Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm definitely expecting to see Bail at some stage in the Mothma storyline.

I don't think we will see Palpatine except maybe on a screen in the background. Anton Lessers character already acts as a stand in evil old Imperial and he fits the show better.

Gerrera made perfect sense as a character in this show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To a small degree, The Force Awakens and even the original film kinda touched on the simple way you address the Force at the street level of Andor: who the fúck cares, wasn't it all just a load of mumbo-jumbo anyway?

When you think about it: the Jedi were a totally unaccountable police force,, one that seemed to just do their own thing - that's ripe for a perspective of those who might be glad they're extinct, dismissing them as religious fanatics. While you get the sense that most characters on Andor couldn't give a cuss about mystical powers - not when a jumped up Empire Commander is now putting his boot on your neck, metaphorically or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I was just happy to have cool laser sword...ooo bright coloured lights, laser beams.

Having the legal aspect tied up in court and hearings wasn't where I was hoping it would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The only Jedi that we know of in the Andor era (by we I mean the viewers) are Obi-Wan and Yoda. But they are in hiding until after the events of Rogue One. Darth Vadar could possibly appear but that would ruin the impact of his appearance at the end of Rogue One/start of Star Wars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I only mean that Andor could explore that perspective of the Jedi as an institution not so fondly remembered by those furthest from its context. Weirdly, I wasn't expecting the Obi-Wan show to be first at exploring a pro-Empire views; that Mole person who helped our heroes, while chatting about how awesome the Empire was for law & order.

But in general, Andor would be best served staying the hell away from The Force, Sith, Jedi etc as much as possible. Could you imagine that finale and how it might have played out if The Third Sister inquisitor squished into a scene? LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I wouldn't be averse to a series about street-level Force-aware people. NOT recruited by the Jedi order or Sith. Not galactic knight-wizards. Think of the rise and fall of low-level Force-aware gangsters. Know they can move stuff a bit, influence people to a degree. (Think the low-level powers many had in "Looper"). They know what they are but have no training. Having to stay low so they don't appear on the Jedi or Sith radar (So NO lightsabers). They don't WANT to be galactic knight-wizards. They just want to survive the mean streets of wherever( apart from Tattooine)

Not sure Andor has the time to go there.

Another mature show could though. I would like to see more of the various Jedi worshipping monks we saw in Andor and Force Awakens. The Jedi clearly had a ton of lay helpers. We could see both love and hate for Jedi through their eyes.

Absolutely immediately post RotS is an area would be great for a good show. The place must be in bits post galactic war and the formation of the empire would have created a huge churn (to borrow an Expanse term). Think post Spanish Civil War in space.

Yeah, there's possibly not enough time left to work it into Andor - though hopefully this show let Disney know the hunger is there for more nuance and maturity in Star Wars shows.

@TheIrishGrover had a neat idea in suggesting street-level Force sensitive people, and how they might thrive without drawing attention from the EMpire - though I'd say there'd be a risk it might come off a little too "generic powers" kind of show which; something which TV is oversaturated with ATM.

There must be loads of Force Sensitive folk out there whose powers just don't tremble the needle enough to warrant intervention from the Jedi or Sith. The Looper comparison is apt; just a useful sense that lets you influence people a little more, perhaps some minor telekinesis - stopping short at anything epic.

Big question is would the protagonists be force sensitive from the Skywalker or the Palpatine side of the family tree ?

Maybe there could be a black lad who we can speculate is a Windu 🤣

• Advertisement

Sort of but he revered the Jedi. His buddy was a monk too but seemed to be bitter and a lapsed believer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Ah now 'only' is not quite true. I well remember leaving my original Bondi Blue iMac dialled in (yes, that) to the internet overnight for three nights running to eventually download the trailer in glorious potato vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

I think Bail Organa's role in Mon Motha's story line is nearly obligatory for Season 2 - presumably he's getting the same kind of scrutiny at this time that she is (unless they want to do The Jimmy Smits Show). I am curious too as to the fate of her husband and daughter - I have a feeling he may turn out to be not as feckless as initially portrayed maybe and could end up being a player on either side. There has to be some dramatic turn at some point where she departs the comfy life she has enjoyed up until now. This arc has great potential.

Yeah, I hope and don't think we'll see Vadar or Palpatine at all. A key feature of the portrayal of the civil-service style oppression of the Empire's secret service shenanigans was how far beneath the Emperor's level it was all being conducted. There is one incidence of the whole thing being raised in one conversation with the Emperor by Major Partagaz's boss who himself only parachutes in when the capture of Kreegyr's pilot ... the whole thing is just dismissed as an irritation to the Emperor that his minions need to take care of. And this is fundamental to the whole spirit of Andor.

And Vadar would just be a complete WTF moment which they've studiously and comfortably avoided in Season 1.

Not sure if there is scope or necessity to bring in other Rogue One characters. Do we need to know any more than we do about the Galen/Krenic story? We could see Jyn in Saw's entourage but I think she has probably already fecked off on her own at this stage of the timeline and if they were going to do that, it would probably have had to have been in the Series 1 scenes anyway. And she can't meet Cassian in this series.

I presume Luthen will meet his maker at some stage since he would otherwise be a big player in Rogue One.

Ya Luthen isn't getting out of this alive.

Krennic was brilliant but we have no reason to see him and would just clog up a show full of Krennic types already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Luthen character really makes you think about putting yourself in his shoes...what would you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It is insane how good this series is.

I still have two episodes - I never binge and this show in particular is one I want to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s the best series in the SW universe. When it ties up with rogue one , could make this SW story the most complete and satisfying yet.

I think it's good, even outside the caveat of its home universe. It was a legitimate entry for Best Of 2022, maybe even the 2020s as a whole across TV fiction.

It's almost as if, if you hire a proper professional writer and director, and not some gormless fanboy or newb out of their depth, you get a barnstorming end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It is disappointing that they have to tell the next four years in one season. I read part of an interview with Luna and it makes sense why but we will miss out on a lot of story.

Hopefully season 2 will bring a few more alien main characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

Yeah. That idea is really leaving a very bad taste in my mouth indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Give! Give now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Andor Season 2’s Final Three Episodes Cover The Three Days Before Rogue One – Exclusive

Do we know if the Strike is having an effect on this? The article says the shoot is midway through, so wondering if it'll have to pause.

Disappointing we're only gonna get 2 seasons of this - but equally, better two stellar seasons than a show that overstays its welcome I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Relikk

In a recent Q&A Tony Gilroy said the scripts were completed a couple of days before the strike, so there should be no reason to pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The strike means no changes can be made to the script on the fly. So if it's written it has to be filmed as it is. No such thing as something not sounding right so have to change a couple words.

So delays could be expected because of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The strike wouldn't prevent non-WGA members (such as actors and directors) making uncredited changes to the script. This happens anyway and there was a lots of it during the last strike, some of it probably encouraged by writers acting in other capacities on the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was going by this

As TV vet Mike Royce detailed on Twitter, “If a show continues production on a script that was written before the strike, there may not be ANY ALTERATIONS to that script made by ANYONE while the WGA is on strike. Not a word, not a comma.”

Not sure who would enforce it and it all depends on who shows solidarity with the writers.

Like there are those who enjoy writing which is how we got things like Dr. horrible last time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think that tweet relates to "scabbing" - someone who works despite the strike or crosses the picket line by contributing written material. There's naturally going to be a lot of chest beating about this but the reality is the union has no authority to discipline non-members. Actors and directors re-writing scenes will always happen with or without a strike but there's only so much they can do. They can improve the dialogue and action but plot and story require an actual writer.

• Advertisement

Looks like Tony Gilroy had faced criticism for not stepping back in solidarity with the WGA strike. He now has though, following a backlash: Gilroy will no longer perform any "non-writing duties" for Andor Season 2. He was a screenwriter before segueing towards direction/producing so I kinda get the irritation here, even if he had said he would stop actually writing.

“I discontinued all writing and writing-related work on Andor prior to midnight, May 1. After being briefed on the Saturday showrunner meeting, I informed Chris Keyser at the WGA on Sunday morning that I would also be ceasing all non-writing producing functions,” Gilroy said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. When reached by phone late Tuesday, Keyser — the co-chair of the WGA’s negotiating committee — confirmed his conversation with Gilroy. Lucasfilm, which produces Andor, declined to comment.

Advertisement