Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sandy Quarter

Options
  • 06-04-2023 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Did anybody see this in the Galway Advertiser today? It's very hard to make out at what angle the computer aided picture is meant to be from. It looks feckin enormous though!

Comments

The LDA commissioned the The Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland (RIAI) way back to come up with design proposals.

They announced the completed designs back in 2020. There were a few different types of layouts proposed back then

This is the scope of the site in question

There's a website with the draft spatial plan for the area

There are videos, drawings etc on the site. Most stuff is on the resources page

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I must say, the 25+ trees on BnT gave me a good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Thanks a million for the spatial plan there. I walk up the Sandy Road quite often and was wondering where exactly they were planning this. Thanks for the info.

From the documentation some other tidbits

• heating is to be district level
    • When Joyce RAB is removed, the Sandy rd arm will be closed. A new "Sandy Street" will be created joining on to the Sean Mulvoy Rd at a signalised junction
    • 333 total parking spaces proposed which, given its central location, seems excessive
    • 1618 total bike parking spaces plus 16 cargo bike spaces
    • Will include provision for car-sharing e.g. GoCar in a similar manner to the recent Westwood development
    • There's several mentions of a Terryland greenway and boardwalks over the Terryland river

Its currently at the first of 6 stages before planning application

It should be noted that this was originally supposed to go into planning in 2022. Based on the stages outlined above, I can't see this going in for approval until 2025

I updated the map pic above as I'd missed the bit on the right. The pic above is taken directly from the documentation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

great to see this being progressed, I really hope there's a sincere maintenance plan for this, if it's left to the council to maintain it.... not withstanding the effort of the crews, the town is looking more & more ragged. I've emailed them with my thoughts so not just blabbing on here.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Oooh so they are planning on taking out that roundabout. Yikes! That's going to get messy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They have plenty of practice at this stage, but it will be one of the easiest ones to convert based on road layout and the size of said roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Considering that all traffic heading N, E, S, exiting town must cross one of three points on the 955 metre line. Is this development a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

YES. We need more homes everywhere in the City. We also need to drastically reduce this "out of town" car traffic from getting into the City. More bus and rail please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

3 = ESB depot

3 = ESB sub-station?

4 = former VEC/ETB school

What is 2?

Is Galway Bay FM = 5?

Is 1 = waste ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

4 = Galway diocese.

Hmmm, so maybe the ETB were a tenant, rather than the owner?

I wonder what is 2 used as?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

Wonder will it be built by the end of the decade.

It absolutely could be done and could be done by 2025/2026 given the right funding and priority but there's a load of reasons why its unlikely to be done before the end of this decade

• lack of will
    • lack of funding
    • lack of resources (GCC planning, ABP, courts etc)

Maybe with this being done by the LDA it might see things sped up, who knows

Just a reminder, public consultation for this is open until May 12th

Details available below

https://thesandyquarter.ie/?page_id=36

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

That's why I posed the question. I'll be impressed if construction has started within 4 years. There's been so few substantial housing developments around the city in the past 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I think 2 is a business premises that looks like its used as a storage area etc. Entrance is down the laneway that connects to the walkway by the river or whatever that is. Been walking past it for a while when coming from Liosburn heading to Simon shop or Terryland fruit & veg. Took me a moment to make sense of the aerial photo.

So gate in is towards the back of Galway Bay FM. Men's shed on Sandy Rd is to the top of the straight line shed roof area, so is that going to need to find a new home?

Not sure what else in taht area is still in use. Do know there is a Galway City Partnership space in that old factory/workshop area, not sure to what extent it gets used discovered it when walking down Sandy Rd a couple of years back.

Didn't read the Advertiser article so need to remedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Having read it I wonder if things like the men's shed and the GCP space are things that are factored into the design.

Is the paved area in the picture the existing road with kerbs memorialised in the design

& are there 2 estates whose rent is going to be affected by this new development. Also Terryland Fruit & veg etc that are right next to it.

Advertisement