Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it might be good for everyone if he went north for two years.

If he's as good as we think he'll make an immediate impact and can consider his options later.

If he's not then regular game time is necessary for him and there's no guarantee of it at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yes but next year we will have both Byrnes, Tector and Prendergast there. We don’t really need him at 10. It would certainly be difficult to find game time for him. Where as Henshaw will barely play in the league and Ngatai seems to have significant injury concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I have no real idea why Farrell considers Frawley a 10 but he's not one for me. And it very much seems like Leinster agree.

Prendergast won't be long getting past Tector if he's as good as we think he might be. Then it's just the Byrne brothers to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doris at 7 is interesting. It gets all Leinsters best players on the pitch. And a game against a very hard hitting Leicester side may be the one where you don't necessarily need an out and out 7. Match power for power. Especially if you select Jenkins to start as well. Doesn't really seem like it's Leinsters style though.

Would be harsh on Penny too. Played very well this season. I think I'd prefer a backrow of Baird, Penny and Doris.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Reffell could cause trouble if we're a split second off those rucks

I don't like this approach. Doubt he's ever played a game there, and just shoe horning him into it seems a strange move to me. He hasn't been as effective on other occasions when selected at 6, a position he has much more familiarity with.

Who is going to be the one leading the defensive line in this scenario, because it doesn't seem a natural fit for any of the three proposed to be starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Shows what I know.

I dismissed it as fantasy.

Thats me told

You definitely feel for Scott Penny here.

Doris at 7 is a definite head scratcher. Reffell and Wiese love a poach and Doris is no slouch in the rucks. But you'd want a dedicated 7 normally.

Ah well. Let's hope he absolutely smashes them!!

Larmour out of the 23.

It's a bad message IMO to Scott Penny. Unusual selection, very un-Leinsterlike to shoehorn Doris in there at 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Strange enough selection there. He probably has played at some stage but I can’t recall seeing Doris at 7 before.

While it's an old adage that Larmour is weak under the high ball... it's not exactly a strength and Leicester will rain high balls down all night. I'd have JOB at 14 for that exact reason.

He can probably feel aggrieved not to get the 23 shirt though.

It's extremely unusual to have Penny benching here. The last time I can think of a situation like this was when the put Deegan at 7 for a few games. But that was way back in 2019 during both a 6 nations window and an injury crisis. He did a great job there tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Doris at 7, that must be a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I'm not worried about Prendergast leaving. I think he'll bide his time and give himself a couple of seasons to see if he can break our 23. We have potential issues elsewhere however.

Frawley is the break glass in an emergency 10, I don't think we see his future as an out-half at Leinster. It's curious, since the Ireland coaching team seem to think that he could do a job there and possibly has an international future there. Depending on where Frawley sees his own future positionally, it could be more likely that we see him move north or west as he's not being backed in what he may feel is his best position.

What happens with Tector if Prendergast gets promoted? He's also a young grand slam winning 10 who's looking to break into our team. I don't think he'd be too happy to see Prendergast leap-frog him to a senior deal. That would effectively demote him to fourth choice with Sexton out of the picture now. He's something of a forgotten man in this discussion.

I think either of those lads are more likely to make a move than Prendergast right now.

Yeah, that's a fair point on JOB over Larmour given how much Leicester kick the ball.

On Penny - to me it must surely come as a kick in the teeth. JVDF had started every single European game since Penny made his Leinster debut. But now the message will be, not only does he have to beat the World Player of the Year to get a start at 7, he also has to be better than possibly the form No 8 in world rugby (who isn't a 7).

I get you want your best players on the pitch, but I still find it a strange selection.

Yeah, I could absolutely see the logic in Tector moving on if Prendergast leap frogs him.

Glad for Molony that he has kept his place. Been in great form this season. Not a big fan of Doris at 7 as I'd rather an actual openside.

Leinster have offered Academy contracts to Paddy McCarthy, Gus McCarthy, Conor O'Tighearnaigh, Liam Molony, Fintan Gunne, Hugh Cooney, Henry McErlean and Andrew Osborne apparently.

George Hadden has gotten an offer for the Connacht Academy.

No surprises there.

Hadden looked a decent unit but tough decisions need to be made.

That's a particularly good crop of academy players for me. Good to see Molony made it as he had limited time in the shop window.

Any notable omissions? I don't see any glaring ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Doris at 7, jaysus

Presume Larmour is injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Don't think that's a fair critique of Larmour these days. I thought he did well last week in appalling conditions with the high ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's pretty harsh on Penny tbh, could lose him in the long run with selections like that.

Mike Brown starts at 15 for Leicester and Freddie Steward moves to the wing. They're going to kick the leather off the ball. I imagine that's why JOB has been brought in at 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It reporting Larmour isn't 100%

I have to say that I feel anyone who looks at the Leinster backline and thinks I can kick on that has already lost the game.

So many good kicking options and players good under the highball there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

On Penny, it’s a tough call but tough calls needed to be made. Would it have been fair for Conan to drop out? Or Baird? Doris is one of the best players in the world at the moment. He was always going to come back in when fit. It’s testimony to how well Conan is playing. That he is forcing the shift over.

No, I don't think so.

The other Leinster guys involved with the 20s were the two LHPs George Hadden and George Morris, Sam Berman (still U19), Oscar Cawley, Ronan Foxe (THP - didn't play in the 6N), Matthew Lynch (we're pretty well stacked at OH), Noah Sheridan (a back three player who didn't feature), James Nicholson (back three - didn't look an elite talent to me) and then Prendergast and Mangan who were already in there.

TBH - I wouldn't have been shocked if Liam Molony or Andrew Osborne missed out, but glad to see both made it.

It's a really good crop though IMO - you've good talent in the front row in the two McCarthy's (even though Paddy will take some refinement and coaching to discover what his position will be as a pro), a really super prospect in O'Tighearnaigh in the second row who has been a mainstay on back to back Grand Slam teams, a busy openside in Molony, a classy scrum half in Gunne, a really super footballer in the centres in Cooney and McErlean looks to have something special about him in the back three.

I think it's one of the better intakes in a couple of years tbh.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hadden to Connacht! I would sign him if I was Leinster. I reckon he's potentially a top level prop. I wonder why Ulster didn't make an offer? They could certainly use a loose head.

I'd offer Sam P a senior contract. Fcuk it, he is worth a development contract. If he goes to Ulster he's in every matchday squad. Tough decision for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Doris at 7! Not a fan of that. Penny has earned his chance.

• Advertisement

Advertisement