Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭rrs

I wonder will Jordan Morris feature again during Colm O Roukes reign. He was a dropped from the panel after the League , a supposed falling out.

He was playing yesterday for Kingscourt. I think Graham made an approach at the end of last year about playing for Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Antrim didn’t beat Down. They were ahead of them going into the home straight but lost by a point. I think they did the same against Fermanagh.

They only beat Tipp and then Cavan in a game Cavan didn’t need to win. In fairness to them too though, the result of that Longford game didn’t matter either. Longford & Tipp were relegated by then.

It wouldn’t be hard for their S&C to improve given how Cavan bullied them around the pitch in championship last year.

They are a poor side, there’s no dressing that up. I wouldn’t expect their conditioning be next to near that of Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

We should ask again. Hopefully another year playing for Kingscourt will change his mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Jordan Morris won't be playing for Meath again while manager in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

They held big leads over Fermanagh and Down and threw both away by conceding late goals. In fact when I was up in Corrigan, an Antrim Gael beside me was convinced they would throw it away against us even when they went ten points up. He felt it was more psychological as opposed to physical. McEntee has brought a new physicality to their team and it's not just S&C, he's gone for players who are physically big who could cause problems. If this game was in Corrigan I would give Antrim an outside chance. The fact that it is in the Athletic Grounds makes backing Armagh a no-brainer.

Antrim have shown in their "big" Ulster games in the league that they will try to come flying out of the traps and that probably is their only hope. Couldn't believe how passive they were against us last year.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t unsettle our panel for him. Do you honestly think he’s worth a position in the squad? He scored a few goals in a weak Leinster championship against the likes of Wicklow and Kildare - who can be as bad as they can be good.

I haven’t been overly impressed with him for Kingscourt. Saw him live in a Friday night club championship game in Mullagh last year and they took him off towards the end of the match. Alan Clarke that is 40 or so I’d say had more of an impact going in FF for a half than he had.

WAC talked him up a bit but I think that was hype more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

From what I've seen of Morris, he's better scoring threat than everyone in our front 6 bar Lynch. Undoubtedly worth a place on the squad and almost certainly makes the starting team IMO.

A lot of our current inside forward options are either struggling at county level or too inconsistent. Looking to what's coming through, it doesn't seem like that will be changing anytime soon.

In club football, you’d see him as a bigger scoring threat than McKiernan? That’s quite a statement given what Gearoid is racking up in club games at FF for the Gaels.

I wouldn’t even see him as the biggest threat in the Kingscourt attack. Joe Dillon caused Killygarry bigger problems last year.

Morris wasn’t even available for their do-or-die fixture against Gowna last year iirc. I don’t believe he’s scoring anything more than any of our front six in club football in Cavan. I’ve seen plenty of Meath club football and it’s poor compared to Cavan. It’d be a lot more open.

He would be alot better conditioned than the majority of players in Meath but only on par with most in Cavan where there is a lot more emphasis on S&C.

He also brings a bit of baggage with him too from what I’m told.

I was thinking of the situation at this moment in time. Gearoid is coming back from injury and doesn't look like a scoring threat at all at the moment. Obviously fully fit and in form he's the best scoring threat of his generation for Cavan.

Morris has shown for Meath that he's a quality player. A player that can rack up big tallies against any opposition at county level would be welcome in the Cavan squad. As we saw last year, we aren't blessed with many such players.

He scored 8 points in that Kingscourt v Killygarry game. More than any other player on the field.

Kingscourt were playing him between the 40 and inside. Played inside when Barry Reilly was back available. Killygarry couldn't handle him in the quarter final.

• Advertisement

4 points from play. 4 from frees. Dillon scored 1-3 from play that day, including that outstanding goal.

That was a very open and high scoring game. In the other championship games in Cavan last Summer, which were akin to the typical championship game, he failed to impress.

I don’t think he would suit the Ulster championship or playing against better teams than those Meath currently face.

Meath struggled badly in Division 2 this year and last year and Clare put them out in the championship last year. They’re not exactly tearing up any trees.

I certainly don’t believe he’s a player worth potentially upsetting others over.

The lads over on the Meath thread reckon he’s still on the Meath panel anyway according to We Are Meath.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

He was top scorer in the best game of football played in the Championship in Cavan last year. Scoring 1-2 and 0-3 in several games in Division 2 for a struggling Meath side. Banging in goals for fun against the likes of Wicklow in the championship.

He's exactly the type of player Cavan don't have and badly need. It's clear from watching the lad how talented he is. Not sure why anyone thinks he would upset the Cavan squad. They'd be delighted to have more attacking threat in the side.

All a moot point anyway if he's still with Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

We weren't happy with Johnston going to Kildare we need to stop talking about this guy at least until he ever decides he wants to play for Cavan.

It's not the same thing at all. He lives on the border and plays his club football in Cavan. We aren't talking about parachuting in a player with no connection to the county.

Even if he stays with Meath, I think the talent of a Cavan Club footballer is on topic for the Cavan Gaa Thread.

Not the top scorer from play and you are honing in on one game and ignoring the rest of the sample that’s available - the other championship games he played in. Where’s the consistency?

It’s 3 years since he banged in goals against Wicklow for fun. Last year he was taking frees and scored 1-16 in the League in six games for Meath. Hardly groundbreaking stuff.

Against Derry in the League this year I wasn’t surprised to see he looked lost in a packed backline, exactly the type he’d meet in most Ulster games.

I also don’t believe, as I’ve stated above, he would fit the atmosphere in the current squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

It would be interesting to know if the supposed confrontation between Jordan Morris and Colm O Rourke actually happened, or if it is bullshit.

Speaking of full forwards, id say it will be Oisin Brady, Gearoid and Paddy Lynch in the full forward line if all are fit against Armagh/Antrim.

Ryan O Neil may be the unlucky one to lose out. Conor Madden and Conor Smith and O Neil to be used as impact subs.

The two most talented forwards outside Paddy Lynch in my opinion to come through in last 5 years are Caoimhin McGovern and Sean McEvoy.

I still have high hopes for Caoimhin, his recovery process is obviously taking time, but he will get there. McEvoy is on a soccer scholarship at Loyola in the US. I'd say unfortunately we have probably lost him at least for the time being, but best of luck to the lad, hopefully he can get a professional contract out of it. His display against Kilcoo in the Ulster club a few years ago was incredible, I've seen Kilcoo on TV and the flesh a few times during their golden era and i don't know if I've seen a single player cause as much trouble for them as McEvoy did that day even if it was in vain.

If Lynch and McKiernan take the other inside forward positions, who is the third inside forward that's better than Morris on the panel at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Even if he does come into the panel it would probably be next year at the earliest and don’t we have our own home grown talent coming through in darragh Lovett and darragh madden, I’d say we are better off to stay out of any transfers. We have paddy Lynch and Oisin brady making great strides and are top quality talent.

You could be right mogue. Especially when he's on the border and has a few years playing with Meath. Hopefully Lovett can work on his finishing and step up to senior level eventually.

That’s quite easy to answer. I would take Conor Madden any day of the week over Morris. Morris has never changed a tight game like Madden did that Ulster SF vs Down. He hasn’t scored 2-3 against a Div 1 opponent like Roscommon. He hasn’t performed consistently in the Cavan club championship like Madden. In fact, other than mentioning that one club game vs Killygarry, or intercounty games against poor Leinster opposition from 2/3 years ago, what games exactly are you rating Morris on?

Oisin Brady or Conor Smith (when fit) would also get the nod ahead of him. Not to mention Dara Mc and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him lining out in there come Championship because I still think Mickey likes to throw a curveball.

I saw Morris in a challenge game against Donegal the week before the League. Donegal put a tight man marker on him and he hadn’t the temperament for it. He ended up being more interested in trying to punch the head off his man, in a challenge match, than trying to play football.

He’s still a Meath player anyway, by all accounts, and, even if he wasn’t, why would we do a McGeeney and go chasing after a player from another county because they fell out with the management there?

• Advertisement

Morris playing club football in Cavan, unlike Raymond Cunningham who was part of the 97 panel.

Donegal won the Ulster Minor League last weekend beating Derry. They seemed to be in disarray underage with Karl Lacey and a lot of coaches leaving, but that was a good win. They are playing Derry this weekend also in Ulster U20 semis.

Cavan minor league results weren't great ,but maybe an improvement for championship.

When you think of players will def start against Armagh (if fit), I have:

1. Ray Galligan
    2. Padraig Faulkner
    3. Jason McLoughlin
    4. Niall Carolan
    5. Killian Clarke
    6. Gerard Smith
    7. Conor Brady
    8. Dara McVeety
    9. Ciaran Brady
    10. James Smith
    11. Gearoid McKiernan
    12. Oisin Brady
    13. Paddy Lynch

Those are in no particular order but I think they all play if fit. That leaves the two Maddens, Tiarnan & Cian, Oisin Kiernan, Ryan O’Neill, Brandon Boylan, the two Conors, Madden & Smith, Johnny McCabe, Jack McKenna & David Brady all vying for two places.

Conor Madden, consistent? LOL

You're using a game from 2019 to justify picking Madden and writing off a Morris performance from 2020 because it's too long ago. You're clearly not discussing this in good faith.

There is no comparison with McGeeney, Morris is a Cavan Club Footballer. Nobody suggesting poaching him, the discussion was based on a rumour that he wouldn't play under O'Rourke. If its not true then grand, it's all moot.

Sounds like you have an agenda here, if you're going to Meath challenge games you're obviously fairly invested with them.

Madden is consistent in Cavan club football. I didn’t say anything about intercounty if you read my point. Morris has not been, albeit after one season. He won’t get the space in 90% of Cavan club football games that he did in that Killygarry game and that showed last year in his other performances.

I’m writing off a Morris performance mainly because it’s against poor Leinster opposition. As I’ve already said above, Leinster football is very poor outside of Dublin. Ulster football is a lot more tactical and forwards have a lot less space. I wasn’t surprised to see Morris do absolutely nothing against Derry.

Let me ask again, what performances are you basing your opinion of Morris off? You seem to be rating him above numerous Cavan forwards off the back of one club football game. You did already ignore this question so I guess we have our genuine answer before you attempt to go Googling a response now that I’ve asked again.

The challenge game was played in Lavey in January. There were plenty of people there from lots of Cavan clubs to take a free opportunity to see two intercounty teams play and watch players like Patrick McBrearty up close.

It’s already been said, I think three or four times now, that We Are Meath have advised that Morris is still in the Meath panel but you continue to debate the point despite saying “it’s all moot”.

No agenda. I just appear to be more informed on the topic than you having a passing interest in and attending some Meath intercounty and club games but you don’t seem to be able to accept that.

In my book, when someone is avoiding questions asked, deliberately attempting to twist points made and feeling the need to answer their own question by typing out “LOL”, they’re struggling.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

He probably has a different account for posting on the Meath thread !

As previously said, if you’ve an issue, contact a mod - that matter has already been discussed with them.

Otherwise, if you’ve nothing positive to add to the debate at hand, I’d ask that you not deflect away from it.

I'm not taking the time to read all that but I'm happy for you, or sorry that it happened.

Onto the next topic so, I mentioned media bias to certain players last year. No offence to him, I think even he would be embarrassed by it, but how did Gearoid McKiernan make the GAA team of the week?

I wasn't debating and I think it was a fair comment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

@celt262 calling out people on thread isn't allowed - attack the post, not the poster.

Issue has already been dealt - continuation will result in cards

Advertisement