Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I wouldn't doubt his ability or your judgement but I think the bit of a backlash was to be expected.

It's a bold statement to say he should be starting with the way our forwards have done in the league this year... And with Cillian and Conroy to come in on top of that.

The reality is that while he may be highly rated, most of us haven't really seen him announce himself for Mayo yet. (Championship games Vs Sligo and Leitrim in 21 isn't really going to convince people.) He's obviously been unlucky with injuries but it's a big leap to see him as a starter at this moment in time. From the little I've seen, he is an exciting player but it's still hard to see him as a starter as it stands. He probably needs 2 or 3 games with decent gametime for us to see what you see.

I would question your not being suited as a sub point...if a player these days can't adjust his game to make an impact from the bench, then he mightn't be all that...? Not saying he's not, I just think it's a weak point in your case.

Conroy Carney Flynn

ROD AOS Carr/Cillian

It's a big stretch to see him getting ahead of those 7 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I heard Ronaldson and Ah ref suggesting he'd be better off as a sub coming in when people are tired

For your forwards I'd think Conroy and Carr are competing for the one spot, Cillian is a sub. If one was to move out to the HF line it would be ROD I think and he provides a lot of what McHale would provide

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great win lads. Winning finals is not something we've done well but when you're in it you win it and anyone who thinks otherwise are kidding themselves.

Probably our worst final performance aside from Tyrone but yet we won which is great to see.

Lots covered already and plenty of improvement for Sunday and going forward.

But in fairness to the mcstay management team that's two trophies won which isn't something we've done in a long time.

Could see ourselves and Galway back in an AI semi or final. Would be some atmosphere if that was to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Interesting seeing Bob and Sam included, for now at least.

Very young panel but a lot of fantastic potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Having a 38 man U20 panel is some going. No expense being spared at senior or underage levels by the looks of things...

• Advertisement

When you consider no Diarmuid Duffy or Charlie Bourke included there (no idea on injury/availability of either) no shortage of talent to fill the spots either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Can they play u20 and Senior or does that rule them out of senior?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Diarmuid Duffy is a strange omission alright. At a guess, he probably opted out to focus on leaving cert. That's fairly common at U20 level.

Playing in one doesn't rule them out of the other but they can only play in 1 per rolling 7 days (so basically rules them out for the Connacht Championship the way our games fall).

Kicked up a lot of commotion recently when Rory Gallagher kicked off about the 5 u20 Derry lads on the Senior panel. Didn't get the (interpretation of the) rule changed but they managed to shift a game to lessen the impact slightly.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/04/04/news/no_plans_to_revisit_u20_ruling_say_gaa-3183534/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Conroy is key to us beating the big teams. His pace is frightening for defenders and if he stays fit and gets game sharp then he has to start ahead of Carr or Mchale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I see where you are coming from with Tommy. The only downside to starting him is that he makes a bigger impact coming off the bench than Carr or McHale would at present.

I'd be starting him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

the upside is that you don't need an impact off the bench, and the game is already won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Not something you need worry about with mayo Game never won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Everyone being fit I think the front three are a nailed on Cillian, ROD and Conroy.

Anything else would be just messing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Make it 9 players who took part in last years minor final in the panel. That's quite a few players who are still u18 in the u20 panel. I know Ronan Clarke at least is still only 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

their the three best forwards in mayo. No question. Do you drop Aidan then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oh yeah, I forgot about him.

No, leave him there, move O'Donoghue or Conroy out to the half forward line.

If all were fit wouldn't it be a great problem to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I know the mark has been criticized, but I think Mayo could do a little more to utilise it a lot better through Ryan O'Donoghue. He is a great man to take a mark, and the main thing is that he has the capacity to score from his hands almost anywhere inside the 45. Most players will let the ball bounce in front of them when going for the ball. But O'Donoghue will dive towards the ball in order for it not to touch the ground and he can claim the mark. Ciaran Kilkenny is another man who does this, but he doesn't have the scoring ability of Ryan. To take the mark, it only needs a small 20 metre kick chest high. Mayo should be able to put a couple of plays together on the training pitch to allow Ryan to get a straightforward mark around the 30 metre line which for him would be a tap over. E.g, have another player block his marker to give Ryan free for a clean movement towards the ball. The crucial part is the quality of the kick - it is much easier to kick a low bouncing kick towards an oncoming forward; but the mark would require a tougher more precise kick. But the likes of paddy Durkan, Matthew Ruane, Conor Loftus are well capable of that.

Incidentally, I was looking up the Mark rules there, and there is something that I never I knew. If a player takes a mark but is too injured to take it, the ref will pass it to the closest teammate. I'm surprised this hasn't been exploited e.g. I have seen some players (defenders) get marks say around 35 yards out. The percentages may be quite low as to making that score. But they had their wits, had a look around to see if any scoring forwards in their vicinity and then go down with an "ankle injury", the ref should pass the mark to the scoring forward. I stand to be corrected on some of this, as it was just a quick look at the internet. THere was some issue where the person taking over the mark responsibility could not shoot direct, but I think that has been replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Open to correction but my understanding is that the replacement kicker cannot score from the mark in that situation

Yeah. A little less than a 1/3 u18, a bit more than a 1/3 (I think it's 16 but could be as low as 13) u20 and the rest, the other ~1/3, still u19.

That said, a couple of those u19s unfortunate not to be involved with the seniors this year and very likely to be next year (Morahan in particular was outstanding for Mitchells and I'm a big of Dawson too) and some outrageous talent among the u18s so wouldn't hold the age against them. Throw in lads like Kelly who looked comfortable in the FBD this year and Fallon that would have looked right at home and you'd hope they can put a nice run together.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

That references the kick-out mark though.

For the taker of the advanced mark to be changed I think basically the catcher needs to be subbed off with injury. Something similar happened in the Galway/Roscommon league final last year. Tierney (I think), caught an advanced mark but landed very heavily and was down injured for 3 or 4 minutes. Even as he stood up he looked like he needed a few minutes to get back into the game, but the ref took the ball from Shane Walsh and insisted Tierney took the kick.

Team named, McHugh in for Callinan, I wonder is that with an eye to the U-20s?

I saw this on twitter, struggling to name too many of them. Nestor is second in from the left front row, Ciaran MC third from left back row, is that Leydon from Ballina front right?

Spotted that one from (Dr.) Donal Hughes during the week. Blast from the past.

The 1992 Final so jumping over to the Mayo GAA Blog archives we can grab:

FINAL: Mayo 0-9 Roscommon 0-10 (MacHale Park, 26/7/1992). MAYO: D Hughes; N McMahon, K Morley, T Corcoran; J Casey, D Leyden, F Costello; C Deasy (0-3), D O’Loughlin; D McDonagh (0-1), D McHugh (0-1), D Tiernan; C MacDonald (0-1), D Byrne (0-2), D Nestor (0-1). Subs: E McDonagh for MacDonald, D Sheridan for Tiernan.

McDonald and Nestor you'd spot fairly quickly alright.

I knew I recognised Costello but until I spotted the name I couldn't think of who it was, sorry Fergal!

Even seeing the names listed I'm struggling to pick out which of them is John Casey. I'd have figured he's one I'd have picked out straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Back row, 2nd from the right maybe? Collar is turned up

Danny McHugh standing far left in back row.

McDonagh (Mayo Abbey) standing 4th from left.

Doc Hughes keeper.

David O'Loughlin (Kilmaine) standing far right back row.

Niall McMahon (Hollymount) sitting 3rd from left (?).

Fergal Costello (Ballinrobe) sitting 3rd from right.

Kenneth Morley (Hollymount?) sitting 2nd from right.

The rest have me stumped.

Had to cover the hair with my finger and squint at the screen to finally see it... but I'd say you're right.

Tony Corcoran - back second from left.

The D Byrne at full forward could be Diarmuid Byrne from Castlebar. The only possible resemblence in the photo would be the bleached hair dude.

I'm guessing the other midfielder (Deacy) is the tall guy with the curly hair mid-centre back row - purely cause of height.

I think the long hair ginger guy on the right is David Leydon, but definitely open to correction on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

If that isn’t Kenneth Mortimer holding the ball and sporting a natty headband then I don’t know who it is !

he missed that game through injury but I’m wondering was it a photo from the semi final maybe

Ohhh, you're probably spot on there.

The caption is "defends... today" so the picture would have been taken at least a few days prior. Well caught.

https://www.mayogaablog.com/archive-results/1992-2/ < could be any of the 3 games leading to the final that year. Glancing at the listed teams there wasn't huge changes in the starting team game to game bar Ken missing the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s definitely him

I remember that awful barnet but has forgot about the hair band :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Hey lads, I’ve two spare OAP/Student tickets for the match Sunday. Will sell both for 30 Euro. I can send the PDFs of the tickets digitally if it suits better.

They’re general admission so you can sit anywhere but the allocated seating in the stand. Never had any issues using the student ticket the times I’ve been stuck and I look like a grizzled veteran.. anyways, give me a bell if interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is there any toilets (or even match day potaloos) on the non-stand side of McHale Park?

Trying to sort out logistics for tomorrow with two kids 😬😵‍💫

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Toilet block inside the big gates at the end of MacHale road. (burger van and sweet shop too so could cost ya 😁)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There are also toilets under the TV stand on McHale road. Bring a few clothes pegs though... The smell of them would turn any stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

3 sets of toilets on that side, at both ends and in the middle near the TV cameras.

The ones down near the Albany end are probably the best.No portaloos,we're a first world country unlike Hyde Park!

It is an indictment of where we are, that the provision of decent toilets are an afterthought with many grounds.

To be expected though, considering the high amount of buffoons who will piss all over toilet seats in pubs, restaurants and everywhere else without a single ounce of consideration for anyone else. Animals are cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Whats the story with Hennelly? Is he injured?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Bad night for Andy Moran 🙈🙈🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sh1te talk (not unusual for the poster in question)

Robbie isn't in the squad today,he's on standby with Aiden Orme,Ethan Gibbons and Ruairi Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

NY were always going to get one over on someone eventually, with Leitrim having traveled over on Thursday and starting a match at the equivalent of 11pm their own time that would have been a factor in itself.

Yea it was a wind up. Lol.

Did you sort a date for the wedding hbc08. Realistically, it won't make any difference whether a Saturday or a friday, as outside of immediate family, I'd say you will have very few that will attend 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Be great if there was only a way to keep the camera lens dry …..

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Mayo need to press far higher here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Playing into their hands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement