Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Also lost to Munster in Lansdowne at some point during MOC's tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Jesus, I think I was at 3 of them! 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Won't the atmosphere suffer with a half full stadium? I would wonder what the profit margin would be, if it is worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It might suffer but to open up upper tiers you need to have bar, food kiosk staff, chefs for food units, extra stewards, security, extra doctors etc

Easier for everyone to just restrict sales and know you will have everything able to cater to that crowd than open up everywhere and potentially not have enough to cater for a bigger than anticipated crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

A fully opened stadium with only 50-60% attendance looks and sounds worse than a 'full' half opened stadium because with the latter, all fans are bunched together and the noise is more concentrated which I think lends to a better atmosphere.

Also worth noting that the one week turnaround in this competition between last 16 and quarter final is not away-fan friendly at all (for any of the away teams) so I'd imagine there's not as big a travelling contingent to fill seats as there may normally be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It looks like returns are up on ticketmaster that suggest that Leicester sold about 700 tickets of their allocation (which based on open stands should be 2700).

I'd imagine hotel prices in Dublin City aren't helping either. A quick look at Booking.com shows only a handful of hotels with a room for less than €200 for Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm going to guess that means Leicester sold 500 as Leicester would be entitled to 2,700 (and returns had to come back today) and the amount of ticketson ticketmaster jumped by abount 2,000 (eyeball guess) earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone know what the age restriction is for a Junior Ticket please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Disappointed for the Tigers. That's poor support.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Even 500 people managing to book flights/boats and accommodation in Dublin on Easter weekend at a couple of day's notice is impressive IMO. Those fans are probably paying thousands to see a game they are unlikely to win

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

They had 6 days to book flights and accommodation, Dublin is very expensive, getting 500 over would be decent imo given the circumstances.

Supposedly Ulster have offered Sam Prendergast a full contract for next season.

The departures of Lancaster and Sexton will have an impact on the standard of coaching and guidance Prednergast will get at Leinster. Staying would be a have been a no brainer but things will change next season.

If he is as good as people hope he could well be straight in as second choice to Burns and maybe even pushing that by later in the season.

Yeah agreed; but it's not a given that he accepts it. I'd say there is an above average chance Leinster will also offer a full contract to keep him.

Connacht have definitely been in the mix for him in the past (think they made an offer last summer when Leinster added him to the Academy), so there is probably also the option of a senior contract out there.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lost to sarries during in a knock out game covid. 2020 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd be surprised if Prendergast left. Seems likely to make his Leinster debut on the tour to South Africa. With Sexton retiring and Ross Byrne likely to be involved with Ireland, the back up 10 role is up for grabs.

He'll be looking at his brother though and how well he has done since leaving for Connacht. He does have some things to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Makes sense that Ulster would. I've stated before but they've a gaping hole at 10.

This is similar to when Doris got offered a contract by Connacht. He was also year 1 academy and hadn't yet made an appearance when Connacht came knocking. Leinster wanted to keep him in the academy another year but had to match it and promote him early. Obviously that worked out pretty damn well lol.

Being honest I think Prendergast would be bonkers to take it. Game time might be more plentiful but development will not be. I think McFarland is out the door the first chance he gets.

Yes there are a lot of young and up and coming players in Ulster that might make a formidable backline in the coming years. But I think Prendergast will fulfil a fraction of his potential there.

What this does mean though is Leinster will have to react now and offer him a senior deal

Yeah, complete agreement.

I was worried 12 months ago when Connacht came calling because I thought (i) his brother has thrived there, (ii) he'd have a easier transition having his older brother in the squad, (iii) worried there might be some anger / resentment in the Prendergast household after Cian not getting a Leinster deal.

But none of that seems to have swayed him.

If he didn't blink 12 months ago - I don't know what's changed now. His star is higher, he's off the back of an incredibly successful Grand Slam win at 20s where he was the star player, and as you said will likely make his Leinster debut in the next few weeks.

It's also not like it's a move that's worked out brilliantly for a lot of other guys (leaving Leinster at this point for game time elsewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

While Lancaster and Sexton departing will change things at Leinster, Connacht are also going through a coaching transition and as someone else mentioned, McFarland isn't exactly looking settled at Ulster. So moving to a more settled coaching ticket doesn't appear to be an option really.

Then it's just down to quality of coaching with remaining coaches as well as opportunities for game time. It feels harsh on Tector, but I'd like for Prendergast to get a fair few minutes in SA to a) encourage him as to his prospects and Leinster and b) get a decent look at him in what will be hard games.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭RAKM

If Prendergast goes to Ulster it would be a great mistake. He will play better in a better set up at Leinster no matter what the money situation. Was going to say if he goes to Ulster I'd be worried about letting him out of the house on his own but didnt want to offend anybody who is woke.

This was a constructive comment. We are all better off having read this. Congratulations

I think it might also come down to where Leinster see Frawley in the grand scheme of things.

If Prendergast ends up being behind Ross (28), Harry (23) and Frawley (25) (in addition to Charlie Tector depending on where he sits), he might fancy an opportunity where he can get game time as he could be a long time waiting for it at Leinster being 4th or 5th choice.

I don't think it's mad for him to look at that list of players currently ahead of him and think that in the next 2-3 years, he has a better chance of getting on the pitch elsewhere. That said, if he has confidence in his abilities and he's hell-bent on staying within the coaching structure, I can see him staying too.

I'd hope he is getting well advised.

The dogs on the street know that 10 shirt is as winnable as it ever has been in years.

It is currently Ross Byrnes to lose. He has it, he earned it, he deserves it. But it's not the same as talking about Furlongs or Ryans or VDFs or Sextons or Keenans shirts. Those are stitched on to the lads.

I've been a long time defender of Ross but the reality is it's not as hard to jump him as it is one of the aforementioned players.

Similarly, Harry and Frawley have no right to the jersey either. Both have shown promise there with some very good performances thrown in too. But there is nothing about their form or ability that a young up and coming 10 should be looking at to say "I can't do that"

I can't speak for Sam. But as a high performance athlete I know he's completely convinced he has what it takes to be Leinsters starting 10 before too long. He absolutely knows what he offers that gives him a point of difference and what he has to do to improve the areas he's falling down currently.

I just hope what Ulster are selling him isn't too convincing...

Easy to remember too. With Ross highly likely to be going to the RWC and Burns not in a realistic position to be travelling. There is actually not necessarily more potential game time at Ulster at least at the start of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster have picked Frawley at 10 once in the last 2 seasons. I think it’s fairly clear we don’t see him as a 10. Ireland might be a different issue but Leinster clearly don’t see him as a 10.

• Advertisement

I had considered this but I think it's in particular Lancaster who didn't see him as a 10.

That could change next season. He has all the tools to be a very very good outhalf. I'm sure a lot of coaches will agree.

Not necessarily that I think Lancaster is wrong. But whomever takes the reigns may well see Frawley as exclusively a 10

Advertisement