Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile reception booster

Options
  • 29-03-2023 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Where I live I have a tiny bit of reception if I put my phone and the window of the sitting room. Some days I'll get two bars.

Any recommendations for a booster please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Stelladoradus, Waterford based manufacturer of mobile repeaters.

Novatel in Buttevant Co. Cork, are their Ireland retailers.

Price varies, per bands required.

Do you require calls only or calls plus data?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

I can't send SMS, everything else is covered by wifi as far as I can see.

Single band, Band 8/900 MHz repeater, will cover calls, texts, etc.

One of my brothers has that repeater running for a few years now. I have a 5 band repeater since last summer and another brother has a 2 band repeater for maybe two years. No complaints to date.

Single Band Mobile Phone Signal Repeater Home Kit | Novatel Communications Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

You probably are using Vodafone for mobile? Vodafone WiFi calling does not support SMS. Eir's WiFi Calling supports SMS as well as voice, and also works when abroad, avoiding roaming charges. Repeaters are a waste of money. Just use WiFi calling, and you create your own indoor coverage without having to buy extra boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

"I can't send SMS, everything else is covered by wifi as far as I can see."

Webtext would solve that problem, depending on which network you're with.

Is it just sending or is receiving also a problem?

• Advertisement

There is good as no reception, only if I put phone on window sill and wait and might get 2 bars might get none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is reception similarly bad on all networks and each of 2G, 3G, 4G? Same indoors / outdoors?

As I suspected, you are using Vodafone. They don't support SMS over WiFi. Port over to eir or GoMo - they support Voice & SMS over WiFi calling, so you will be guaranteed coverage.

The other suggestion of using Webtext will only work for outgoing SMS. Incoming SMS are more important, because you never know when they are going to arrive. At least with outgoing you could choose to go to the right window to send your text.

I just got into contract with Vodafone as thought new phone would solve issue. Now paying for service I'm not getting.

Low signal outside will generally mean even lower signal inside. A new phone won't boost the signal. Only a repeater can do this.

• Advertisement

If Vodafone can't give you enough signal to make calls and texts at home, you probably have sufficient grounds to get out of your contract, especially if they led you to believe that a new handset was going to make things better. A new handset was never going to fix their coverage. Don't just default on your payments - make a formal complaint on the grounds of insufficient coverage. It's effectively a breach-of-contract on their side. You could also offer to buy out the handset - but make sure to get it unlocked before you port away from Vodafone, and also make sure that it is a model that supports WiFi Calling on Eir's network, if you are porting. Probably still a much cheaper and better solution that wasting money on a repeater.

They "will" call me TUE. Thanks, are you with eir.

Advertisement