Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's true. But just because you're temporary doesn't mean that the landlord should be able to kick you out whenever they want.

If however in the scenario I outlined above, the landlord offers me a longer term lease and pays less tax, the landlord still pays less tax whether i stay 1 year or 10 years.

It means that

1. I get the security of knowing that I won't be kicked out through no fault of my own.
    2. The landlord pays less tax.

That's a win win for both sides.

If I leave, I give notice and the landlord has time to find another tenant. (If you want to can modify this. Say have an extra months deposit. Or a tenant database. Or a longer notice period etc... The long term lease isn't a solution by itself, it's just one aspect. But it changes property from a short term investment to a long term investment. People are still free to only offer short term lettings but they'd pay higher tax on the earnings.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

A state backed fund means more government borrowing. That means that state money will have to be diverted from other area health, education etc. REITs and other private investors provide their own capital. While I appreciate REITs are not perfect and others have pointed out some of the issues associated. The advantage they do have is that they reduce the need for Irish government borrowing and borrowings from Irish banks. That frees up money to be invested into other areas whether that be the Irish government or Irish companies. We know the dangers that result from the Irish state and banks being too exposed to the property market.

The point about REITs acting in the interests of their investors and those interests not lining up with the best interests of society is a meaningless criticism. No organisation is free from that criticism, local lobby groups, trade unions, political parties, private companies, charities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

One organisation is. The govt and local authorities. Social and affordable housing is loss making. No one other the govt is going to be interested in that.

Trying to outsource those costs to private sector hasn't worked.

You're scheme does nothing to mitigate risk. It's risk causing LLs to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

The LL can't kick you out whenever they want. Do you have any idea of what the current regulations are?

In your scenario the LL lets for 10 years but you can walk away whenever you want, leaving the LL to reinvest into the property to the tune of a couple iof grand before they can rent out. Yeah great for the tenant, not for LL

Why should people who offer short term lease pay higher tax? as I said plenty of people want short term leases. I work in a company and we bring people in from all over the world on 6-48 month contracts. You have just killed the market for these people. Also we are not the only one, hundreds of companies do the same. So more or less you have shut down in one move the market for people to come in, work for a few years and move out

God love the poor students who want to go to college as you just closed it off for them

Also you have done nothing to stop a non paying tenant from been removed, in reality you have just given them more safety they can't get removed.

Not sure why you keep repeating getting kick out for no fault of your own. I guess this is try to pull at heart strings.

• Advertisement

The government needs to include new regulations that the CC can collect at source, it is ridiculous that the government are paying rent allowances/HAP etc and the money is not been passed onto the CC or LL's.

If people don't like it then they don't get entitled to a council house or to HAP.

End of the gravy train

Depending on local authority LL used to be able to collect at source. It's was deliberately changed away from that. It's unlikely FFG will change it back.

Has any party said they will?

They would get my vote. 105m is a disgrace

But that's not the solution to the entire housing crisis. REITs are not the solution just one part of the solution.

Also remember those losses are not cost free, thats money that could be spent in other areas such as Health, education etc. You can let the government take over the rental market and have it loss making but that means a lot less money for other areas. The other people representing those other areas trade unions, charities, voters etc may not take too kindly to those measures when they get hit with cuts/ when expenditure doesn't match inflation as a result.

Edit just to clarify I'm not against local authorities renting at a loss, they have there place,like REITs and small landlords. Local authorities renting at a loss are not the full solution just one part of it.

Post edited by PeadarCo on

You didn't even read to the end did you? the part where I said it was just one aspect. That other things like a tenant databases, larger deposits etc could be included.

• Advertisement

Its the lack of housing at the bottom end that putting pressure upwards on the whole system. Its pushing that demand into the rest of the system. ITs all connected.

REITs are mainly focused at the max profit part of the market. The top end. They are mostly not a solution to anything housing related.

You're pushing long tenancies and tax breaks as means of securing long term return on investment as means to drive LLs and investment and thus supply into the market. Reality is one bad tenant will wipe any meaningful returns on rent. Its too high risk. Too much hassle as well. Capital gains on the property you'll get even if the place is empty.

If a LL never hits a problem they won't even consider these risks. As soon as a LL does, though, they'll realize how exposed they are.

No it's not. Once again, I said it's one aspect. Here in Germany there's rules that state the apartment has to be in the same condition when you leave. The deposit is three months rent. So when I leave this apartment I will have to repaint it. If not, the landlord hires someone and takes the money from my deposit.

As for furniture and stuff like that, if it needs to be repaired or replaced due to natural wear and tear, then that should be built into the original rent. Renting a property is a business. landlords should plan for stuff like that and be putting part of the money away for it. It's a foreseeable expense. If they're too stupid to be able to plan for foreseeable expenses, they shouldn't be in the business of being a landlord.

Can you imagine a coffee shop owner that doesn't plan for maintenance of the coffee machines? Or a taxi driver that doesn't plan for basic maintenance on their car?

In your head is the average landlord a complete idiot? Are they incapable of this? Are they completely unable to offer a basic service? Because I don't think they're like that. I think they're capable of simple planning.

As for students, there's already tax exemptions for certain types of accommodation offered to them. Expand it. Make it so Sept - June leases are cheaper. It might be worth modifying it according to price range though so that we don't end up with a load of those luxury student accommodations and nothing at the lower end. Which is what we have now.

And as for the foreign workers coming in? The landlord can still offer them a longer lease. If they leave early, he finds someone else. He doesn't have to offer them a short term lease. He can if he wants them out at a certain time, but he doesn't have to. So he would still get the tax break. But if he will only offer leases that are shorter term, then he would be in a higher tax. If he says the max term anyone can stay is 3 months, then it's higher tax.

And this isn't about non paying tenants. It was about incentivising making property available for longer and giving tenants more security. Yes, there should be ways to remove a non paying tenant. No-one is saying otherwise. So honestly, that's a strawman. I made clear when I said it that this suggestion was one aspect and didn't cover everything. It was certainly not designed to be the only rule that applies to any tenancy, that would be madness. I said that you could add in additional details. You decided to completely ignore that. You decided to pretend that it was the only rule that would ever apply to any tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is Germany where most people conform with the law.

How well do you think a law that you return an apartment in the same condition when you leave would work in Ireland with HAP tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Are you incapable of expanding on your snide comments?

The CEO’s salary is in line with HSE pay scales and is aligned to point 4 for a HSE Director Regional Health Officer post under the Lansdowne Road Agreement. Peter McVerry Trust does not pay health insurance or provide the CEO with a company car nor is a fuel card provided. There are no top-ups paid to the CEO, senior management team or indeed any Peter McVerry Trust staff member.

All directors are voluntary and receive no remuneration.

Fr Peter McVerry is a founding company director and holds the office of company secretary. He receives no salary, expenses or allowances, nor ever has, for his continued and valuable contribution to Peter McVerry Trust and its challenge to reduce homelessness.

So smartarse tell me, how has Fr Peter McVerry influenced how other charities are run and their salary structures?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Is it less loss making than the current system? Where we pay HAP at market rates?

Certain things like healthcare and social welfare are loss making. they're not designed to make a profit. They're designed to stop extreme poverty. So we don't design them in that way, we just take the cheapest route.

I think in the longer term social housing is cheaper. There's a larger outlay at first because you have to build the homes but longer term you're not paying ridiculous rents.

I'm open to correction on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

We have cash to invest.

We setup up ESB etc as Semi State bodies on a commercial basis for the provision of essential national infrastructure. ESB still returns hundreds of millions annually. Setting up a semi state Housing Development corporation with experts on the board and clear terms of reference should allow us to both invest on required housing infrastructure and achieve a return on that investment. The State could contract the agency for social housing but also the agency could identify opportunities to provide private accommodation on a commercial basis. They could also explore alternate methods of building. A significant proportion of the German housing stock for one is manufactured in factories so built slowly onsite. Biggest blocker to finding new ways of construction in this country are the vested interests who benefit from the status quo. What we are missing is leaders with the vision to propose such a solution and the balls to keep it away from vested interests.

I can’t believe some of the entitlement of some in this thread.

The entire eviction ban was a mess. It was brought in as a covid emergency measure and should never have happened.

The government need to focus on supply and demand issues and stop encroaching on private property. Legislate for the rental market for corporate investors all you like.

However someone renting out their house should not be subject to these at all. Those rentals should be private contracts between the owner and the tenant and the government have no business near it.

Don’t tell me I have to rent. Don’t tell me who I can rent to. Don’t tell me how long or how much I can rent for and especially don’t tell me I can’t move back into my own house. You don’t like my terms don’t rent from me. And if the government doesn’t like it they can make me an offer if they want the house.

The CEO earns between €110k and €120k, which is what I claimed. Go beyond the publicity blurb which you copied and pasted (without even acknowledging that you copied and pasted it direct from the website) and look at the detailed accounts:

500k goes to chuggers, think of that the next time you drop money in a box. They are not the only charity with high-paying salaries and paid chuggers, but they are among the leading lights. I have no time for charities with bloated administrative structures like this.

Reits can finance their own building so yes they are part of the solution unless you are against more accommodation being built. Remember that's accommodation being built that doesn't require Irish government or money from Irish banks. I agree lack of housing is the core issue and its hypocritical to complain about people building accommodation in that context.

As yes they look after the high end of the market. So what? Local authorities look after the lower end of the market, each has their place. The same for small landlords.

• Advertisement

It's covered with the deposit. That's what a deposit is for. And I suggested having larger deposits. Also, and I'm going to be sarcastic now, I forgot no-one follows the law in Ireland. We're all just starting fights, stealing money and peeing on the floor of our rented apartment.

Also, we need more social housing. We shouldn't be relying on HAP.

Why are you objecting to people building accommodation in Ireland? Is it any wonder we have a housing crisis when people object to people building houses because of their own ideology. All that does is stop accommodation getting built and more people end up homeless and in unsuitable accommodation.

The government has a role in building houses either through local authorities and/or some other means. The same goes for REITs, private developers, private landlords, self builds, charities etc. Each comes with their own advantages and disadvantages but each has their place. We have a housing crisis and beggars can't be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Last time I let, I looked for almost 2 months rent as a deposit (it was a nice round number).

I think they've restricted that since then to 1 month max, so further eroding the few (if any) safeguards for landlords.

And having lived and rented as a tenant in Germany (albeit a long time ago, but I've no reason to believe it's changed much), and lived and rented as a landlord here, I would broadly agree that you are far more likely to run into rogue tenants here than there. The mindsets are just poles apart.

(I too lived in an apartment where the kitchen belonged to the guy I was subletting from - it was and still is one of the madder things I ever came across, could never quite get my head around it!)

If you have enough money there is no problem getting housing.

REITs supplying Housing at the top end of the market is not solving any supply problem with the lower end of the market.

Local authorities/Govt are not looking after lower end. Thats why theres a crisis primarily with the lower end of the market. Now pushing ever upwards.

Size of the deposit is irrelevant if you any costs above it can't be recovered, and there's no penalty for causing them, unpaid rent, damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Woah there horsey. A massive goalpost move there. Chuggers indeed. Let's stick to your statement.

You said "I could add the way he has allowed executives in the poverty industry enrich themselves with six-figure salaries running "charities"."

You never claimed what the CEO is on, I told you it mapped to HSE salary scales. I also told you that McVerry receives no salary, expenses or allowances, nor ever has. I also told you that the directors were not paid.

Compare that with other charities. For example, in 2014 the Rehab CEO was getting 240,000 annually + bonus + company car. At the same time Rehab was getting 80m from the government.

At the PAC...

The chief executive of the Rehab Group has defended her salary of €240,000. However, she refused to discuss why her salary for 2013 is €6,000 more than it was in 2010. She said the salaries of Rehab managers are set by outside consultants.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now tell me how McVerry has himself allowed high salaries in other charities?

Or is it just lemons because he dares to criticise your beloved government over their housing disaster?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

So you're talking about people being entitled but feel that you should be entitled to do whatever you want. Do you see the irony?

In every bit of government legislation it's about balancing the needs of the individual with the needs of society. I think the vast majority of people here would agree that some rules are required although we are arguing/discussing the limitations of those rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

This thread is kinda going around in circles now. From reading through it I think most people can agree on the key facts:

• The governments of the last 10 years have made a total mess of the rental market
    • One cause of the mess has been mismanagement due largely to the introduction of populist policies, which was entirely avoidable (rent control, bans on notices to quit etc.)
    • Another cause is the lack of supply, which was more problematic due to multiple factors such as covid, construction labour and materials shortages, planning objections to new builds
    • a further cause is the large increase in population in parallel to the supply issues, including refugees from war torn countries
    • The government opposition have also played a large part in contributing to the problems, pushing populist policies which have led to supply leaving the rental market, and consistently objecting to new developments which were intended to increase supply
    • Charity organisations have also unwittingly and unfortunately contributed to the issues
    • A large portion of the rental suppliers, private individual suppliers, have totally lost confidence in the government and it's policies, plus the opposition and their proposed policies, and are leaving the market as part of a mass exodus - leading to an ongoing supply crisis
    • The loss of confidence is related to fears of property rights being eroded - in some cases leading to vacant properties and letting only to transient renters like students (ironically students have now become a favoured tentant, a big turnaround) as the property owner needs to know they will be able access the property if and when required
    • There is NO short term solution, this will get worse before it gets better. Tokenistic gestures like tax breaks for private suppliers will not suffice, a fundamental overhaul is required.
    • Regarding all the parliamentary parties, NO-ONE is blameless, whether in government or opposition, all of them have contributed to the issues

Have I missed anything? Factual I mean.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement

No director of a charity is paid. That is the law. You are making a virtue out of something that Peter McVerry is obliged to do.

I was a director of two charities (small ones, with no employees and no chuggers) and I wasn't paid, I don't make out I am a saint for not being paid. Only McVerry and his trust go shouting from the rooftops about it.

I never said that the Peter McVerry Trust had the highest salaries, they aren't even the highest among the many housing poverty industry charities that pay high salaries. However, they are one of the most high profile and one that others look to. In that sense they have contributed strongly t0 creating the culture of well-paid charity executives and payments to chuggers that disgrace our charities.

Advertisement