Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I never said it wasn’t but the greens were in power in ‘22.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

This was the original post which I asked the person for clarity

How have the green party with 12 tds end up holding this government to ransom and making all the decisions that effect your average person regarding all these taxes they are forcing on us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Greens don't care, they are making change, Luas and DART proceeding, legislation on climate change in place, transformation of cycling infrastructure, carbon tax in place etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What have the Greens achieved since 2020?

Obviously their highest profile plan is in shreds (i.e. utterly failed) but what significant impacts have they achieved?

Scheme branded a 'failure' with just 89 homes retrofitted out of target of 62,500 (irishexaminer.com)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The lack of political will is astounding at this point.

Housing Dept underspent €1 billion from 2020 to 2022 (rte.ie)

The Department of Housing failed to spend over €1 billion of its capital budget for housing between 2020 and 2022.

Last year, the first full year of the Government's Housing for All plan, over €471 million was unspent.

---------------

Excuses Excuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Climate Act

Investment in cycling infrastructure

Progession of DART+ and Metro

Ending of overinvestment in roads

Investment in bus corridors and extra buses.

These are all slow burners, which is why the opposition and posters like yourself are so worried about the Green. If the government lasts the pace, these advances will be plain to see.

What have they achieved?

Not plans or targets or bike lanes. Slow burners doesn't cut it when we are at a "tipping point". Earth just had it's 2nd warmest March on record.

What significant difference have they made for the environment?

And the much heralded retrofit plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

All the greens want to achieve is tax everyone to oblivion and farming in particular.look at the citizens association report.tax food production end off.okay lads go off and eat tree’s instead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The greens are brain-dead, they expected people to pay 40k up front in the midst of a cost of living crisis so in 30 years your energy bills will be a bit cheaper after your original investment pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Greens seem obsessed with pushing very unpopular tax increasing policies to reduce emissions. I've always wondered why they don't instead enact policies that would both reduce emissions and be popular with the general public. Because they do exist.

Things like introducing a very low interest rate loan from the government to allow people to get solar panels, or BER upgrades, or electric vehicles. You just pay it back as a fixed % of your income, regardless of if you're a pensioner or high earner or anything in-between. And the loans are open to anyone, regardless of income.

That would have a massive impact on our emissions, it would improve people's day to day lives, and would make use of some of the large amount of cash the government apparently has and is unable to spend. It would be win/win/win.

But no, instead they focus on things like raising the carbon tax, or blocking government energy grants, that make people, especially lower income people, struggle more with their lives. Its punitive environmental policy instead of progressive.

• Advertisement

You should check our SEAI for grants for everything you described, they have just removed VAT on solar panel supply and installations.

I am still waiting for the taxes they are pushing.

In regards to blocking the energy grant, it wasn't blocked as per my post earlier

I'm very familiar with SEAI grants, they're nothing like what I mentioned - they only cover a small fraction of the cost and you have to pay the cash up front yourself. If you're a low, or middle, income household the problem is getting that 20,000-50,000 lump sum in the first place to get the BER work done and solar panels installed. Or getting the 40,000 to buy an electric vehicle.

What exactly do you call the carbon tax if not a tax?

In regards to not blocking the energy grant, thats not true at all:

"The Green Party will seek to block the introduction of a fourth €200 electricity credit this summer in crucial talks on a new cost-of-living package for households, Independent.ie can reveal."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/greens-want-to-block-fourth-200-electricity-credit-for-this-summer-amid-coalition-row-42344635.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm not suggesting Martin should rule out a deal with SF I'm saying he should signal a preference for another one with FG (without necessarily saying it in so many words).

Wow, wasn't expecting him to come out with this so far out from the election, and without even mentioning FG, maybe he's been reading my posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Bertie Ahern's comments about FF going into government with SF seems to have rattled him. The recent FF losses in opinion polls probably haven't helped either. He's made FF indistinguishable from FG and turned the 2016 electoral rebound into a dead cat bounce in 2020. With O'Brien as Housing minister, FF seems to be taking most of the flak on the end of the evictions ban, Wouldn't be suprised to see FFers blaming him for the party's decline and he may not be leading FF into the next GE.

Regards...jmcc

If you knew about the SEAI you would have mentioned it. The SEAI start from as small as a bit of insulation in attic up to full retrofit. I think you should check it out, some great grants available. I have used a few times, haven't used others.

I remember an interview with Eamonn Ryan after he joined the government and he was clear he wasn't asking everyone to buy an electric car. Just do what they could do, so that could be a few rolls of insulation right up to a retrofit

By the way, the number of electric cars been sold is soaring. Which will mean the second hand market is growing and will flow down to all levels, that's the way it works

Carbon tax? it was introduced 13+ years ago and majority of that the Green Party was nowhere near the government and it has increased. Has any party said they will remove the carbon tax?

I gave you the link, they didn't block it. They asked for it to be held until next winter when people would need it and concentrate on helping the people that need it now. A good idea do you not think? give the grant at the time people need it.

Post edited by redlough on

Is anyone surprised by this? as I said a few days ago the FF core voters want nothing to do with SF and no FF leader will be able to go against.

Didn't we also have people suggesting FF would join SF after last election only for the party to turn around and say no chance.

FF are lining up for a term in opposition as I said, rebuild the party when they have to do nothing but release little videos complaining about the government and making outlandish promises that can never be delivered.

Still pushing the propagada that FF and FG are the same. Ignoring the core voters for both parties.

The eviction ban is just the latest media pushed "disaster", it will be over in a few weeks and they will move onto the next one

In reality the removal of the ban will get back voters who have been hammered for years, now proper rental laws to attract back LL will be a good move for the government.

Post edited by redlough on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

For a lot of people the bike lanes are a huge achievement. I know in my area we are crying out for them and people want them sooner than later. If you take the short term view then nothing would get done, a bicycle lane now will promote cycling for years to come. Also help with Ireland obesity issue which is growing by the minute.

The removal of VAT on solar panels installation and products is a huge win for a lot of people looking to invest in solar electricity. Yes a small installation is not huge but take 50,000 houses off the grid during the day and its a huge win.

The project with BNM to keep all jobs and move from harvesting bog to re-wetting is massive for the environment but also all the people in the area.

The Greenway project which are opening all over Ireland are great projects.

The SEAI grant system also had a huge bump up in grants when the new retrofit program was relaunched.

That's just off top of head.

The best way to get out of climate issue is long term project like cycleways etc. Also from a health point of view we need to make it easier for adults and especially children to cycle and other forms of transport that is not based on cars.

Oh you decided to reply this time. Most of above sound like plans and dreams. The bike lanes are council led long before 2020. What have they achieved since 2020? In actual numbers e.g. how many miles of cycleways? 50,000 homes have got solar panels since 2020? I'll check that. The VAT was reduced only recently!

BNM were doing a redundancy scheme a few years ago so I am not sure what jobs you are saving with rewetting peatlands. The peat plants were closed well before 2020. Moneypoint is burning more coal than ever.

In Galway we are waiting for the Galway-Clifden Greenway for over 20 years. Glacial progress from the council.

What about their high profile and potentially high impact retrofit plan? How are we doing in relation to the emissions targets (e.g. farming by 25%)? You know, the big stuff...

Feb 2023

Ireland's emissions continue to rise despite hitting 79% of climate targets (irishexaminer.com)

Ireland's emissions continue to rise despite hitting 79% of climate targets 

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is anyone surprised by this? as I said a few days ago the FF core voters want nothing to do with SF and no FF leader will be able to go against.

Saying you 'do not see' something doesn't mean ruling it out. Indeed 'ruling something out' would appear not to mean ruling it out in Martin's world

Didn't we also have people suggesting FF would join SF after last election only for the party to turn around and say no chance.

They did eventually say 'no chance' but only after a distinct wobble from the leader

FF are lining up for a term in opposition as I said

This will only be possible if there is an SF-led left government, and that's not looking likely right now.

Failing that FF+SF may be the only option, or FF may face a choice between SF and FG+Others...

• Advertisement

I didn't mention the SEAI grants because they're effectively useless to any low, and most middle, income households. Those households are never going to be able to avail of them because they can never afford the huge lump sum up front required to avail of the partial grant. They effectively function as subsidies for upper middle/upper income households only, because the Greens designed them this way - badly (or deliberately, I guess).

The Greens are the only party lobbying for increases in the carbon tax. Without their presence in government, the increases would be delayed. Again, this is widely-reported and has plenty of evidence:

"Green Party leader Eamon Ryan has vowed that a planned hike to carbon tax must go ahead next month despite the soaring cost of living.

As backbench TDs from Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael revolt over the planned increase, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar said nothing can be done without the support of all three parties in the Coalition."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/planned-carbon-tax-hike-will-go-ahead-despite-soaring-cost-of-living-41517515.html

The Greens blocked a Spring 200euro energy grant that would have helped out thousands of households struggling right now. As that article, and plenty others, say. So you were either lying or ignorant of this. If it wasn't for the Greens, there would have been that 200euro grant this spring and additional grants next winter. They literally single-handedly cost every household in the country 200euro.

It all adds up, as I said, to relentlessly punitive environmental policy that punishes the poorest in Ireland. Instead of providing financial support to help people make changes, the Greens rely on taxing them into making changes. Which hits poor people far more than rich people, who can just pay the extra cost and ignore it.

When carbon tax goes up the person from Donnybrook driving a 2022 SUV won't even notice 20euro extra a week on petrol, but the struggling rural family most certainly will. And thats the core problem with most of the Green's policies - they won't inconvenience their urban, upper-middle class support base too much, but they very much hurt the working class or anyone in a rural area.

From the article this is all Martin said: Asked about a coalition with Sinn Féin, he said: "I'm a democrat," before adding, "I listen to the people, I respect the decision of the people.". Hardly a glowing statement and you could read it multiple way. The rest of the article is about everyone saying they will not join SF. Never trust a headline.

Why would SF want to join FF anyway as they have told everyone how terrible they are?

First off on the Greenway, who is running Galway county council? based on last two elections it seems to be majority of FF and FG yet you are blaming the Greens. How did you work that one out?

Who is your local TD's? which party are they aligned to or are they independents? from wiki it seems to suggest independents. Not the Green party.

You didn't mention the one scheme in Ireland build for the topic you discussed? seems like a glaring miss doesn't it. The SEAI scheme has been around for years and thousands have used.

You mention "lump sum" because I guess you are trying to get a reaction, how big of a lump sum is it to roll out insulation in attic?

Again I am still waiting for this list of tax's the Green party are forcing on us. Is all you can come up is the Carbon tax? Yes or no

I have given up on the Greenway thanks. Small stuff. Council stuff, my questions is about the Green Party in government and their achievements. In metrics, not waffle.

Try answering the 2 big questions in my post. The ones you chose to ignore as you do. Retrofits & Emissions achievements?

"First off" he says and then completely ignores the point of the post. 😂

I suggested a policy that would cover all of the up front costs of BER renovations and solar panels for lower and middle income households. And you responded by naming a scheme that requires 100% of upfront costs to be covered by households, and later pays them back 10-25% of the total. If you can't see how the two are wildly different then you might have critical thinking issues.

For an average/modest sized house in Ireland (100sqm) the total cost for a BER retrofit is usually 40,000-60,000. The Irish Examiner investigated this, and got a a figure of 65,000euro for a 108sqm house. Of which SEAI grants covered only 14,000euro:

Thats why the SEAI grants are only relevant to those households in the upper or upper-middle class. Nobody below that can afford the approx 50,000euro out of pocket cost. And thats why the number of BER home renovations being carried out is far below targets. Its a complete failure of Green policy making.

You claimed, repeatedly, the Greens weren't forcing any taxes or costs on Irish households, and asked for any taxes or costs the Greens are forcing on us. I listed two in this very short year so far alone - refusing the Spring energy grant and forcing the carbon tax increase. Those alone will cost the average Irish household anywhere from 400euro-1500euro this year, at a time when so many are struggling hugely as it is.

Thats why the Greens are at only 4% support currently - despite most people in Ireland being very aware of the climate crisis and supportive of measures to fight it these days. For 90% of Irish people the policies of the Greens are hugely harmful, instead of beneficial. Thats down to their own incompetence in relying on taxes to force behaviour change instead of financial support to aid it.

If people don’t have the money they can get additional grants for upgrades.

Also lowish interest rates available for loans. The government is not a lending organisation for everyone in ireland

You keep going on about retrofit but plenty of upgrades available without a full retrofit. I know that doesn’t suit your point. I am part of a group which has just gone past 100k users and is about Solar, most are doing houses up bit by bit. The way the majority do it

The spring rebate is not a tax

So again, is carbon tax all you can come up with? Yes/no?

Also every party has a Green agenda. I suggest you look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Just to add briefly to this very good analysis, it has been barely a year but government have now quietly dropped all this majority of houses being retrofitted by 2030 nonsense.

Methinks some bright spark within the Dept. has actually looked at a calendar and done the maths with their fingers.

You blamed the Green Party for the greenway and then when I pointed out it was the local councillors and TDs you don’t want it anymore.

Kind of says it all doesn’t it.

Next time vote for Green Party and you might end up with that Greenway, stop voting for people who don’t deliver for you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Also, the retrofitting of Council and AHB stock continues. Roll on a couple of years, we'll have both ends of the social spectrum, the most affluent and the poorest, living in energy efficient homes, while every one else has been unable to afford it. Cue the squeezed middle having another bona fide argument that they are being shafted.

Advertisement