Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

1 too many missed 1st tackles, again

2 mentally soft, again

3 Fafita, except locking the scrum a bit, scrum which wasn't that bad vs a good opposion, brought nothin in 2 years. Roux-profile downgraded

4 very sorry to say that as i did put hope in his bigger LH profile but Duggan is not progressing in contact. Not a single effective tackle or ruck

5 same for DTM, took long to emerge from U20 to senior, the reason is blatant, he's too light, though trying his best

6) Blade mixes the best (carrying) with the worst (slow decision-making and kicks). He's a home-energized, start him vs Cardiff but consider more ponderate Marmion for Glasgow away

7) Bundee is not bad but not fast enough for 13-cover. Same for TOH, we won't have a top-class 15 to finish the season, even taking the risk of trying A.Byrne here, which we won't, except maybe at 23

Now positives

1) Completely different team to expect for Cardiff with key players are re-introduced, Buckley, Bealham, Carty, Murphy, Butler, that's called a stabilizing core bone

2) no apparent injury yesterday

3) Hansen playing in another dimension

4) Forde, 12 even able to correctly cover 10, is the most exciting Academy prospect since Henshaw. Aki is a talismantic impact player, I think we should have them both as such 12 Forde (covering 10) 13 Farrell (decent again yesterday) 22) Aki (no 10 on the bench) 23 Byrne/Jennings/Kilgallen

5) If Oliver is banned, could be a blessing in disguise, SHL bring more power IMO and Butler is useful too. I would not scrap Boyle yet too, he just need a bit a confidence after a long lay-off IMO

6) Porch, like Farrell is important to us

7) Illo and Augier are competing at very correct level for 2nd choice spot, able to step-up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Duggan's tackling has always concerned me, so often he makes a decent hit but completely fails to complete the tackle. Loosehead is a more of a concern for me than tight at the moment. Peter Dooley, who was once known for his dynamism, looks like he's running through treacle. Matthew Burke has been completely abandoned after what was I thought unanimously agreed to be an excellent 21/22, no idea what the story is there. Denis Buckley has been very good, but is about to turn 33.

Fifita is ok, don't agree that he's been a downgrade on Roux. Roux barely played his last few seasons, there was nothing to replace.

Agree with your take on the back row. Oliver was one of our best players most weeks in his first two seasons, but I don't think he's had much of an impact this year. Meanwhile, Jarrad has really upped his game imo. Boyle has proven his quality, he just needs a run of fitness.

About missed tackles, even if the team was involved to scrumble after, to make up for sometimes, 136 made 20 missed.

Far from the needed level

for example the model Leinster yesterday 97 made 1 missed

a decent team for example Ulster 197 made 15 missed, then 7,5%

Edimbugh vs Leicester missed 10%,

we're above 16%! Vs both Dragons and Embra we had 13% missed!

If vs Cardiff and Glasgow we're not under the maximum of 10% missed tackles, we're not in our place in Champions Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

This is exactly it. It's been this way for the last 5 years. Lots of players have joined and lots have left and there are the same issues. They are issues that the management have not really addressed. No real captain has been identified, have a few great games and then absolutely don't turn up for others. Defence goes from fantastic to absolutely muck is 1 game. I really hope Muldoon and whoever else is recruited to the coaching team bring a lot to the table.

Enough with the negative so I'm delighted Butler is back to playing like he did when he arrived. Boyle will come good with the playing time and Farrell is playing really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Think that's the best analysis of the game if truth be said. Bright side is both Glasgow and Cardiff remain in Challenge cup so they are working on two fronts while we now work on only one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

ElisaAtWar still lives😂. Just less responses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Muldoon is coaching with one of the worst teams in the premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Well they aren't good! Hence their low standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Muldoon is only coming in for line out and maul, Tucker is scrum and break down. A defence and attack coach to also be brought in.

Plenty of change and if we see two more outside voices coming in, would be very refreshing.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised if Wilkins took over one of defence/attack with one coach brought in for the other. A skills coach would be great imo.

Pretty sure Ruane said a defence and attack coach in his interview with Galway Bay fm. Personally would love a skills coach

From the Connacht State of play email. "We also had some of our key players sign contract extensions that will keep them here next season and beyond. This includes"

Caolin BladePaul Boyle | Denis BuckleyJordan DugganDavid HawkshawDave Heffernan | Sam Illo | Niall Murray | John PorchDylan Tierney-MartinGavin Thornbury

not sure if all of these have been announced. More signings to come too but not specified if players and/or coaching staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I think Frawley is the one Connacht should target.

He’s obviously seen as a 10 by Ireland coaches but don’t think Leinster are of the same opinion. Depth in front and behind him in all positions at Leinster. Could come straight into that 22 jersey and pushing Carty for a starting squad here

Supposedly Connacht have offered an Academy contract to the Ireland U20s LHP George Hadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm not sure if Frawley is seen as a 10 by Ireland coaches.

I suspect that Frawley is seen as a utility back that covers 10 and he spent time in camp at 10 to get him the tike at 10 he wasn't getting in Leinster.

To that point I suspect that Farrell was considering 2 dedicated 10s and a utility back in the world cup squad.

If he was to come in as a 10 then absolutely. We have Ford and Hawkshaw and Daly in the 12 covering 10 already. It would make sense for all parties if he was willing.

New one year contracts for Bolton and McCoy

Two year deal for Colm Reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think young Cathal Forde has all the tools to be a quality international rugby player (better than Frawley). Hawkshaw has also been a very good signing. I see no reason for Connacht to go after Frawley.

Honestly, if I was Connacht I'd be getting rid of Carty and investing in those two.

• Advertisement

Forde looks like the long term option at 12. Hawkshaw will be a decent rotation option at 12 and some times 10. Still need a 10 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

With the 3 extensions today does anyone have the updated list of players who are out of contract?

Delahunt

Fafita

masterson

Booth??

McCormack??

marmion

fitzgerald

wooton

Toh

Byrne

I think that’s it but I’m probably missing someone

Both signed new deals last year, Burke was confirmed to be 2 years and theres a decent chance Aungier's was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Carty has 2 years remaining on his contract, he is going no where. Need another 10 at a minimum for back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭testtech05

I know there was a lot of talk about it both ways but the branch need to confirm bundee is staying too.

If it's a done deal I see no reason not to announce it, especially around the time of the Cordero signing, when they had generated a decent bit of buzz. I have seen elsewhere that he is off after the world cup.

Shane Delahunt retiring at the end of the season.

• Advertisement

We’ll know for sure by the Cardiff game as I believe they’re having the presentation for the departing players

Advertisement