Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Asylum seekers are no longer excluded from the labour market and can work after 5 months on state benefits .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Can they work up to 20 hours and keep state benefits and accommodation supplied to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

They ought not be allowed to work.

Wanting work should be a completely separate thing with applicants required to show criminal background checks, employers applying to bring people over because Irish can't or won't fill a position.

This allows some measure of control.

They are supposed to be fleeing war. Conflation of these two categories of purposes for arriving will lead to job seekers simply pretending they are under threat in their home countries and then I'll take that job thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The excuses for the fighting in these places is worrying too.

Heard in radio one person defend the fighting cause was load of men in one place. See another say its over Ramadan.

Thr irony is that if a culture or two cant get on what hope for "Multi" Culture.

It does not worry me if we have 50 thousand come in or 50 million, if people could get along and make country better.

You now have Finland to list of countries that has a Centre Right Government. Denmark want to stop asylum seekers full stop. Google all this as you like.

If its been a disaster there what hope have we?

We need Migration. I don't care if they are not doctors or engineers if they want work in low pay jobs to better their lives and for family I'm all for it.

But I read stories everyday on local papers and it's crazy the % that seem contributing nothing but trouble.

We need to seriously consider who we bring in and get much tougher on people taking the compete and utter piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They are allowed to work and rightfully so.

Its pretty disgusting to refuse people the dignity of being able to work and only giving them 38 euro a week in my view.

Kinda ironic as well that you have complaints about fighting in dp centres but the same people want to withdraw the right to work which would cause a lot of fights.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Is it not about providing them with refuge from war / fear of death?

It would be good to get clear data on the numbers working etc. Doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Bit torn on the work piece myself, I do understand why they should work, but think they should be granted asulym at that point. And we need to focus on speeding up that decision

To sit around in a hotel doing nothing for years?

Asylum seekers have the right to apply for work permits after 6 months and rightfully so.

Theres definitely an irony here of people complaining about fights in dp centres proposing policies to increase fights in dp centres.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its understandable how you have fights when 200 people all arrive at once and are in cramped spaces together. Giving people seeking refuge the right to work lessens all these fights.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Absolutely rubbish. Defending violence is pathetic.

The main problem I have is the length of time it takes to make a decision. However we don't leave people sitting around for years unless either the claim is hard to legitimise or they have been rejected and are appealing.

But tbh, I would rather sit in hotel in a safe country then fear for my life working in a war zone.

• Advertisement

So you agree that limiting the amount we accept, and acting in rejection would allow us up provide better supports for this genuinely in need of refuge?

Or do you feel we should accept unlimited numbers regardless of the lack of accommodation etc.

What do you mean it's pretty disgusting? I don't throw a hissy fit at arrivals at Australia or Singapore because I am being denied the "dignity of work". I don't see why Ireland owes the entire planet "the dignity of work" . Someone fill me in on what war crime we committed?

I see a real danger in conflating the two.

Trying to better your economic situation and send money home is understandable. If there's work Irish refuse to do then I don't think objections would be that loud.

But is that what "international protection" is about? If it is then it's a misnomer.

It's a fundamental question because there are limitless numbers of people that would trade in their life in Africa for one in Europe.

And yes that would put downward pressure on competing locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Some people are in agreement with allowing all these people in knowing this is what is happening.

When violence breaks out its because of something they agree with in the first place.

When they commit crimes it will be because the Irish aren't welcoming enough.

A realist would just admit cramming hundreds of single men with different cultures into places where they have no job prospects is just a bad idea.

Anyone in agreement and making excuses is in no doubt profiting from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

Allowing asylum seekers to work is encouraging more illegal econmic migrants to come to Ireland, without travel documentation, through the UK & Belfast, or other illegal means.

Think of it. Accomidation provided (ok, shared room, but hey, its free, warm and safe) 3 hot meals a day, medical care, a few quid for essentials, plus 20hrs wages. Sounds ideal for most people, and you could live like this for years and years. If I was a homeless Irish or EU person living here, I'd be ripping up my Identification and claiming asylum. It seems there is an established system to provide for you and protect you. Unlike our homeless and people who are really struggling financially or those living with addictions - these poor folk are made thrawl through our social service systems, applications, waiting lists, interviews, means testing, etc, etc. With no guarentee of getting the support they need to set them back up for life again and allow them to contribute to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

The nursing home minister had to enact a ban on nursing homes closing and converting to housing refugees last year. Due to the numbers of places that were converting.

That ban is up for review now- any murmur at all from even 1 so called journalist in this country about this? Especially in light of the column inches n outrage devoted to the eviction ban.

Not a bit of it- chuck our most vulnerable out , the one's who kept the lights on in the 70s n 80s , paying 60% tax etc. This refugee farce is a sick joke at this stage.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ban-on-nursing-homes-converting-to-refugee-accommodation-to-be-reviewed-42416881.html

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Just reading the paper, a load of violent asylum seekers have been thrown out of city west. The only way they could get them out was to fake a fire drill and then not let them back in. These violent thugs are free to roam the streets now instead of being deported!!

That can't be true!!

Wow it is, things seem to be coming home to roost. It is and remains important we are a safe place for Algerians to come and escape the ongoing war there, especially young single men.

Post edited by Luxembourgo on

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

What an utter utter utter (repeat ×1000 times) mess. Someone needs to get a handle on this situation, like today. Why would anyone support this. We were such a great country, what a farce now.

This is the number one issue to sort out in this country today. This mass, unvetted immigration is such a catalyst for so many issues in my community and throughout the country. Again, I have absolutely no faith in this government and I am so frustrated as an innocent bystander to see this country my family and friends work so hard for, unravel so badly.

do you feel we should accept unlimited numbers regardless of the lack of accommodation etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Honestly...the students and their families need to make serious noise about this. People pussy footed around this issue last year and many students were left without accommodation. I heard UCD and NUI had Ukrainians on campus last year. Letterkenny gave over a lot of student accommodation to Ukrianians also. Money talks!

The government can fairly find accommodation for refugees when it suits them, especially in cities!

Irish people are very too passive about this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

Agreed. We should be more like the French.

40 Algerians booted out of city west for fighting and allowed to dander off into the town??? Ireland has been found seriously lacking by all this. Has the gov even tried to tackle this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭beeker1

Where it not for migrant labour in california a head of lettuce would cost 8 bucks , as a migrant , I remember being asked by a Boston cop if I spoke the Kings English, well Elizabeth was Queen at the time and I doubt he'd not come close to the b I scored in Hons English leaving cert , I remember a black man being shot dead in 1989 , cos the southie Irish didn't like the idea of blacks moving into "their hood " , its evil , mask it anyway you like , I've heard it all !

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

Well you seem to be making excuses for it, at every turn.

Could not believe that myself so I done some digging. I found a link to the story so it appears to be true.

It seems that they didn't take too kindly to the little fire drill trick and became violent when they were not allowed back in and guards had to be present.

If they are too violent for city west they are too violent for Ireland.

What a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭beeker1

Yeah you don't have to be Woodward & Bernstein here ! Before you vilify them , try walking in their shoes ! There's Murphys in every corner of this globe ! Remember our nearest neighbour, no blacks , no dogs , no IRISH , we were less than an animal ! A generation later we are no longer navies but if you can bring yourself to watch any current affairs news magazine, a lot of Irish surnames that produce those programmes , give them a chance , its a handful of people !

“A handful of people". If only! They are entering in their thousands.

The interesting thing is despite differing views here I reckon the vast majority have similar opinions

Increase staffing and make quicker decisions

Deport those refused asulym and deport criminals

Refuse entry to those with no passports (exception when brought in by Irish authorities)

Use the above to provide refuge to genuine refugees fleeing war

Dont use social housing stock to house refugees, or if they are treat them like the rest at the back of the queue

Enforce existing EU laws re ability to support ones self

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

To those that argue Irish people go all over the world so we should accept unlimited migrants . The difference between those that leave and return is only a few thousand at best now. !!

https://www.migrantproject.ie/2022/09/06/increase-in-irish-people-leaving-the-country/

• Advertisement

Advertisement