Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 21/22 Eviction Ban (was: And just like that, FFFG lose 298000 votes))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

One of those consequences would be that anyone in a council house that has any extra rooms would probably be forced to moved to a smaller house so that someone who needs the space will be moved into that house.

Most people think that they will go for private home owners first in such a situation. But the government would have to fully utilize the stock that it currently owns (under-occupied council houses) before it moves on to privately owned dwellings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I know of three people who bought council houses that initially they were renting, or in one case their father was renting it, two of these cases made a tidy profit by selling the houses later.

In one case to be specific, she sold the side garden first not cheap then at a later stage sold the house too.

You would think the council should have had some rules in place to avoid these scenarios.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Personally, if the state gets its "housing for all" bill and were to try to take my house, it would find itself the owners of a smoldering pile of salted earth.

Theres a name that every REIT and landlord will be saving for future reference.

• Advertisement

There are former council houses in Stillorgan that were sold off in the 1980s, I believe. Probably they went for 20-30k a piece. Today, they would get close to 700k if put to market.

Prices change over time.

There were houses and apartments sold off just over a decade ago for 50 to 100k that would be worth around half a million now.

If only i had the balls or the money to risk then to buy them.

Indeed, but the point I was making was that the tenants who bought these houses bought them when the price was 2-3 times the yearly joint income. Today, the houses are worth 8-10 times the average income.

Well not to beat the drum againm but we all know, even if some wont admiit it why houses now cost multiples of dual imcomes, why rents have gone up and why house prices experience upward pressure. If we had all been honest 10 years ago, that includes the citizens, the charities, the press, and the government we would not be here.

Well yes, that's true. We had a golden opportunity to trim the state down to size, get spending under control and deflate all of that celtic tiger property madness back to a reasonable level. However "we" didn't do that. The globalists who run this pension fund with a flag wouldn't have that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You would want to pull your political rhetoric many notches back towards sanity. This is not your first post to go wildly over the line.

This is a moderator instruction - do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The independent is going full on with the notice to terminate stories. Does anyone see a problem with the headline and the photo from this one???

“The single-mother is currently staying at her parents’ ancestral home in Bree, a two-bedroom house built in 1950 which has no heating and plumbing from another age.”

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

I guess a less dramatic headline is:

'Woman who chose not to pay her rent forced to move into parents holiday home until August as a direct consequence of her own decisions'

"Towards the end of her tenancy Michelle began saving for a deposit for a new home, hoping that she would be able to cause as little upheaval for her children as possible. However, this led to her falling into arrears on her rent (€248)"

And that was her contribution to the council which probably meant that the landlord didn’t receive the HAP from the council either.

Has nobody spotted the radiator behind her in the pic of the house with “plumbing from another age”?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

How is it that she isnt eligible for social housing due to a very small level of arrears, when 60% of South Dublin council tenants are in arrears?

I assume its because she left the property and so is not an existing council tenant.

Whereas if she had stayed in the property, her debts to the council wouldnt matter.

I cant believe thst a single mum with 5 kids wont get housed though. There must be some other scheme she can claim through, even of the HAP door is closed. Bht she probably needs to declare herself homeless first.

If I read it correctly, when applying for HAP you agree to pay your contribution to the council or your claim can be cancelled. I’m assuming that if she had remained in the privately rented property, the council would give her a good few chances before cancelling. Because she moved into a family property and no longer required HAP, the clause would automatically kick in as she was no needed to be on the housing list

As usual, there’s definitely more to it than she wants us to know. There’s mention of her sister also being evicted from her rental and moving to the ancestral home and then the mother coming back from Malta too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's an exceptionally rare event that a "hard case" in the media here is accurately and fully reported and has no oddities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If she stopped the council's payment what are the chances she stopped any balancing payment to the LL as well.

The law of unintended consequences comes to mind. It like all these idiots saying there going to overhold and putting there mugs in the newspapers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Reporting this type of thing generates its own momentum, it's like advertising: 'Get your story in the papers and you might get a house'.

Easy work for any lazy journos and helps the people who don't pay their rent avoid consequences of their actions, very admirable all round.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I’ve missed them but have there been many news reports of increased numbers presenting themselves as homeless this week? Have many ex tenants that should have left their rentals last Saturday actually left?

I know the tenants in a house a few doors up from me would have originally had a notice to quit by the end of February (then extended via the ban till end of March) but they’re still in the house and haven’t opened the curtains so far this month. I do know the landlady still wants to get a for sale sign up asap.

All the news stories I’ve come across have just been about those who’ve been served notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Molly1961

Our tenant has not have had to pay any contribution towards HAP for 10 years, as we set the rent below HAP limit and have not increased it in ten years. (Housing in Co. Council was gobsmacked). Just to clarify, he has had to pay zero (0.00) as a contribution to HAP. He asked my husband ten years ago to reduce his rent, as he said could not afford the contribution. Yes, we thought we were kind, but turns out we are dumb.

We told him from the start of the tenancy that the cottage was for our children if they wish to move there in the future. It is a year since we issued a NTQ. He said he would leave at the end of November last year, but when we didn't see him moving anything out. The agent contacted him two days before the end of November asking him if he was still leaving and he declared "Well no, am I not entitled to stay?". Clearly by law he was... I increased the rent to 950 euro, as my daughter is paying that currently in rent (note: 950 euro from her net income, he is receiving DA due to fybromalgia). This was to kick in at the end of May. He wrote to say that he could not move into his accommodation until the beginning of June (obviously still wanting to avail of not having to pay any rent for April and May). We applied to RTB for a determination on overholding and suddenly he found a house in another county within two days 🤨 The agent said he had a change of heart when she told him that overholding may affect his ability to find rental in the private market. I now realise that we have enabled a parasite. I rang Housing and he hadn't disclosed that he is working part-time (teaching music lessons). I would not be surprised that he was going to continue HAP in our County and also receive HAP in the other County. Plays the drums for hours at end, must be hard on the wrists and shoulders 😅. I am currently watching him nimbly climbing a shed he built to disassemble it, working for the last 7 days filling his trailer with turf and timber. Maybe it is time to get a medical review 😐️

It the one advantage in rural or smaller urban area. A tenant overholding will become known. When a LL manages to get vacant possession ( and they will at some stage) nobody else will take them.

As you had sent an increase in rent notice to a market rate there was no longer any advantage in him staying put. He be paying the market rate in a few months, when he would finally be evicted his ability to secure new accommodation would be limited as any LL looking for a reference from you would be informed of the overholding.

For the sake of 2-3 months of cheaper rent he had to vacate.

Slava Ukrainii

A low life, good on you for getting rid of this parasite that our tax indulges them.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Molly1961

Meanwhile we recently heard from the agent he was telling the estate agent in the new County that he was paying 950 euro rent, weeks before we even contemplated putting up the rent. I am counting on Karma big time, what goes 'round comes 'round!

Lads like that forget that all the agents talk to each other. You biggest bother will be the other agent will not take him.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Or councils might bring in a spare bedroom tax like the uk where housing benefits are adjusted downwards if a council tenant has unoccupied bedrooms.

Karma definitely comes around. I had a parasite that believed the world (and me) owed him for everything. Nasty piece of work who it took an age to get out. It was only this year that my husband has heard about all the nasty stories he was telling people about us and they believed him UNTIL they had the pleasure of him crashing at their houses and ripping the p1ss.

He eventually stepped on the toes of someone that shouldn’t be messed with and has left the locality and I think he’s left the country 😂 Karma sure is a b1tch but I must say I sleep soundly now he’s not my problem 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Basically amounts to an interest free loan while you and I pay 9%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Here's a landlord who doesn't seem to care about the RTB rulings. He sublet a property and as tenants left, he AirBnB'd the vacant rooms. He gave NTQ to the remaining tenants, removed white goods and put tenants possessions out. RTB fined him €12k per tenant and he appealed it.

What I don't get is how he can be fined if he is not the owner - does the owner not need to be at an RTB dispute?

Advertisement