Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants that are poisonous to animals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Using a longer grazing rotation this year with beef stock. Very interesting what they prefer to the grass. Red Sorrell, nettle tips and briar tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ivy is great for them, always give it to cows off colour here. It's something which they might actually pick at when they're turning their nose up at grass or hay/silage.
    I always think it's the stocks way of deworming themselves.
    Ones go on about tannins in multi species swards being a dewormer.
    Well there's definitely tannins in ivy.

Not that it should be force fed. But if they have the choice they'll know themselves.

Relatives here would give ivy to sick sheep to get them eating again.

Some young lad or lass should do a young scientist project on the anthelmintic qualities of common ivy on bovines in Ireland on ryegrass pasture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Water John wrote: »
    Using a longer grazing rotation this year with beef stock. Very interesting what they prefer to the grass. Red Sorrell, nettle tips and briar tips.

You dipping the toe into mob grazing Walter?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

What's the verdict?

I've some Galloway cattle that will be outwintered and may have some laurel in hedges.

I'm creating some shelterbelts for cattle and just bought some laurel to plant in it, I've already planted whitethorn but was looking for something to provide shelter over Winter.

This winter will be the first for outwintering cattle I'm now worried they'll graze the Laurel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I would avoid Laurel at all costs - a menace to livestock and a serious invasive species. Needs 2b banned from public sale like Rhodendron etc.

• Advertisement

Is there real danger to cattle from Laurel?

Understood but do cattle regularly eat Laurel?

Laurel is widespread but I haven't heard of any other incidents

Any alternatives to Laurel for winter shelterbelt?

Fast growing evergreen nontoxic

Post edited by n1st on

I'm swapping the Laurel for Spruce, the lesser of 2 evils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Go with Privet - native, basically evegreen and good for pollinators etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Same as a lot of things, the toxicity of Laurel is dose-dependent. There can be cases of poisoning but it's rare enough to be a talking point when it does occur. Even Ragwort poisoning is rare, and Laurel poisoning is a lot more rare.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Holly is excellent feeding for both cattle and sheep.

I was cutting back trees in February out of a digger bucket and my sheep were following us around stripping it in minutes.

Old knowlege: A few years back, ewe lambs I was feeding were barking holly trees up around the oul lad's house and he went mad over it "You might need them trees a bad spring" - ie cut them down to feed cows when the hay ran out.. - he was thinking of 50 to 80 years ago when ration wasn't available nor money to buy it.

They were tough people.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Advertisement