Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I like 6 mile alternations: 6x800 @ 10k effort with 800 'recovery' @ marathon pace (or even steady). Quite race specific I think.

Race week I wouldn't be doing much other than some light speed work e.g. 6 X 400 at slightly faster than 10k goal pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

The race is actually on a Wednesday - so would you do a session next week - would Thursday be too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

3x2 miles at 10k pace off 90 secs to 2 minute recovery. One of McMillan's final sessions. Good predictor if paces are consistent across the reps.

He also recommends a 5k TT, then double and add a minute. I think if you're over 20 mins for the 5k, add 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

So 6 days before the race? You could certainly do a session but there's no point in doing anything too intense as you're not going to gain any fitness in that short a time. I think the consensus is that during race week it's best to do a short, sharp session focused on leg speed. 6x400 with plenty of recovery would be perfect.

I wouldn't recommend doing the alternations or the sessions suggested by @Wottle@Wottle during race week. They're all testing workouts that would take several days to fully recover from.

Thanks - 2 mins seems a bit OTT to add - a strange metric in comparison to other calculator. I was going to do a watered down version of Mc Millan but I am concerned if I do next week ( a week out from race ) it won’t really have any real benefit apart from making me tired ?

• Advertisement

Thanks - we seemed to overlap there . I had planned to do some Mc millan type workouts in the last few weeks but under the weather so it didn’t work out . Your session sounds interesting - maybe I could do this tomorrow and sone 400s next week .

Definitely wouldn't do those sessions race week, this is the week to pick one. It'll give some training stimulus but more importantly will guide race day pace.

Just plugged 20 mins into the calculator and it gives 41'40, so not really overkill doubling and adding 2 minutes.

Yeah you’re right my maths is just bad today . I’m trying to work backwards from a half time so I’m hoping I’m better at shorter lol . I might do Mac millan light tomorrow . Thanks

Might help with watering down

WEEK KEY WORKOUT & NOTES

1. 6 x 1M 3-minute jog between 1M repeats

2. 10-12 x 400m Run the 400m repeats at 5K race pace; 200m jog between

3. 2M + 4 x 1M 5-minute jog between 2M repeats, 3-minute jog between 1M repeats

4. 3M Tempo Run or 5K Race One simple prediction method is to double your 5K time & add 1 minute to get your 10K time. Are you on track for your goal 10K time?

5. 2 x 2M + 2 x 1M 5-minute jog between 2M repeats, 3-minute jog between 1M repeats

6. 20-24 x 200m Run the 200m repeats at 5K race pace; 200m jog between

7. 3 x 2M Run the 200m repeats at 5K race pace; 200m jog between

8. RACE: 10K

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There are no shortcuts, but enjoy the run and it may motivate you to come back.

Edit: On reflection, the classic 'half the distance at race pace' session is a good confidence builder that I've used once or twice when not sure how to treat a race I might not have specifically trained for (and I'm not au fait with your own particular training history).

So... 5k at 10k pace about a week out might give you a good idea of where you are. Or if you prefer, more volume with a bit of recovery - say 3 x 2k or 4 x 1 mile with appropriate recovery (50-75% of the interval time maybe)

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

A few easy runs with 5 or 6 strides at the end of them would suffice imo.

You won’t gain anything from doing a session this close to the race, unless you want to do one as a confidence booster which is no harm either I suppose.

A confidence booster I suppose is what I was after - I’m just out of half training and I think I should have the fitness to pb - I had to planned to do 10k specific training in the last three weeks but had a chest infection so took it handy

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

Just be careful that you don’t overdo it.

I’d still only do the strides as I suggested but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I realized this week that I'm just under 16 weeks out from my half marathon.

I have been running minimum 3 times a week for the last 8 weeks, steadily increasing my weekly kms, but I haven't really been following a plan. So decided to do one with my Garmin watch

My issue is that some of the runs it's giving me seems a bit too easy? For example Saturday is my long run day and it's saying to:

• Warm up for 5 mins
    • Run slow for 30 mins
    • Optional additional 10 mins slow run if your feeling good
    • Warm down for 5 mins

My typical long run would typically be in the 60-75 mins kind of category.

Next Tuesday it's giving me:

• 5 min warm up
    • 10 min easy run
    • Optional 10 mins
    • 5 min cool down

Thursday is the same as Tuesday.

Prior to this if I was doing an easy midweek run I'd probably do 7k, which is about 45 mins of running for me at an easy pace

This routine only has activities on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, all other days are rest.

If I run these at an "easy" pace, this feels a bit easy for going for me. I'm not sure if I just keep running with these sessions will the auto adjusting aspect of it figure that out , or I'm not sure if I can extend it even.

Anyone experience similar? I don't want to just blindly follow the watch. I felt like what I was doing was prior to this was completely manageable, so it seems these kind of runs seems like a step backwards.

Today it did get me to do stride intervals, and I can completely see the value in them, so its not all bad or anything!

EDIT: OK I found my mistake. I told Garmin I didn't have a time in mind for finishing the race (because I don't really!) And that explains the easier load. I've entered a finishing time and it had increased the intensity a good bit!

Post edited by witnessmenow on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

You mentioned you've been running consistently for the last 8 weeks, what were you doing before that?

The reason I ask is I can't recommend highly enough the boards Grads 10k - Half plan. There's a link to it towards the bottom of this OP https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058271128/boards-dcm22-graduates-thread-a-deeper-understanding/p1

It does require you having a decent base of fitness however. I would be confident in telling you it will yeild a far better return than the Garmin plan.

I used it recently for Bohermeen half.

I had ran a really big PB back in September at the Dublin half. Was blown away by my result back then.

I knocked over 4 mins off that in Bohermeen thanks to that plan.

It's a top plan.

Not a lot before hand unfortunately, maybe 1 or two times a week from Christmas to the start of February, and basically nothing for the 3 months before that.

Before that was a couch to 5k, where I was the definition of "couch" having done next to nothing over covid. I'm also quite a bit over weight, I'm 5'9 and at the start of February at 103.5kg, I'm 94.5kg today though so things going in the right direction.

Cheers for the suggestion, I think I'm going to stick with the Garmin one this time around, now that I set the time it looks like the right intensity for my current level.

As I was saying in the earlier post, I don't really have any goals for a finishing time for the half marathon, but I just want to keep pushing myself. My race is against last week me! And pushing myself isn't bursting a gut to run as fast as I can or anything, it's just to build up the amount of KM I can comfortably do.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Does Dunshaughlin 10k sell out early ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It certainly was pre-covid, can't remember if it sold out in advance last year but I'd assume it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I've just signed up and I'm number 567.

Not sure what it's capped at but hopefully that's some help.

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for run socks?

I've a couple of pairs from Aldi I think (must be 8 years old, but I didn't run for 6 or 7 of them) that have some padding on the foot and heal that seems to work pretty well for me

I've a couple of pairs from decathlon that have very little padding that I have been using for the last few months, usually without issue, but a couple of times I've almost got friction burns/cuts on the top of my toes and both times I did I was wearing these socks, so I'm thinking maybe they are the issue.

Now saying that, I've worn them plenty of times and not had issues too, so maybe it's not them, but two times has me suspicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

If you like the padding then Feetures and Hilly socks are good. I also love Steigen socks though. You can buy them online. One size and stretchy. They are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭macchoille

kinda rural myself. I’ll often do a warm up from the house and start some distance away, depending on route I’ll pass the house before finishing. I’ll often change the start and end points and direction a bit too. My routes take me past other houses and into the outskirts of town too so I don’t really blur start and end points.

Most people who know me locally know exactly where I live anyway but probably wouldn’t be comfortable if past friends/acquaintances could figure out where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Oh I actually have a pair I bought for racing. They are class

Thanks all, I got a pair of each (Hilly, 1000 mile and Incylence) to try out. Past me would be very annoyed with me spending E55 on a few pairs of socks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I wish I could say that it was only socks I invested in since starting this running lark... I have individual plastic containers now for my hats, socks and underwear, sunglasses, shorts, t-shirts and then there's the winter stuff 🤣. Don't mention the shoe rack with 20 pairs of runners on it 🤑

Oh don't I know! I'm not at it as long as most of you so haven't quite built up the collection yet, but I always laugh when someone describes running as cheap, "you just need a pair of runners and your ready to go", until you start running 6 days a week, are rotating runners, doing a mountain of washing

I've never spent more money on a sport activity I think! And I'm even using pretty cheap runners, Asics gel-excite 7 & 8, both were around €40 each from the Asics outlet. I feel like I've gotten a lot more serious into running since I got these so I'm thinking I need to invest, but I'm resisting because other than than the two times mentioned, I have had no feet or injury issues at all, so why would I change a working formula!

I also have a good but expensive problem coming up. All my gear is XL, but since I've lost a decent amount of weight, it's starting to be on the bigger side on me, at some point I'll have to buying L stuff, so have to start investing all over again! At least the socks can come with me 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Well my children are grown up so its me time now lol. I keep on telling myself enough is enough, I only started couch to 5k this time two years ago and found the bug. My intention after the weight loss was to cycle, I bought a second hand bike and loved it. Then I splashed out on a new racer but started the running lark at the same time. I have only done 200km on it in a year and a half according to Strava.... My wife is kind of over it now....

Advertisement