Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I opened a few observations on Metrolink at random and some are exactly the same. I suspect a copy-paste job probably being spread by a Facebook group.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jumpinsheep

Thanks for the link - is it standard practice to have observations sent to ABP, published in a different website than their own?

Documents visible from ABP's website, are those of the project that TII/NTA submitted: https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/314724

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jumpinsheep

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That hits all his highlights, alright. Stops just short of saying "won't someone think of the children?"

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Its the Seatown Woodies that is objecting.

You seem to be thinking of the Airside retail park (which is also in Swords and also has a Woodies).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My post above was mostly in reply to a newspaper article and conversation about Smyths Toystore in Airside.

I see what you are saying about Woodies Seatown, but frankly the same applies there too. A Metrolink station is going to go in across the road from this Woodies, there is absolutely no way this will continue to be a two story warehouse across the road from a Metrolink station! I don't know who owns the land Woodies Seatown stands on, but it doesn't really matter, either the land owner or Woodies parent company will jump at the oppurtunity to sell it to a developer and have the site redeveloped into high density housing or office development, depending on zoning.

After all, this is the whole point of Metrolink, to open up and develop underutilised land.

The reason why there are so many warehouses and warehouse type retailers around Swords is because in the past it was "cheap" land. Just some farmers fields, buy it, build a cheap warehouse and pave it over for cheap free car parking.

But with Metrolink going through the area, this will now change radically, the area is going to change from relatively "cheap" land to some of the most expensive and in demand land in the city. There is no way any of these warehouses will remain anywhere near these stations, even if they aren't directly impacted by Metrolink. The owners of lands anywhere near the Metrolink line will want to redevelop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Closure of key railway lines during MetroLink build would cause ‘significant disruption’

I don't think the original Metro North plans envisioned this kind of closure of the Maynooth line. This news really smacks of short-term planning and lack of joined-up thinking, and it's evidence of how the changes to the Swords connection (between Metro North into Metrolink) were botched together for political expediency without proper consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Not really, the works can be timed to keep one of the lines open at most times. The gswr and mgwr pass through

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"The Abbey Theatre complained of a lack of consultation" - FFS

the other stuff all seems reasonable and manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm always curious, how many rounds of public consultation do these people want? 3 is already the world's highest. Would 10 rounds be enough? 100?

• Advertisement

they should print out all the project documents, reports and past consultations, stick them in boxes and deliver them to the manager of the Abbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Glasnevin probably should be done as under separate contract and progressed ahead of the other civil works contracts. Glasnevin Junction is actually fairly central in the DART+ West project when you consider that there are double the tracks from there to Connolly/SD. Presumably works for DART+W will start from the ends, it should be possible to have the Metrolink station box built before the DART+ works get to that area. I'm sure the opportunity would also be taken to do DART+ works during the Metrolink closures.

The Mater comments seem a bit irrelevant. The EmergencyDepartment entrance well away from where the Metrolink station box is to be built. Isn't the National Isolation Unit is the new building they recently threw together (with questionable planning permission iirc)? If so, it was designed and built after the Metrolink proposals had been announced. They could have built it 60m further from the Metrolink station box location if they wanted.

As for Dept. for Housing, have they any suggestions on where else to locate a station near there (which is an area that absolutely needs a station)? The previous plan was to literally dig up half the park, the proposal now has minimal impact on the park.

I think the question is how did we get to a stage where three fairly major infrastructure projects are planned for Glasnevin within a few years of one another and yet they are all planned in such a way as to not account for one another while also maximising disruption for commuters in the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Unclear (to me) from the article which line potentially closes for 21 months and which for 5 months. As I don't know which is MGWR and which is GSWR. So is it Maynooth or Newbridge branch that closes for 21 months?

Also is it feasible, physical space and cost, to redesign Glasnevin Junction to keep both paths open, if one of the lines either side of the Brian Boru was kept open during the work? (I guess which line was open would alternate at some stage).

they're very close together there (which is the exact reason that's the location of the station) but presumably one line can be kept open and trains from the other line diverted. It would require works at the crossover junction further west but those are required anyway for Dart+.

It's baffling the lack of co-ordination between these projects that are clearly interlinked and overseen by a single agency; also that the Metro team could submit an application requiring a 21 month closure and Irish Rail not have been consulted on it in advance. Amateur hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

MGWR line is the one along the Canal

GSWR line is the one via Drumcondra station

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So this land will change to expensive land because of metro link isn’t something to be getting excited about either! Expensive land= expensive house prices.

Hopefully the more houses available to sell would mean lower house prices but with massive demand keeping house prices high, these houses would be putting massive mortgages on people. (keep in mind Irelands population could be at 10mill by 2050) https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/11/19/david-mcwilliams-a-new-united-ireland-should-be-planning-for-a-population-of-10-million/

Creating an interdependency between the projects would see everything delayed if one project runs into problems. If the Metrolink RO was refused, would IE be able to proceed with DART+ West as a separate standalone project when it was designed around works at Glasnevin being completed under Metrolink?

Both projects being able to proceed independent of each other is a good thing. Linking them just brings in more risks. The closure is required regardless of whether DART+ West has been completed or not, it's not like the close can be avoided. The station box needs to be dug out under the tracks as part of Metrolink, DART+ is immaterial to that fact.

I think IE need to get their project started before they start fretting over access to their as yet non-existent depot. They can't yet confirm when actual DART+ works will happen at Glasnevin. Its not impossible that the Metrolink station box starts on site at Glasnevin before DART+ does.

And yet interdependency was key to the success of the C2CC cycle route ...yet we're willing to learn nothing from that.

I'm not suggesting tying them all together into one megaproject but IÉ's objections make it sound like they haven't even been consulted on the plans for Glasnevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

It was, for me, a very surprising decision to move that section of the original metro proposal from the Drumcondra area to Glasnevin.

Drumcondra has a much higher population density than the area around Glasnevin Junction, and it is more remote from the Green LUAS.

Building via Glasnevin means building through an area with a considerably lower population, relative to Drumcondra, and means building the metro pretty much adjacent to the LUAS, with inevitable cannibalisation of the LUAS catchment. It has never made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

The Dart+ West plans do not include a new junction layout at Glasnevin, which allows the Phoenix Park Tunnel route to switch to the Drumcondra line.

I was very surprised when I saw this. Not sure why. Note the PPT line top left.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

This one is on you Pete_Cavan. You had to go and mention him in the Luas Finglas thread and now look what's happened.

C2CC is in no way comparable to linking two multi billion € projects such that if one gets delayed, both get delayed. You'd be staking the future development of both the city's heavy and light rail network on 500m of track, without which everything stagnates.

If DART+ was otherwise good to go but wasn't allowed to proceed because Metrolink encountered delays (or vice versa), that would be true incompetence.

I knew no good would come from mentioning his name but in this case, regardless of that, I think the questioning of the Glasnevin Junction station would have got his spidey senses tingling and he would have shown up banging his favourite drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Economics101

I was amazed to see the huge disruption to the rail network bacause of the Glasnevin proposed closure. If there is a single location on the entire network which is absolutely vital, it is Glasnevin Junction. Metro systems in other countries do not involve such massive disruption , for example the construction of the new Crossrail (Elizabeth) line in London was not allowed to radically disrupt existing services.

In my view this all stems from having TII responsible for Road and Luas projects, but not, as far as I can make out, for heavy rail projects. If there is one huge gaping hole in the planning of transport infrastructure it is the lack of proper co-ordination under a comprehensive major infrastructure body.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Sorry just to be clear, the PPT line can't connect to the Royal Canal line. It's only connected to the Drumcondra line.

Also the Royal Canal line only connects to Connolly by a single line. This couldn't be used to divert Maynooth trains. They would have to go to Docklands station. This might raise a question if they would prioritise finishing the New Spencer Dock station early on, but unlikely.

Here is the Iarnród Éireann submission is here;

It is actually quite short and most of it just says that lots of stuff will have to be mutually agreed beforehand. It certainly isnt a prophecy of doom as the reactions of some seem to suggest. Despite the claim here that IÉ were not consulted, the first paragraph literally says "NTA/TII ... has consulted with Iarnród Éireann...".

Regarding the closure at Glasnevin, it says "Iarnród Éireann is firmly of the view that the prolonger closures proposed are excessive and that, coupled with an appropriate short term track possessions regime, significantly shorter closure periods should be feasible". Basically say, when we get into the nitty gritty of the detail, shorter closures should work. The Metrolink team were probably taking worst case scenario but in the knowledge that that was unlikely to happen.

IÉ also say "disruptive impacts to train operations must be minimised and timed for periods of lower passenger and freight usage on Iarnród Éireann services e.g. summer months". So just saying to plan most of the heavy works for during the summer.

The planned closures would not be concurrent, two tracks would be kept available. From the reactions of some here you'd think Metrolink proposed to shut down the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

So that would mean there would be nothing for southwest services north of Heuston whenever there is disruption to Drumcondra line .

At least Maynooth would have the Midland line to get to Connolly.

Other question would be could PPT services terminate in Glasnevin in these circumstances or would they terminate in Heuston ?

• Advertisement

I assume the track layout that was shown is a final layout but that there could be numerous temporary layouts to facilitate works (but DART+ West and Metrolink) at various times before the final layout is realised.

Advertisement