Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beerholder.

Having seen many of these in person the shape (interior volume) and practicality don't suit what most people here want or need.

If it's a 500+ bhp beast then OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Edgardo.

Beautiful initial concept design compromised by having to fit in onto the existing platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭creedp

Just seen 1st one in the flesh and it would have to be a grower to overcome initial doubts. I know I'm in the minority but I find the Ioniq 5 style quite bland but think Hyundai have tried 2 hard with the styling of the 6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭eagerv

Brought an Elegance 77.4kWh Ioniq 6 for a good run this morning from Hyundai Waterford. The red really suits it, imo, especially with the light interior. Priced at about €65K.

First impressions, I thought it looked really well, but then again I always prefer the looks of a lower car over a tall one.

I have a Tesla Model 3 RWD, so was interested in a comparison. I would say the Ioniq is slightly bigger externally, haven't checked any actual dimensions. Would have liked to park the two cars together, but wasn't possible due to the garage being packed up. I had to park over in the BMW part. Internally there is little in it, both roomy for their size. Boot and frunk both smaller than my Model 3.

Drove the car on a variety of roads. Base Tesla feels a lot more powerful and sportier. Preferred Tesla steering, Ioniq was very light, as is the norm with Hyundai. Some will prefer, but not me. Tried all the modes but little difference except for throttle response. Ioniq 6 perhaps slightly more refined, both in noise and suspension. But not much in it either way. Anyone used to the UI of Hyundai or Kia will find it an easy car to drive, but a lot more buttons and beeps and bongs compared to Tesla.

Had a look at cheaper version in show room. The Signature 77kWh. Should just squeeze in under grant at €55K, but interior looked a bit miserable. All dark grey, basic cloth seats, hard plastics everywhere. Felt cheap compared with the Elegance. I think the base Ioniq 5 feels better, at least a bit of contrast inside.

The 53kWh base Ioniq 6 comes in at about €50K, with further reduced power.

I feel the base Ioniq 6 will be a difficult sell against the Tesla Model 3 RWD which is a lot better equipped, with much more performance and range. And likewise the Elegance i6 against the Tesla M3 LR.

Overall first impressions, I loved it, including the looks. But price is going to be a problem

Just a few points I missed on my test above..

The heads up display in the Signature Ioniq 6 I tested was the best of any car I have driven.

Strange having the four electric window switches on the centre. Ok, would probably get used to quickly.

I have read no tests or seen any as yet on Youtube for this car. So no idea of real world range etc, but should be good with what looks like such an aerodynamic design. But I didn't feel any desire to change from my Model 3 RWD after driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭MarkN

Having a look around one soon - anything in particular I should check out from your perspective lads?

If you get a chance would be interested in overall efficiency. I didn't reset on my test earlier, so no idea. But should be excellent with its' low drag coefficient. But price I feel is going to be the main problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

You know the red don't look half bad maybe suits the car. Same with others M3 (red) MY (black hides the bulges and curves), I5 (white) I think look best.

Red looks well imo, also has the lighter interior which I liked. Prefer the shade to the Model 3 red.The one in showroom was Nocturn Grey Matte, I personally didn't particularly like, also had the dark grey basic interior. There was also a white one outside, again didn't think suited car. but agree looks well on the Ioniq 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Advertisement

Thanks for video, interesting that the dimensions of the Ioniq 6 are that much bigger than the Model 3. I didn't notice it internally.

But the price difference between the two is greater here than across the pond.

Very impressed with car, but as I said previously I think the price will be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Yeah deffo not a fan of the white. Red or nothing 😁.

Most of the darker colours look well imo.

If I had a choice I think I would take the Signature 77kWh Ioniq 6 over the equivalent Ioniq 5, the missus has an i5 and a great car. But this feels equally comfortable but a little more sporty. Of course the 5 is a better package for those that need the space. Also I imagine the range of the i6 will be very good with 614 km on WLTP. Even better than the Model 3 LR, but a long way down on performance and about 13K more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭joe1303l

If you order a 77kWh one of these now, when are you likely to get one ?

I don't know, but most garages have two or three in stock. Not sure if already sold, but worth ringing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What was the GOM reading Eagerv? I was down in Waterford myself yesterday but didn't have time to go into the dealer to have a peek.

Forgot to look at it! Which I normally would not do..🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Bang per buck, Mark. I suppose it's an issue with all EVs. Love the styling but, at the end of the day, not very spacious, especially in boot. Might make a great estate some day though. Price is the thing though.

E.g. I have a great (imo) reasonable-spec, all-rounder ICE estate. I'm low mileage though so there's no financial gain for me to go EV even though I'm not opposed to the idea. The ROI timeframe in years is probably into double figures on a car like the Ioniq 6 and even then I'd be compromising on boot space/practicality (and I NEVER want to own an SUV). There's nothing out there to make me change and, despite the years we've been told of inflation in the second-hand market, dealers are still low-balling on trade-in prices while being well able to price their second-hand stock to match the media stories (all the while coming to the government with the "béal bocht"). Their own worst enemies as always ...

Then there's the example of your recent Ford Dublin-Cork EV video ... Not to pick on Ford particularly as it's not only them but why would anyone with a half-decent car now pay tens of thousands to "upgrade" to a new EV that has all those long-distance compromises as well as other trade-offs (e.g. no spare tyre, etc).

If you're high mileage and you need to change then it's a probably a no-brainer in financial terms (provided your mileage fits the available range) especially as new ICE prices rise to meet EV prices but I find it difficult to see how I could ever personally justify paying €54k for a reasonable one of these, or €46k for Megane E-Tech of reasonable spec and so on (again, compromising on some areas, not to single out these marques or models, just examples).

What I must applaud Hyundai on is that this is a low-slung, proper car and not just another bloody SUV/crossover/etc. I do appreciate the efforts being made here in terms of aerodynamics and efficiencies and hope that this is a sign of things to come from all auto makers as energy-efficiency comes slowly once again you the fore🤞

Love it, just don't see myself stumping up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I agree completely on the SUV/Crossover craze but new saloon/estate cars aren’t selling now matter what fuel option. If you are thinking EV in terms of economics, don’t underestimate the savings if you charge at home at night. Servicing and road tax costs are also negligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

I drove one of these last week too. If it were an estate I’d probably buy it. Love the increase in efficiency. We’ll probably get more odd looking cars in coming years as the emphasis on efficiency increases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Saw a white one in the flesh at a local shopping centre today. Very nice looking car exterior to be fair - slightly bigger in real life than you'd expect from the pictures. Would say it'd look even better in other colours. Cabin/interior I'm not so sure on. Would have to sit in one for a while to see on that front.

Post edited by pandabat on

Think it looks great in darker colours with the lighter interior. But imo you need the Elegance (Starts at €65k 😯). Signature a bit bare and basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭spuddy

Every time I see the rear end, I think of this 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭creedp

Dont see it but for some reason that rear end makes me think of this guy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's the two spoilers he is getting at that make that old Ford and the Ioniq 6 look similar.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Nobby's review is up and worth a watch.

He does say that Charge My Hyundai isn't available in Ireland but it is. Unless he meant plug and charge and not the charging service?

Watched it, a fair video imo.

Made a comment which I felt was fair and constructive, but as usual on Youtube was pounced on as being inaccurate..☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭MarkN

Thanks for sharing it.

Yes I meant there’s currently no Hyundai network in Ireland where you can plug and go.

I thought that was it alright.

I assume it'll eventually work mainly on Ionity like VW?

I passed a Matt grey Ioniq 6 in Dungarvan last week and it looked great. Red really suits it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I had an annoying thing with ChargemyHyundai, they wouldn't recognise my address on the online form, said I was in another townland(not far) but after enquiring with them(could it be changed afterwards) they said "oh your postman will figure it out" (exact words) so I declined to pay the once off charge and will just use my other options to charge instead.

Advertisement