 'announced'.

Maybe BAM might lend them the pile of sand and rocks on the Quay for the 'ground-breaking' photo op?

Wow. We bought another field. Should have been bought a decade ago.

We are at least 2 years away from planning. Missing in all this is that the cost of securing planning permission for a €100m building programme is I guess around €10m (professional fees cost circa 25% of a building, so planning is around 40% of that). It appears this money is not being announced today— so this literally is a field, any further investment appears to be the next Government's problem.

So yes, positive news. But acquiring Carriganore 25 years ago was too.

Post edited by invara on

An Olympic size swimming pool in Wexford, do the delusions of grandeur in Wexford have no end, God give me patience.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/news/wexfords-new-setu-campus-should-have-an-olympic-sized-swimming-pool-cllr-leonard-kelly-42412029.html

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Valhalla90

• Advertisement

No but there was definitely some fools involved in suggesting it

Two universities have 50m pools already, it's not a new thing for universities to have top class sports facilities. Is your objection to the facility or the fact that it's not in Waterford?

You are certainly not wrong that we should aspire to have top-class sports facilities— alas the last new teaching building was delivered in the early 2000s, and the Engineering building PPP was first announced in 2006/7 and appears no closer. So in the order of priorities, it would be nice for politicians to focus on delivering what is already promised, before starting off on new adventures.

Fact, lads looking for a 50 meter pool and they haven't even laid a block yet.

There's not a hope of a 50 meter pool in SETU, had it have been a stand alone Uni then maybe as they could borrow to help fund it but as a TU not a hope.

Lets entertain the fact, if a 50m pool was a possibility then surely SETU Arena would be the preferred choice adding to the sports campus, either way there's not a hope and this just knows the lack of knowledge these politicians have.

I oresume you are from Wexford. Whether or not, the politicians quoted have little understanding of just how difficult it has been to get any investment. A wish list may not be a bad thing, so maybe things will change with SETU?

I agree we should have top class sports facilites and a new pool should be part of the existing largest sports centre which is the SETU Arena in Waterford and the location with largest population base in the Southeast. It continues to amaze me the self importance of the local politicians in Wexford who seem to their small county town is equal of a city.

Nope, I'm not from Wexford, I'm just interested in what was driving the comment.

Not disagreeing that the (local) politicians have a lack of knowledge, but the parochialism that comes to the fore every time Wexford is mentioned is amusing. The 'city' status of Waterford seems to trump all other locations in the SE.

I do agree that until SETU is given the ability to hold its own destiny in its own hands like the longer established universities it will struggle to develop and to move away from being a glorified IT. But that is not going to happen anytime soon. The Government and in particular Harris has increased centralised control over third level and any developments of the TU's will be aligned with wider regional planning, hence the reason why there's a campus for everyone in the audience. No TU apart from TUD will be able to reach it's potential unless there's a sea change in government / departmental approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

In fairness now, I don't think too many outside of Waterford would regard Waterford as being much bigger than Wexford though either. I agree with your statement on a pool. It certainly would be better suited to Waterford.

Post edited by Azatadine on

Bad day for SETU with news that teaching training cannot be located in TUs under new Government policy. Teacher training would have been a big win. Ominous for the other new course asks.

• Advertisement

So anyone in the SE looking to become a teacher needs to leave the region, I thought TU's were to retain people in the region, 😏

Advertisement