Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Looks like the site got updated recently, we've gone from Jan - Jun '24, to Jan - March '24.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Have ducting pipe from backroom out to back garden. Id have dig up lawn so for ducting to front of house. Ill just go overhead to corner of the house. Presume nbi will put pole up in my garden to join to pole on other side of road. Will it really be another 12-18months even though all seems ok to go now regards pole now has fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

noticing some poles with "E" painted on them and some with " L" ...any ideas what this means?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

NBI should install a pole if required. As regards timelines, I can't say for certain. The website is the best estimate you are going to get. The fact that your neighbours have fibre from, I presume, Openeir is irrelevant. The NBI network is new and separate to Openeir's.

They are visual cues for the guys putting the fibre on the poles. "L" means leave a coiled loop of cable at the particular pole to facilitate the installation of a distribution point and as far as I recall "E" means the end of a cable run i.e "stop here".

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

A minor change on our dates. Moved out to April 2024 - June 2024 (from Jan - June). Disappointing, but not unexpected I suppose. There was a brief flurry of work around here in Jan/Feb, but nothing since. Trees trimmed, some poles replaced, and sub-ducting installed nearby (but not on our road). Curragh Camp DA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭jonnreeks

Hi all,

The KN vans & crews were on my street all last week here in Cobh. Too be honest the whole town is now upgraded with replacement cable runs and splitter boxes wherever you go. On my street they pulled new cable (I presume it was a fibre cable) and added new black splitter units on to the poles that have lines to each house on the street. My cable route comes directly from our local exchange centre.

The $64 dollar question is, has anyone else experienced this action and have you since been upgraded to the new standard 500gB?

or

Are you still waiting and for how long since this work took place if same?

Thanks

Came home yesterday after work and eir guy in the house with herself. Said we went live yesterday so put in order for 1gb broadband. Thought it would be end of next year according to nbi, Happy out now.

It is probably not NBI then. I see from your other posts that you were in contact with Openeir about being merged to another distribution point. They have probably enabled you. It doesn't really matter either way to you anyway, once you can get connected from someone.

NBI figures as of the end of March:

You can see from the above figures that Castlebar is not fully complete. Unfortunately issues can crop up during the build process that require more time to be resolved. There is not much you can do bar wait for the necessary work to be completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Curious why there are so few DAs at 100%. The Tipperary DA for example is live just over 12 months now, and still not at 100%

Carrigaline, which I believe is the oldest DA, is 96% and "completed" a year earlier than Tipperary again.

Is it the case that they'll only complete some of those remaining works if and when one of the affected customers orders a connection?

Last dealings i had with them they had mentioned nothing about sorting it an essentially were saying the council would have to get involved.Ill ask the eir rep next time im talking to him. NBI guy told me last month they were in my area as few houses were missed and i may get it soon but website had jul-dec24.

I thinks it is a combination of a few things. Firstly, premises are added to deployment areas, whether new builds or just premises that were originally missed. If you compare the numbers in the deployment areas from November with the figures from March above you'll see an increase in premises in most DAs.

Secondly, I think build issues could be delaying some premises and thirdly, perhaps issues with landowner consent may be causing certain delays.

I don't think that NBI are "holding out" for customers to order because technically those affected potential customers can't order until their premises is released for pre-order or ready for service.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

NBI crews are all over my local area, can see them 100m down the road from me working away putting in ducting and running loops between poles. Anyone have any idea when service will be expected to be live from this point? I know the whole deployment area that I'm in is marked for July-Sept availability, but I find it hard to believe they dont start enabling smaller sections as they go. Surely they dont finish out the DA then enable it all at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

The finish ribbons-by-ribbon in each DA. Ribbons are a set of spokes out from the local exchange that the fibre is connected back to. There could be a few days or weeks between each ribbon/spoke going live in a DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Does anyone know where I could get some of that galvanised cable protector NBI use on the poles? The fibre cable is exposed on the wall where it comes out of the duct on the wall of my house. I'll like to cover it to protect it. It looks something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Try an electrical factors like CEF. As far as I remember they used to have 3m lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Great, thank you for that. There is a CEF not too far from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Akenny010

Our place went ready for pre order the other day, was set for April-June

Vodafone & others are taking pre orders now, realistically how long should it it all take from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Whats the story when you order it but there is no obvious route for the cable to your house (I'm around 50 metres from the road), does the installer arrive and then review what might need to be done at that stage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You should get a site visit where they'll have a look and decide what's needed.

If work is needed - Like new ducting or a new pole to be fitted for example that gets scheduled in advance of the actual install date.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Are you sure you get a site visit BEFORE your install date? I never heard that happen. I thought they just arrive on the day and assess it then. If they need poles or work done that can't be done on the day your connection just gets delayed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In my case that's what happened.

About a week before my install a guy came to the house and did a quick check on the setup.

In my case I had ducting in place already from my existing land-line so he just took a quick look at both ends of the ducting and decided that he would arrange for the guys to have the kit to clear out the ducting in case it was needed.

He was at my house for about 10 minutes all in.

Now , if there was something bigger required I guess the install might have been delayed depending on the availability of whatever kit it was they needed to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Anyone any experience of how quick nbi are to fix a cut fibre ?

Had install crew here today and turns out I need one pole and some ducting done from it to the house. Anyone know from experience roughly how long it takes to get connected from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, I can now answer myself.

Fault reported on Saturday, it was a cable break on my fibre only. Text message on Monday confirming maintenance visit for Tuesday afternoon.

Guy arrived 12pm Tuesday, fixed and gone by 2

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

I can finally unsubscribe from this thread. Between this one and the previous NBP ones I reckon I've following this thing for 7 years or so.

Finally got installed yesterday. The guys working for Circnet were brilliant. No issue with doing an attic installation. Speed is awesome.

To those still waiting hold on in there, it's worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Congrats. Hopefully a lot more of us will be connected in the coming months. I'm a long long time lurker here myself and am due to be connected July-Sept this year. Hopefully I'll be able to unsubscribe then too :)

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Does anyone know when the 068 area build will start?

The trees are being trimmed.

• Advertisement

You can put your eircode in here and check yourself.

https://nbi.ie/map/

Advertisement