Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Could the 30 something guys not do a house share?

Plenty available on daft/myhome so probably way more than that available.

Major UK cities aren't cheap either..

Just curious...not judging!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

In the entirety of Cavan county there are 13 places to rent on daft.

Limerick county has 26.

That's at every size and price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

So true. From the lessors perspective the rental market is now like the stock market, it's all about confidence. If they have no confidence that their property rights will be protected, they'll leave the market.

It doesn't matter whether this proves to be untrue in the future, this is the perception based on what has happened to date. Perception and confidence is key.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Are you suggesting that people should move to somewhere they can afford instead of breaking the law?

That's not going to be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

As I said, thats on daft. Probably plenty more with local agencies.

You posted about no options and I just provided some yet you still complain about that.

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I own my house myself and my wife worked hard to get it, no bank of Mom & Dad in our world.

An opportunity has come up for me to go work in Australia, my wife's dream, I done the usual year away there 20 years ago.

We are now very reluctant to move due to the fear of not getting our home back when we return. Our plan was to go for a minimum of 2 years and maximum 4 years. My wife is that worried about renting out our home that we will probably have to pass up on the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Common travel area brits can live here, we can live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

No the strand of the discussion I was engaging with was about larger corporate landlords and how they can be used, if regulated properly, to provide a stable rental market.

Yes, as portrayed in the media, small landlords leaving is the issue, but in the longer term, large numbers of small landlords might not be the best way to provide the longer term solutions we need as a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

There is no evidence that there is a preference for long term rental units in this country.

People here want to buy and they want short term rentals in the meantime.

Those that can't afford to buy want social housing.

The issue now is the supply of short term rentals not the lack of long term ones.

You ask someone whether they want to rent a house in a nice residential location on a street of mostly home owners on a 4 year lease provided by a small landlord or whether they want to rent a unit in a build to rent complex with 100% renters in a worse location with the option of a long term lease.

Assuming there is sufficient supply of both many renters here as they have always done will take a chance on the former and having that choice is a good thing.

Nobody is saying that no houses exist for rent. What I said is that there's ridiculously few. If you wanted to rent a house tomorrow you could scour the whole country, send off loads of mails and get nowhere. It's not an option for people living in Dublin to decide they'll move to Cavan. There's nowhere near enough places and there's already people in Cavan looking to rent them.

And probably plenty more with local agencies? If you're willing to back that up with data I'll believe you. I can understand some places being rented by someone who knows someone, but if an agency is letting, they'll pop it on daft. I can't see why they wouldn't.

• Advertisement

Even without that, would you be comfortable making a family homeless when you return? It's not a great situation that's lose/lose. You could be in a position where they overhold because they have nowhere to go, or you could be forcing them onto the streets/emergency accommodation because they do leave.

Yes the immediate short term issue is landlords leaving and evicting their tenants as they do so. But we also need to examine how we got into this situation and I would suggest the reason for that is the large numbers of small landlords. They should not be there in such numbers in the first place in my opinion. Rental properties should be provided by larger corporate entities, the LA in the case of social housing, and a relatively low number of small landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Firstly the government is already underspending budgets on housing, there is no need to raid the pension fund.

Your point about permanent tenancies we need to be moving towards the state been the largest landlord or has a stake in houses. Social housing, cost rental and affordable houses is the future. For that to happen though there needs to be massive expansion of councils nationwide.

If lack of housing is effecting foreign investment and economic growth it needs to be addressed at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭kazamo

The problem with larger corporate landlords is their preference for a significant number of units in the one area. They won’t be looking to replace the current model whereby there is rental accommodation in every town and village around Ireland.

If the renter is in a city or a large town, the corporate landlord has likely some presence there.

Supposing you live in Kilbeggan for example and due to family circumstances one parent needs to move out of the family home. Nearest large towns are Mullingar and Athlone, and let’s hope there is available accommodation there.

I get the attraction of corporate landlords, but one size does not fit all.

If you send off emails I 100% expect you to get nowhere.

The list of excuses gets longer and longer. Plenty of people work in Dublin and live in Cavan. The M3 parkway is a great option to commute into city centre in 20 mins. Cavan was just an example but of course you ran with it. The options are plenty if you think outside the box.

As already posted on this thread a lot of LL have moved off daft as it is too much hassle. I remember RTE had a program about about moving out of home. The advice was to put a portfolio together and go to estate agents. That was years ago yet people still talk about daft.

Why would they not put on daft? I will let you figure that out yourself.

That is possible but there are huge shortages of accommodation in urban areas and many are living outside towns simply because they can't find anything in the town in which they live. Blocks owned by institutional landlords located in urban areas would provide accommodation for those people where they want to live and ease pressure in rural areas as well as road congestion.

The idea isn't that one size should fit all but rather that increasing supply in one area takes the pressure off other areas. The lack of large landlords that can handle changes of ownership without evictions and don't have relatives that want to move in, mean that long term renting becomes possible for those that need it. This means that small landlords can then offer short fixed-term leases such as the poster earlier who wanted to go to Australia for a year.

The councils are running up millions in debt and with no idea how to stop it. Buying up houses to put CC in control will end up a complete disaster as they will never collect rent and we will just end up in a few years with millions in arrears with no money to reinvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

Why not have the pension fund invest in Ireland's future rather than REIT's? Its an investment with return I am talking about, not just building free houses

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ah here, if you had a choice between being homeless yourself on the streets or making someone else homeless, don't tell me you'd opt for the streets.

Only today I heard of a situation where an elderly couple wish to return from Spain so that the husband can die in the family home. They served notice on the tenants, who were on a low rent, who then stopped paying full rent and have indicated they are going to overhold. Who is right in that situation?

The man who worked all his life to earn the house and wants to die in it, or the people renting it who don't want to pay full rent and are overholding? Your efforts to portray all landlords as evil and all tenants as good is completely overblown.

What a crazy statement. If someone rents and does everything proper with contracts etc why would they feel bad when they have to evict the tenant?

If the tenant want to own a house then go and buy one.

Anyone that overholds should be taken to court and credit rating affected. Also registered so that future LL will be able to see and be aware.

• Advertisement

Now there's an idea. A register of delinquent tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

If you sign a contract on a year by year basis, you have to be aware that you will be eventually have to move on. Its not as though we have a spare house. Its our home. What would our alternative be? Never to come home? Let them keep our home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Without knowing the details of people investing in Reits is highly probable that pension funds are investing in Irish property via REITs. To qualify as a REIT a company must pay out 85% plus of its profits as dividends. Which would suit pension funds down to the ground.

REITs are just the name of an investment vehicle to make it tax efficient for people and particularly large investors to invest in the Irish residential lettings market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wonder how many times we are going to hear the utterly moronic claim that there is some huge black market of available rentals out there? That the thousands of homes needed are there if you just don't use Daft.

Such complete and utter bullshit, even from the usual shills.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Glurrl

[Quote]https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120444176#Comment_120444176

Even without that, would you be comfortable making a family homeless when you return? It's not a great situation that's lose/lose. You could be in a position where they overhold because they have nowhere to go, or you could be forcing them onto the streets/emergency accommodation because they do leave. [/quote]

Yes I would be comfortable with making a family homeless if I needed the house. They had the same opportunities to work and save. They would be pretty comfortable leaving the house owner homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"If they want a house they can go and buy one"

FML we've got some smooth-brain contributors here.

I raised this already. Tenants would have to register to get properties. If they wreck houses/overstay/non paying etc then LL can update the system and warn other LL. The good tenants should be crying out for this and it would remove the uncertainly with tenants. F**k up and the chances of renting are reduced and if another LL wants to take you on they can make you pay additional for it.

How is the reading of the Sinn Fein housing policy coming along?

I am only joking of course, but not sure what value the comment above is adding to the discussion?

"shills" can you provide anything to back up this claim?

Nobody said that there is some huge black market of available rentals out there. What was said is that a landlord would be mad to put his property up on Daft and wait for the inevitable trip down the courts because he didn't give me the house because HAP/race/marital status/member of the traveller community (delete as appropriate) or if he did give someone the house, wait for the rent to come in, and wait and wait, or get the house back in a mess. That is the reality for landlords today, particularly the smaller ones.

It doesn't happen the corporate landlords because they know who they rent to, and they have the money to go after the delinquent tenants. I mean, if you are a small landlord, and if some lowlife causes 100k worth of damage and doesn't pay rent for two years, you are just damn relieved to be rid of that tenant and you certainly won't be chasing them down the Four Courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I would also add, that you don't have to deal with an absolute avalanche of applications - it's actually quite overwhelming!

I last let about 4 years ago, and I had to take the ad down after about an hour before my inbox exploded. Everyone telling me their life story, and some attaching multiple references and employment details.

If I was re-letting, I would definitely be going down the word-of-mouth route.

It was really shocking to realise the lengths people were going to to get your attention somehow.

Advertisement