Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Homa wearing AirPods. Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Spieth in the water again. Second time in the last 3 holes. I think he got greedy with that second shot trying to reach the green from the pine needles on the par 5 13th. He should have laid up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think that is a bit of mad to say that - The Master is an odd event - other majors are just like normal events - if your winning normal events you can win a major.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I reckon if McIlroy can get to-1 he'll be in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Brooks could be in a spot of bother, Ricky Elliott very obviously giving club advice to Woodland’s caddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Stupid stuff from Spieth on 13th. Why would he take on a shot like that 2nd with such a high risk on day 1? Would his caddie not step up and give him a slap?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Don't think this round by Mcillroy should be surprising. A lot of his best play this year comes when battling, but he's had a good few average to poor rounds most weeks. Obviously can't afford to do it again. Big hole now, good birdie chance

I think their logic is always - i can get up and down for par - but have to risk the eagle. As mad as that sounds to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭blackcard

It is obviously a mental issue with him in the majors. Practically every Masters, he is closer to last than first after round one Everyone knows he has the golf game to win but it seems that he blows it in round 1

Scottie playing bad is as good as Rory playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

For some reason I can’t warm to him (or his game) at all, dunno what it is.

Massively frustrating as a big Rory fan for him to be out of the tournament already though. What’s another year eh.

Is Weir going to have to play on his own (bar having a marker with him), with a string of 3 balls in front of him? Or coukd they facilitate him going out first?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Rory has played poorly but a chance on 15 and flags in very friendly positions on 16 & 18, get to level or 1 under, out early tomorrow, weather will be a factor, long way to go

Right, Rory back to level par. If he could pick up 1 or 2 more in the last 3 holes, he should be relatively happy all things considered.

Good test for Rory here ...he isn't putting well and needs one..

Good birdie opportunity for Rory on 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

He has played some incredibly poor shots today. However, the problem is not so much the bad shots because everyone will make plenty of mistakes around here from time to time. It's compounding the error that is costing him. He is still playing some great shots but his bad shots come in twos or threes and that is killing him. Part of it has to be course management and decision making.

Looking at his round today and where the shots went:

3rd: Went full on with his driver leaving a tricky enough angle. Left the delicate pitch short of the green and then ran his next one well by. First shot gone.

7th: Poor drive to the left. Went for an ambitious recovery that went through the back of the green. (Power had a similar position earlier and took his medicine by playing to the right front edge of the green and had a nice chip along the length of the green and easy par putt). Rory left with a tricky chip plopped it straight into the middle of the bunker he was trying to get over. Two shots gone.

11th: Tee shot out to the right. Hovland was in the same general area with trees blocking the shot to the green. Played an ambitious fade that just made it onto the front of the green perilously close to water. Poor pace on a very difficult first putt and another bogey.

Poorly played holes where one bad shot followed another that didn't cost a shot:

1st: Bad drive left into the trees. Poor enough recovery leaving a long up and down. This might have been harsh because he didn't have many good options. Nice chip and putt to save par.

13th: Terrible 5 iron after a monster drive. Must have been 20 yards too long. Again compounded by a poor bunker shot that just crept onto the green.

Speaking of Hovland and comparing how he dealt with bad shots, he had some problems during his round but always played a good shot following a poor one.

4th: Poor first putt from an awkward stance at the edge of the bunker. Holed a 12 footer for par.

5th: Sprayed his drive into the crowd on the right. Great recovery shot to the correct level and sank the putt for a birdie.

10th: Terrible second shot left him short-sided with a bunker between him and the flag. Great recovery to 4 feet and holed the putt.

11th: Path to green partially blocked by trees. Played a great shot to the centre of the green and holed the putt for birdie.

14th: Wide left with his second shot. Great recovery pitch and saved his par.

18th: Tee shot trickled into bunker and his recovery shot was poor to the greenside bunker. Played a lovely pitch and putt to save par again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Better by Mcillroy now anyway, have seen a lot of misses from that spot. Thought was going to be just low

C'mon Rory, that just about crept into the far side of the hole. I thought it was going to slip by. -1 now.

• Advertisement

Rory is like Jekyll and Hyde. I wonder what's the most consecutive good shots he's played in this round. Fore left off the tee on 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

There's a member, scratch gofer I think, on standby goes and plays with the solo golfer in these cases, read an article recently thiscould be that member's last year on duty. I presume they probably hit a few as they go along, without getting in the way of the pro, although if it was me I'd be playing it straight up to see how I'd shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭MattressRick

The win or bust is better to watch compared to Scheffler who seems to just do the right thing all the time and shows hardly any emotion.

I feel myself his lack of emotion, no matter what the shot, is kind of annoying!

Round of the day goes to Sam Bennett, the amateur. -4 on the 18th green, no dropped shots. First time playing the course.

Rory can't putt ...so you can't really win...

Ah FFS Rory. Catches the lip but misses his par putt. Back to level par.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

How many putts has Scheffler missed left today?

• Advertisement

That's the bogey McIlroy had to avoid like the plague but couldn't. Disaster.

Advertisement