Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not a single thanks. I'm wasted on you lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Look at the sky in fairness. Gave up relying on forecasts ages ago. It's not too hard to tell when it's going to oiss down

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When I left home, it looked lovely. An hour later it was teeming down. Forecast had it down for a bit of a damp spot

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Picked up this Rockbros bike rack during the week..held on by suction so slightly terrifying at first but it's pretty handy if anyone Is in the market for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just be careful where you place those suction cups. Roof skins are not structural so are quite weak - it wouldn't take much put a dent in the skin.

I wouldn't be a fan of that at all, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

+1. Depends on the car I guess I used one on a Rental (Opal I think) a few years ago. Suction was amazing but the roof skin was surprisingly flexible causing a lot of heart stopping noise.

Used the same rack on a Skoda to hold a spare bike while driving as a support car at the Tour of Omagh and it was super solid, despite some terrible roads and even worse driving from me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Yeah I had the scary noises on the first test spin but I've repositioned it now so must of the weight is on the top of the hatchback.. fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've a seasucker a few years. Absolutely zero issues with flex-caused damage to the roof skin on any car I've used it on. Front mount as close to the windscreen as possible and the rear wheel mount to the side. However ... not paying attention and dropping a bike on the roof ... I've definitely damaged a roof doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think once you keep them towards the side of the roof close to the windscreen there's a lot of structural integrity there, it's more the middle of the roof that's flexy I believe.

I'd be too scared to use them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colleague in germany has taken up cycling again recently; i'd go spare if i was him though. his ride he uploaded yesterday is fairly typical; 65km with 46m of climbing. i'd find that deathly dull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You’d be surprised how common that is, I’ve gone for spins with a couple lads from work and they’ll try and pick absolutely pan flat loops if they can, even if it’s only 30-40km the suggestion of throwing in a hill is scoffed at

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as someone who does 99% of his cycling in Wicklow, I found Meath disconcertingly flat.

i've my own internal criteria for what i consider flat or hilly. if the elevation is less than 0.5% of the length, it's flat. above 0.5%, starting to get a little hilly. 1% hilly, 2% and above starts getting tough.

easy enough to calculate; e.g. 500m climbing in 50km is 1%. i've just been on a 37km spin (well, 36.99km - should have stayed out for another 10m) with 150m of climbing, so that's flat.

I generally consider anything under 10m per km as fairly flat, and almost impossible to achieve in Wicklow unless you're just going up and down the coast road (even there, you'd never get down to 5m per km).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Having done quiet a few spins in the Netherlands, some with 10m (a bridge that went up instead of digging the canal lower 🙄) I can safely say that cross and head winds are an adequate substitute for elevation. Especially when you can put an equivalent effort to just go faster.

That said, I do prefer cycling down the south where there are actually hills.

give me a hill rather than a head wind any day.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not this time, given the use of mobile phone while driving.

I am looking forward to the opportunity of using that particular line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was reading this old post about how pedelecs are not allowed use cyclelanes.

He has other posts in other threads showing showing the laws.

Is this still the case? has anybody heard of anybody being done for it (legit pedelecs with the 25km/h limit). If it is still the case I presume it will be the same for escooters, so on say the N11 escooters will be in the bus lanes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There are exemptions for pedelecs and as such they are bicycles so long as any assistance is only provided when the rider is also providing power. Long story short, evokes that are power assist are allowed use bike lanes. Presumably if it ever gets written into legislation, they will do similar for escooters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Are mobility scooters technically illegal then I wonder, or is there some sort of exclusion for them if they’re medically required

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

probikekit going ?. shame used them a few times over the years

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/major-online-uk-cycling-retailer-to-close-according-to-reports

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm not sure about here but in the UK there is definitely an exception for them. I wonder is that why the gardai stopped using segways as someone realised after the fact that they were not road legal.

I looked it up before and there was a speed limit, and I think I saw some that were on sale which would be illegal to use on footpaths here.

I found his post with the laws, which specifically exclude wheelchairs but not bikes. But maybe pedelecs are not MPVs while wheelchairs are?

The only mention I see of pedelecs is in the finance act for the work scheme and does seem to suggest pedelecs are considered "pedal cycles"

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/act/25/enacted/en/print.html

‘ pedal cycle ’ means—

(i) a bicycle or tricycle which is intended or adapted for propulsion solely by the physical exertions of a person or persons seated thereon, or

(ii) a pedelec,

but does not include a moped or a scooter;

‘ pedelec ’ means a bicycle or tricycle which is equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kilowatts, of which output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 kilometres per hour, or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling;

EDIT I did find more mention, by searching for "maximum continuous rated power"

3.  (1)  Subject to paragraph (2), these Regulations apply to new vehicles.

(2)  These Regulations do not apply to—

(c)  cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling,

warning for any apple users - a colleague was telling me that he updated to iOS 16.4.1 on his phone and it broke strava (among other apps); no update available to fix yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anything to do with their increasingly stringent privacy concerns

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Big difference between hills and cross winds is if, like myself, you're carrying a few extra pounds. Nothing like the feeling you're about to barf up a lung half way up Stocking Lane to gently remind you to cut back on the pints ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Not sure, we went for a lovely spin here (nl) on Sunday and had a 20km hill to climb (upstream) and into a sustained unsheltered headwind. Needed another few beers and cheese and chocolate when we got home.

I heard zero complaints on the way out mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Have a listen to the well researched but very long podcast below and you might have another reason to cut back on the pints

https://hubermanlab.com/what-alcohol-does-to-your-body-brain-health/

"Here, we show that the negative associations between alcohol intake and brain macrostructure and microstructure are already apparent in individuals consuming an average of only one to two daily alcohol units, and become stronger as alcohol intake increases."

from

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-28735-5

Another standout for me was the effect of low levels of alcohol consumption on resting cortisol; so while a drink will relax you in the short term even low levels leads to increased stress in the medium to long terms.

I heard an oncologist on the radio a month or so back, say similar and thought she was fear mongering but it seems not.

I wish it could be just the advice of puritans "who live with the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be having a good time" but I'm afraid not

Advertisement