Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

well, Healy is gone.

Theres Crowley and Carberry and one of them will be with ireland for the foreseeable.

After that youre into the academy for Tony Butler (Rory S is not a serviceable out half)

So really, flannery could have found himself in the 22 jersey quite a lot in the coming season if he had have gone. And with this in view, the senior squad needs another outhalf.

Id would imagine the reason Flannery is staying Ulster as Madigan probably going to retire so Flannery will be eyeing up Billy Bs 10 jersey should he not renew in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Butler in year 3 of the academy will likely start getting game time next year. Dylan Hicks will likely come in as a year 1 at out half too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,265 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's great for Flannery, after very little game time with Ulster he manages to get a 3 year deal there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

So, essentially, we still need to replace our departing 3rd choice 10.

Exactly my point. Theres a dearth of outhalfs in Munster now with Healy leaving.

every club needs at least 3 senior outhalves to traverse the season, especially with players in ireland camp. Does munster really want to be reliant on carbery, with his injury profile, and a very green Butler (8 senior minutes to his name) to guide them through the URC while Crowley is at RWC and 6Ns?

with sexton leaving, theres even a possibility that Carbery AND Crowley could be in some ireland camps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The real issue is that if the 3rd choice 10 is an academy option Crowley won't be able to paper over the shortage in the centres.

Just yesterday people were saying that Crowley would fix the shortage at centre and Flannery would get game time as a 10 cover.

Munster need another centre.

your 3rd choice internationally capped outhalf, yes.

thats exactly what i was referring to when i said the cat was amongst the pigeons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And none of this is news to Munster. If it was something that suddenly came up out of the blue then you may have been correct, but Munster have known all of this for months.

So Munster will need to recruit. Which they’ll have been aware of for a fair while.

I think we’ve the lowest number of NIQ players of all the Provinces at present, and with Carbery and Crowley in the Ireland reckoning, I think it’s possible we could see an experienced cover signing. (A bit like Alby Mathewson at 9 a few seasons ago, say).

And to be fair to Carbery, he’s been pretty robust since coming back from injury

Ultimately, Flannery was a guy who we were comfortable leaving go previously.

“cat amongst the pigeons” seems very much overstating it.

Munster were reportedly closing in on resigning Jake Flannery to replace Ben Healy. Murray Kinsella reported on it 3 months ago.

The42 understands that Munster are also close to re-signing Jake Flannery from Ulster. The Tipp man moved from his native province up to Belfast last summer but has had limited opportunity, so it looks like he is now set for a return home. Having only made six Munster appearances the first time around, the versatile 23-year-old will hope for more chances under the new coaching team.

i dont see why it would be reported as such if plans were not being considered to bring Flannery back to Munster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Maybe there were plans to do so, but that was three months ago. Cat amongst the pigeons suggests that this is out of the blue. It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

"I don't see why it would be reported as such if plans were not being considered to bring Flannery back to Munster"

Oh Sweet Summer Child, you have a lot of learning to do... :P

Agents my friend. Agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Wouldn't be surprised if Tector ends up moving down south, maybe on a season-long loan

I’m off to start a Prendergast rumour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It would look like copying giving the Ulster rumours.

and do you not think agents were sounding out munster for a possible move??

here we already have:

healy announced hes moving to edinburgh 3 months ago

at the same time its reported that munster are closing in on re-signing Flannery. i respect Murray Kinsella a a journalist and i would hope he would have a secondary source of a piece of news than an agents rumour.

3 months later flannery is announced as extending contract for 3 years with ulster

so its very possible sometime over the last 3 months Flannery chose to stay at ulster, leaving munster to still be in the market for another senior out half.

so while some of ye are saying "nothing new here" well there is, there one option off the table.

Flannery has 3 starts at 10 in his pro career.

I think the cats having a nap, tbh.

and in that 3 months the rumour that Flannery was returning was getting colder and colder and colder and colder

Hardly cat among the pigeons stuff to hear it confirmed today

yeah cos all of you lads had already confirmed it here already.. oh wait??

so maybe youd all like to post here as to who exactly is coming in to replace healy? seeing as youre all in the know

I’ve posted here a number of times that, while Flannery was rumoured, nothing was confirmed.

And you’ll find it it was a Leinster fan yesterday saying he was moving.

This is the Munster thread, Syd, posters are you going to have positive outlook on all things Munster. If you want to continue posting here, your tone needs to change.

• Advertisement

of course nothing was confirmed, the confirmation came today.

ah listen ye lads are so precious on this thread that you think any comment at all on munster is some kind of an insult. Its not anything insulting to say that a player who was rumoured to be joining munster isnt joining and that leaves munster with more work to do.

if you think that is an insult then theres no helping ye.

Mod: But you didn’t say “more work to do” and went on to be sarcastic and condescending. Final warning on this.

"sarcastic and condescending" ??

there is absolutely no post from me in here today that is either sarcastic or condescending and if you think there is then you need to check your moderation gauge! A piece of advice for you, dont try to gauge tone from text. action me if i use unacceptable words or phrases, but dont try to assume what 'tone' im posting in as you are way off the mark.

why is it in the munster thread alone that any piece of conversation by someone who supports another province is treated with such paranoia and preciousness?? I posted a piece of news, with a perfectly reasonable, commonly used, idiom ... but yet the pile on comes, and the threats are made?

Ah stop, there's no need to be snarky

It got mentioned a few months ago and hardly a squeak since then.

Look, if you want to believe this all changed suddenly this week then work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,073 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

By my calculations, assuming we lose both matches in South Africa we need the following in R17 and R18 for a top 7 finish and Champions Cup qualification

R17

Benetton to beat Sharks (Although Sharks beating Benetton wouldn't be too bad as both are only 1 point apart in the table)

Zebre to beat Bulls

Cardiff to beat Connacht

R18

Stormers to beat Benneton

Leinster to beat Bulls

Glasgow to Beat Connacht

Ospreys beating Cardiff if Cardiff beat Connacht

Of course 2 wins would leave us comfortably in 5th and possibly even 4th or 3rd

It was hardly ever unreasonable that he (Flannery) might have returned - when he left the sense was it was because was #4 in a queue, with two guys broadly the same age directly ahead of him. He left on a one year deal, hadn't gotten on well for Ulster and had barely featured. Simultaneously, Munster were losing Ben Healy, so I don't think anyone would have thought it strange if he'd returned, and it was being reported by credible sources like Murray Kinsella.

It looks like Ian Madigan has probably made the decision to retire / leave Ulster in interim and that may have shifted Flannery's thinking.

I don’t think it’d have been strange if he returned but I also don’t think it’s a massive issue that he hasn’t.

He’s used the situation to get himself a 3 year deal. Good for him.

Nah, it's not an issue in that he doesn't look to be a difference making player, and if Munster can get approval to bring in an experienced NIQ OH they're definitely better off than trying to see if they can get more out of Flannery than they did previously or than Ulster did.

But the 3 year deal Ulster gave him definitely points to him having other options, so I doubt it's unreasonable to suggest Munster made an approach to him.

• Advertisement

But I don’t think anyone’s saying Munster didn’t make an approach to him.

Advertisement