Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

In terms of per capita scale EP is much bigger than Glastonbury. The U.K. has a population thirteen times the size of ours yet Glasto is only twice the size.

For such a small country we’re lucky to have a respected festival that attracts international acts of calibre and has a wide and varied range of entertainment on site. Don’t diss EP, it’s by far the most significant festival that’s ever taken place on this island.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Yer lookin for a fantasy festival in your head I think. Have a look at Forest Fest for an old mans festival with "rock'n'roll" bands and no fancy dancey stuff.

EP is no country for old men (cept those of us who like to pretend that we're not).

Same with Arctic Monkeys. Headlined after their debut. The Killers were also offered that slot after their first but declined, waiting til they were ready for it.

Last year had enough acts for me, barely, but enough. The headliners for 2023 are the worst collection I’ve seen in EP’s history yet I’m hopeful of a decent weekend particularly since IDLES and Amyl have already been announced.

I spend little time at the Pyramid when at Glasto and that’s fine. I’m also resigned to not liking a lot of main stage acts at EP and am happy for those who enjoy them. Adds to the atmosphere. All I ask is for a dozen good indie-ish artists and a few up and coming bands. EP has never let me down on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Mucker46

• Advertisement

Two of the three headliners in 2022 were indie acts, Tame Impala and the Arctic Monkeys. People are entitled to have a reasonable expectation of similar and for some (not me) The Killers fit that bill. I’m just happy if artists of that ilk have the odd slot on the main stage or are headlining the EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Right lads, to combat the life-sucking vacuum that is Irish festival announcements at the moment, give us your favourite gigs by newly discovered artists in your EP years. We've done our best gigs many times. What about those artists you knew nothing about before they appeared on the poster? The no expectation slots that blew you away? I'm sure lots of you are like me in that those gigs are the ones you look back on most fondly. I freely admit my list includes a number of acts I SHOULD have known about before but these are all people I came to fresh and that I LOVED. Benjamin Clementine, Nick Mulvey, Alvvays, Animal Collective, La Femme, Whitney, Margaret Glaspy, Band of Horses, Public Service Broadcasting, Hak Baker, Stella Donnelly, Courtney Barnett, Sports Team, White Reaper, Bodega, Car Seat Headrest. Oh, and Murder Capital, who excited the **** out of me in OV and even more so in Jerry Fish later that weekend. Some very happy memories there. I feel better already. Go on, give it a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The LCD Soundsystem at EP 2005, festival was my first and I'd no idea who the LCD Soundsystem were, but after the gig was absolutely blown away.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Sereena-Maneesh, Norwegian shoegaze band circa 2006/2007, wandered into the Little Big Tent to avoid rain and they were exceptional.

Palma Violets circa 2012/2013, had listened to a couple of tracks but they were much more impressive than expected. What went wrong with them?

Tapes ‘n Tapes, circa 2009, brilliant Minneapolis indie band.

Several more will come to mind but I’ve usually put in a bit of time on research before the fest.

Ah no, fairs fair. I had had a quick listen to some of those before kick off. We all love the bit of homework. If I confined it to acts I'd never gone near in any way, I'd be struggling. I'm including acts that were new to me when they were announced.

• Advertisement

Sports Team and Working Men’s Club were others. And by your criteria Arcade Fire 2005, album released at the end of Feb just before the announcement.

Swords 2012 vancouver sleep clinic, wolf alice and the Orwells 2014 pillow Queen's and la femme 2018 yonaka 2019 to name a few. The joy of the undercard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

La Femme could not have been more French if they'd tried, turned up late, faffed about, smoked a fag and then started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Would love to see La Femme back again. Their records are great. I think I was at Dua Lipa when they played in '18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Avett Brothers were a good one for me. Knew nothing about them before EP 2016 and put on a great show....outshining the Shins who were on right after them.

I just wish they would at least give a date for the launch, I don't mind the names launching yet but just some news about the actual date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Sure? I thought it was the 32nd of May

Launch part is 10th of September. New marketing idea to announce line up after the weekend

• Advertisement

I'm delighted to see you display some signs of humour, Fanirish. In the absence of any actual news, I'm going to chalk that up as a positive development.

Bodhran ppanning a oceans eleven heist of Melvin Benn’s laptop to uncover the line up

Did anyone go to the Chris Cunningham gig in I think to 2009 edition, never caught it myself, just wondering what the gig was like. I heard he was late starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I was at Sereena Maneesh too. I remember sound issues. Or not being loud enough. One or the other. Had seen them in Crawdaddy previously so they were one i was looking forward to.

I genuinely can't think of anyone that caught me unawares. Well, Groove Armada perhaps, in that i hadn't realised so many of the tunes were theirs. I was impressed.

Oh, and Deerhoof. Had heard them but never seen them. Myself and a mate caught them in between JAMC and The Chemical Brothers. Fantastic. Next time, we saw them in Whelans and they bored the pants off us.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Checked the year for SM and it was 2007 in the Foggy Notions tent, a pretty tiny one with circa 500 capacity. Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip were in there the same day, very good, and I also got to see a seriously cranky Dave Couse.

On other stages that day were The Fall, Beastie Boys, Terry Hall, Primal Scream, Sonic Youth, Iggy & the Stooges and several more. How spoiled we were.

I was there. He was late. Decent visuals.

(Ref Chris Cunningham)

Anyone catch JJ72 there, 2005/2006? Hilary gone and they were listless and you knew they were nearly over. Been listening to them all evening, a real grá for that band.

For me their first album is not only one of the greatest Irish debuts but amongst the greatest debuts of all. We’ve got A House back, get those guys next.

Amazing. Several acts it’s not possible to ever see again - Sonic Youth, Stooges & Beastie Boys.

Also had The Good, The Bad & The Queen, Bjork, The Jesus & Mary Chain, LCD Soundsystem, Soul II Soul, Undertones, Polyphonic Spree, etc. Oh for a lineup like that now.

Having said that I think that EP is a better festival now than then, way more stuff on and brilliant installations. They’re also pushing young Irish bands heavily and that surely has helped many an act over the past decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Thanks for confirming my memory is still intact. Had it in my head that it was Foggy Notions 2007 as my recollection was Sereena Maneesh ending and then heading over to the main stage for the triple whammy of Sonic Youth, The Stooges and Primal Scream 😁😎

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Advertisement