Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car breakdown

• 18-03-2023 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi just wondering

Audi a4 b8 car, have it 5 years, first time it seemed to judder and lose power when on motorway, pulled in, conked out. Wouldn't restart. Had to get it towed. Mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong, checked it over, started for him the next morning. Did notice a few months ago when filled it with diesel, glowplug lights and abs lights came on, juddering, but then turned off and restarted it and was fine until this incident.

Any ideas appreciated 👍

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Did he scan it for stored fault codes? Something has been logged from the earlier incident. How long has it been since it was serviced? Particularly the fuel filter. What year is the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Throw a bottle of redex in to clean the fuel system.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭buzzing147

Was serviced few weeks ago, oil and filter. Hasn't had fuel filter in 30,000 miles. Needs front CV joint so will put fuel filter in when in for that job.

If you're going to go down the, throw something in the fuel route, get the proper injector cleaner from Skoda, it does actually make a difference.

Happened again today, car was serviced a month ago and fuel filter put in last week. Lost power whilst driving, wouldn't restart, noticed check oil level light warning when trying to restart, turning over,wouldn't start up. Guy I took it to a month ago couldn't find any codes when hooked it up. Does the check oil give anyone any ideas?? Oil level is fine, only serviced recently. Cheers

• Advertisement

Is it possible if EGR valve stuck open, it wouldn't throw up a fault? No faults on car in diagnostics, presumed get one when car lost power twice and woudnt restart

Surely anything relating to the egr would log a fault. It sounds like intermittent fuel starvation to me. You could try removing the filler cap in case the tank breather is blocked. Are you absolutely certain the fuel filter was changed, maybe the incorrect filter was used, I saw that with a Qashqai and it caused no end of problems, particularly starting problems.

Can you think of anything that was done to the car before this started, clutch change, timing belt, service etc? It inevitably goes back to something being disturbed or a pipe cracking etc.

Car did have emissions light on few months ago, had 4 glowplugs installed and intake manifold motor replaced. Drove fine after that until now. Lost powe twice, stalled,wouldn't restart, and nothing showing up on dash or on PC. Got an EGR valve so gonna try that first to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

When it stalls and doesn't restart, can you hear the fuel pump "whirr" before the car starts? (And can you normally hear it when the car is fine)

Not sure tbh, guy who got it restarted last week after 7-8 attempts, seemed to put foot on accelerator on last few attempts, and it seemed to start. He thought seemed starved of fuel, but then suggested maybe EGR valve stuck open. Rang Audi but they've no free diagnostic dates for 3 weeks. Not sure if anything would show up there also. It did similar thing a week before cutting both bimes, first time, seemed to judder as if no power, i kept foot on clutch and it kept ticking over, made a rattle sound underneath for 100 metres and once got it parked and turned off it seemed fine again on restart, and similar 2nd time

Noticed now this morn, a humming sound after starting, at front of dash, and gurgling type sound, juddered very slightly too. Can hear similar sound when rev in neutral. Maybe not the EGR valve at all. And no faults on diagnostics. And hard to get a mechanic seeing it's easter and all very busy or off🙄

Sounds like the flywheel is after failing. I think you've a few things going on there. Very difficult to help via a forum. Are there any air bubbles in the coolant bottle when the engine is running? You could have head gasket failure too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Guy I took it to a month ago couldn't find any codes when hooked it up

get a different mechanic

no air bubbles, it's like an electric type sound humming, maybe fuel pump? Or flywheel? When I rev it in neutral can hear the same flap type sound, as if something opening and closing, electrical type sound. Would the flywheel cause the car to lose all power and not restart, cause that's what happened put of the blue last week

Cleaned the throttle body and egr the last day, no juddering or acting up since, hopefully was that! Lot of hard black soot in both

Hopefully it will sort it. The rattle you said earlier would worry me, anyway see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

Cleaning it won't do much for it.... You need someone that's able to read the live data straight away the next time it starts giving trouble. Audi dealers have no interest in sorting out a 13 year old A4 with those sort of problems. Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Where are you located OP

• Advertisement

Based in donegal. Someone mentioned maybe a bad wire at fuel pump or fuel filter, if that's a possibility. Maybe fuel related. Nothing showing up on diagnostics

You could be listening to lads "mentioning" solutions all day..... It's the live data that needs to be studied not just looking for fault codes.

Where would I get live data? Is that only when the car stalls again? Last 2 times it stalled it was checked on laptop and no codes showing up. Would main dealer be able to recover data from the 2 breakdowns?

It's nothing to do with codes.... It's a better mechanic you need looking at it straight away the next time it stalls.... Live data showing all the parameters... Sorry i can't help, i'm at the opposite end of the country.

☺️☺️. How can you get live data from a stopped car? Looking at it straight away after stopping won't make any difference.

Something like a bad connection would leave a code.

It was juddering a lot last Friday, but didn't cut out... and a electrical flap type noise at front of dash after start up, for 10 seconds.....Got throttle and egr parts cleaned afterwards, hasn't juddered since...just hopeing that sorted it but doubtful!

Would the wrong oil cause this? Got it serviced a month ago and broke down a week later, first loss of all power out of blue. 2nd loss of power was 2 weeks ago.

Wrong or incorrectly fitted fuel filter would be my first suspect.

• Advertisement

Fuel filter was fitted after the first power loss. The judder was very similar to the throttle body judder I got 5 years ago when first had the car, replaced part back then and nothing till now. Hasnt acted up yet since cleaned egr and throttle body last week.

Advertisement