Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

65k EUR yowch, I was hoping for a little less than that, might have to continue on with my PHEV until I can get a nearly new one at that rate, shame I love the car so far and I would love to go full electric. I'll probably still give it a test drive but for the miles I do realistically it's not going to pay for itself even with solar at the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thats the top of the range, big battery, AWD version.

They're saying the pricing should be 8n line with the Ioniq 5 for the other specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Any idea when we'll see pricing and spec for Ireland on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Looks like the UK will only receive 77kwh battery and start from 47k GBP. Still radio silence on the Irish price and spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭joe1303l

They might just get here under the grant if it’s still here when they bother to put a few on a boat to Ireland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Looks like the press embargo's lifted today. Lot's of YouTube video's on the Ioniq 6 released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I contacted Hyundai Ireland about the Ioniq 6 in late December and they referred me to my local dealer who said the end of this year so a 2024 car!

It appears to be available in the UK from March so I think we should surely get it around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

looks dreadful, even the id4 is more appealing. Ioniq 5 is far better looking

A few brand new Ioniq 6 models have been spotted on a car transporter on the M8 bound for Dublin. Some Dealers getting one for the showroom in a few weeks but still no pricing or info on availability. Hyundai Ireland definitely not going to rush this one. UK have them available already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In my case around 7:45am yesterday I saw a car transporter heading west/south along the M7, it was before the M7/M8 interchange so can't be sure which direction it was heading. Definitely one black one on the lower level on the very back, maybe more but I saw it and thought "didn't think they were even production ready".

I saw 6 Hyundai transporters on the move. Mainly Kona and Ioniqs so presume a recent Korean arrival. One other was a Kia Sportage delivery, another some used cars and the other transporter was full of X5s.

They appear to be for sale in the UK since at least December. Most are a launch edition spec with the big battery. I doubt the small battery option will come to Ireland either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Was told today that the launch date for the Ioniq 6 in Ireland will be March 31st and prices will be announced then.

Actually looks better in this video than I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I like it, not sure I would call it beautiful, but certainly distinctive. Looks better in darker colours.

My dealer said they would have it by the 31st March but wasn't sure if he just meant pricing. He asked was I interested in looking at it........................whilst I was picking up a new car. "ummm, getting ahead of yourself a bit there......................." haha

I did see one on a truck 2 weeks ago, where it was heading to I don't know. (West on the M7 is all I know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

No, a Tucson Exec Plus PHEV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭carsfan2

So most people will likely prefer the Elegance, on the spec in that article anyway, which will cost €1,500 more once the 1st July hits. Add on paint choice and dealer chargers and it's a big number.

Hyundai Ireland website updated recently also with pricing and specs, also now from 6.9% APR.

Nice car, looks great imo in red. Higher priced model tested looks great inside.

But pricing looks high, the basic model with cloth seats etc only has 151hp, 53kWh battery with wltp of 429km at €48,295. Probably when delivery etc added will be about 6K more than Model 3 RWD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

The Ioniq 6 has the potential to be a very important car in the great story that is society's transfer from ICE to electrified transport. Beside its brother, the Ioniq 5, it offers the kind of direct comparison that consumers need in order to hopefully get the message through to companies (and other consumers!) that we do not all want or need boxy cars.

It has the same 77kWh battery as the Ioniq 5.

It has the same 229hp electric motors as the Ioniq 5.

But its claimed range is 614km, as opposed to the 507km of the Ioniq 5. That is 21% - TWENTY ONE PERCENT - more range. And it's down to shaping it properly.

Many didn't notice this stuff so much when we could just splash and dash via a petrol station. But this is different.

Folks notice that speed impacts range. Folks notice that cold impacts range. And now folks can easily tell that their unnecessarily tall, unaerodynamically-shaped faux-SUV is impacting range also.

Give us saloons. Give us liftbacks. Give us estate cars.

Give us the choice of a fifth more range, and a more sustainable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

I have an Ioniq 5. Would have went for an estate car if available. The faux suv cars (like Ioniq) I am mit too keen on but are pretty much all that’s there to suit a family of 4 or 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

I have an ID4. Same reason. No estate or liftback with the same range (a range that my wife actually needs with her driving needs) on the market. The MG5 came closest, similar with the Tesla Model 3. Former failed on range; latter on the saloon-style boot opening.

Estates are to my mind the greatest car shape yet invented. Our continental colleagues love them, and for good reason.

Ms

Estates are to my mind the greatest car shape yet invented. Our continental colleagues love them, and for good reason.

Really. I think MPVs were the greatest car shape yet invented and see them making a comeback in the future.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

MPVs are just van shaped vehicles and totally the wrong shape for an EV. SUV is the worst shape of all.

Ms

I disagree. A scenic is /was a totally different shape to a Traffic the same way a Galaxy was a totally different shape to a Transit.

Maybe they might not be the best shape for an EV but they were the most spacious and most innovative.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I disagree. A scenic is /was a totally different shape to a Traffic the same way a Galaxy was a totally different shape to a Transit.

Maybe they might not be the best shape for an EV but they were the most spacious and most innovative.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

What are the waiting times like for this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I can’t imagine long while they look like that 😮

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭creedp

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

• Advertisement

That's a bit hyperbolic don't you think? It's just saying it's not gonna be very aerodynamically efficient compared to a lower vehicle. There's no escaping physics.

Ah I know just making a ham-fisted point. ICE MPVs are considered by most to be the choice of the living dead yet the ID Buzz is lauded by some as the second coming, yet to my uncool mind its looks like a very expensive classic panel van with a trendy paint job and an oversized VW badge. Maybe also a bit hyperbolic!

Gimme an EV estate car and I'll be happy. It's not cool though and coolness trumps efficiency every time it seems. Plus ça change etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

saw one outside Kingstown motors Stillorgan.The designers must of been on the mushrooms, horrible looking yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

I'd agree not a fan bang of the lightyear off it. I get efficiency which seems to be the main design constraint but you don't just buy cars for just efficiency (even EV's).

Kia EV9 coming out looks epic main reason there is it looks different, deffo not streamlined.

Ms

I disagree. The i5 is so boring. It is like the VW Golf of electric cars. The i6 do looks amazing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ahh yeah I remember ya the French car aficionado who doesn't rate design awards but quite likes French (nissan looking) Mégane e-tech.

But if you have L'amour for old Citroens like the DS I can understand why you'd like the I6, but kinda niche taste in cars.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nothing wrong with either opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭MarkN

Didn't take me long to bring up the Ioniq 6... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beerholder.

Having seen many of these in person the shape (interior volume) and practicality don't suit what most people here want or need.

If it's a 500+ bhp beast then OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Edgardo.

Beautiful initial concept design compromised by having to fit in onto the existing platform.

Just seen 1st one in the flesh and it would have to be a grower to overcome initial doubts. I know I'm in the minority but I find the Ioniq 5 style quite bland but think Hyundai have tried 2 hard with the styling of the 6

Brought an Elegance 77.4kWh Ioniq 6 for a good run this morning from Hyundai Waterford. The red really suits it, imo, especially with the light interior. Priced at about €65K.

First impressions, I thought it looked really well, but then again I always prefer the looks of a lower car over a tall one.

I have a Tesla Model 3 RWD, so was interested in a comparison. I would say the Ioniq is slightly bigger externally, haven't checked any actual dimensions. Would have liked to park the two cars together, but wasn't possible due to the garage being packed up. I had to park over in the BMW part. Internally there is little in it, both roomy for their size. Boot and frunk both smaller than my Model 3.

Drove the car on a variety of roads. Base Tesla feels a lot more powerful and sportier. Preferred Tesla steering, Ioniq was very light, as is the norm with Hyundai. Some will prefer, but not me. Tried all the modes but little difference except for throttle response. Ioniq 6 perhaps slightly more refined, both in noise and suspension. But not much in it either way. Anyone used to the UI of Hyundai or Kia will find it an easy car to drive, but a lot more buttons and beeps and bongs compared to Tesla.

Had a look at cheaper version in show room. The Signature 77kWh. Should just squeeze in under grant at €55K, but interior looked a bit miserable. All dark grey, basic cloth seats, hard plastics everywhere. Felt cheap compared with the Elegance. I think the base Ioniq 5 feels better, at least a bit of contrast inside.

The 53kWh base Ioniq 6 comes in at about €50K, with further reduced power.

I feel the base Ioniq 6 will be a difficult sell against the Tesla Model 3 RWD which is a lot better equipped, with much more performance and range. And likewise the Elegance i6 against the Tesla M3 LR.

Overall first impressions, I loved it, including the looks. But price is going to be a problem

Just a few points I missed on my test above..

The heads up display in the Signature Ioniq 6 I tested was the best of any car I have driven.

Strange having the four electric window switches on the centre. Ok, would probably get used to quickly.

I have read no tests or seen any as yet on Youtube for this car. So no idea of real world range etc, but should be good with what looks like such an aerodynamic design. But I didn't feel any desire to change from my Model 3 RWD after driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭MarkN

Having a look around one soon - anything in particular I should check out from your perspective lads?

If you get a chance would be interested in overall efficiency. I didn't reset on my test earlier, so no idea. But should be excellent with its' low drag coefficient. But price I feel is going to be the main problem..

You know the red don't look half bad maybe suits the car. Same with others M3 (red) MY (black hides the bulges and curves), I5 (white) I think look best.

Red looks well imo, also has the lighter interior which I liked. Prefer the shade to the Model 3 red.The one in showroom was Nocturn Grey Matte, I personally didn't particularly like, also had the dark grey basic interior. There was also a white one outside, again didn't think suited car. but agree looks well on the Ioniq 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Advertisement
Advertisement