Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's IMDB

not heard of any of these

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fan favourite Rey Palpatine.

<QuantumLeap>

Oh boy.

</QuantumLeap>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

TBH I liked Rey in the first 2, everything just went utterly off the rails in the last one. It's a product of not sticking to your guns and placating a very vocal part of the audience.

I'm willing to give this a chance, but I'm not sure on the director. Seems like another Eternals disaster waiting to happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's fair. The backtracking on her origins from Episodes VIII to IX was one of the more egregious, craven examples of bowing to irrational fan pressure. I loved the twist that she basically had no noble origin - more than that, she seemed to be cast aside - and her growth came from making her own history.

Fair enough if people didn't like Rey being "nobody", but the course correction went beyond extreme - into exactly one of the problems Star Wars has now - that the galaxy has about 20 people living in it.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm wondering if this is due to the successes of the star wars shows on disney+, I was pleasantly surprised by most of them and shows that there is a bit of interest in the lore behind the series but if I'm being honest, I think star wars just works with a TV format, trying to squeeze enough story into a single movie, designed to be part of a trilogy just feels so done and dusted with star wars.

I will say though, I did quite like Daisy Ridley, but I think having another Jedi protagonist is just going to make this feel too familiar, I'd argue this is why rogue one was so well received

• Advertisement

Which part? That there's a new movie, or that it's set 15 years after the sequels?

TBH, it was always a matter of when Star Wars returns to the big-screens, not if.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Should have specified, I meant that there was another movie.

I believe, like you, that it was always a matter of when, but I'm not yet massively convinced on the potential success

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mostly documentaries and animations, a few TV episodes set in Marvel universe... I don't see any feature length movies on the scale \ challenge of a Star Wars blockbuster, or maybe on any scale?

Seems a gamble to entrust a film with hundreds of millions of dollars on the line to someone with so little experience.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Worked out fine for the MCU, depending on your perspective.

Fresh, enthusiastic young directors with minimal useful experience - especially those from backgrounds the studio wish to pay lip service to - are perfect for Marvel, Disney's purposes. Means FX and set-pieces can be front-loaded without seasoned, opinionated directors holding things up with silly ideas like "good filmmaking" or whatnot

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They seem to be hired more as 'Directors of Photography' than actual Directors... or a football 'coach' with a Director of Football really running the show - but still titled 'Manager'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I’d like to see Ridley get more substantial material than the rubbish in ROTS. She deserves better than that - whether this delivers that will be a question we can only answer when / if the film gets released.

But then I said the same thing re: Ewan McGregor, and the monkey paw curled and we got Obi-Wan Kenobi, a show so bad it almost makes the prequels look good. Almost.

A Dave Filoni-verse Star Wars film though… no thanks to that!

I hadn't watched any of cartoons Filoni was involved with, but had understood him to have a positive reception form fans... but his work so far in live action has stunk up the joint so badly, I'm worried about what Star Wars will amount to in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,345 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Rey being "nobody" was a brilliant twist and Rey and Kylo worked really well together even when everything around was meh.

Retuning the Jedi to being a royal bloodline in The last movie was absolutely stupid.

I don't understand why these clowns explode when their fan theories don't come through. Should you not welcome the surprise.

If you want to get hyper critical and myopic, Star Wars has a weird fixation with monarchies, regents, magistrates and anything except democracy. While Mando season 3 seems intent on making the one democratic institution there is - the New Republic - as shady and amoral as the Empire in its margins. Not even in a "that's the price of horse trading a new world order" sorta way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

3 new films were announced

The three new films will be set across the Star Wars timeline, with James Mangold covering a period 25,000 years before the events of the saga, Dave Filoni covering the New Republic vs. the Imperial Remnants in a story between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. Most exciting, perhaps was the news that Daisy Ridley will be reprising her role as Rey in a new film set 15 years after The Rise of Skywalker

https://collider.com/new-star-wars-movies-announced/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

James Mangold will be directing a new SW movie too. Sounds like a Jedi origins movie but being set 25,000 before the first trilogy, we can at least hope there'll be no Skywalkers, right? Right??!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,345 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mangold sounds like the best one.

I assume Filoni's movie will star one of the many Jedi who survived Order 66. Fek sake way more than enough survived it seems to take on the 2 Sith. No idea why they were waiting on Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Will she be even more perfect and flawless than before, instantly better than men at everything without any prior training?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I already know the plot of this new film. Darth Vader will live alone on Skellig Michael, he will have to build a kayak and catch fish, and he will also catch and eat wild gulls and puffins. Rest of the time he will spend meditating, doing yoga, practicing karate including stick fighting, w@nking and sleeping. He will sleep late most days. This will occupy the first 2hrs and 30mins of the film. Then in the final 15mins he will kayak to the irish mainland, get a Ryanair flight from Kerry airport to the Death Star, and fire off a nuclear missile that will blow up the entire universe, hence killing all good and bad guys including himself. This will be the very last Star Wars movie and will sweep up all awards at the Oscars, similar to what happened with the final LOTR film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

The Daisy Ridley announcement is a bit surprising. Besides her being a weak enough actor who was unable to capitalise on her star wars success, I thought they'd want to move on from that sorry mess of a trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Nobody really directs Marvel/SW movies and TV shows. They are all made in house which is why you can't tell one from the other direction wise.

The Last Jedi was the only one that stood out visually and was about the only aspect of that film that was any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

How is Kathleen Kennedy still in charge of Star Wars?!?!?! Disney just love to lose money….

all the films have been utter shite other than rogue one and even that one she basically fired the director at the end. All the tv shows have been utter muck except Andor.

star wars with her at the helm has been an absolute shambles and none of these new projects sound interesting at all.

for the Rey trilogy she’s already fired one set of writers….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Star Wars needs a clean break from the 'Skywalker Saga' (i.e. everything Lucas created). Mangold's movie has the most potential for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Disney have kind of missed their window with Star Wars for the cinema? the first of the new Star Wars films came out right when kids from the 70's had kids of a similar age this time round to enjoy the experience again. Im not sure you can reignite that? I dont get the impression teens or kids are into Star Wars anymore, and with D+ pumping out mediocre at best tv series , where will a large cinema audience come from?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This. All this. As a non-Star Wars fan, I agree that holding to this time/era is a bad move. I just don't get the love of them. Rogue One was the best film, by far, and I think that's mostly because it was it's own little film set in the universe, and while tied to the main ones it really can be watched separate of them without losing anything.

I've an interest in the SW world, but the Skywalker stuff is terrible and brings the films down. There's massive scope for something amazing, and the prequel one sounds like it has the most potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Relikk

Daisy Ridley did her best with the dross we got after The Force Awakens, but I can't admit to feeling remotely excited for any movie set after that trilogy.

It was great to see The Old Republic listed on the timeline of eras featured in upcoming productions. We all know the stories of KotOR 1 & 2, but I still think film adaptations of them, taking nothing away but also expanding on them logically, is a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Rey film is going to bomb at the box office, go girl power on steroids.

The director is a Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy who Wikipedia descibe as " a Pakistani-Canadian journalist, filmmaker and activist known for her work in films that highlight the inequality for women"

No thanks

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer released:

Looks good in general. Kicks off strong with a cool looking Light Saber fight.

Definitely recognised the Irish Cartoon Saloon style. Also the Wallace and Gromit folks 🙂

Star Wars: Visions Volume 2 | Official Trailer | Disney+

I'm still a bit befuddled at how Aardman are doing a Star Wars, while at the same time a little disappointed they didn't commit to the art-style they've used throughout the studio's existence. Cowards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭McFly85

From what little we know of it, it sounds like a bit of a course correction from Lucasfilm/Disney, with Rey being the person setting up a new Jedi order instead of Luke.

The ST for me was by far the worst of the trilogies, and as easy as it is to blame Abrahms/Johnston, but the lack of understanding of the franchise or patience in developing it at an executive level must take a large portion of the blame. They wanted a trilogy developed insanely quickly, didn’t want to use Lucas’ outline and entrusted each films writing and direction to different people - a sort of MCU approach, except these films should have been far more interconnected.

So this new one might have a chance if they take their time and focus on making one film, and maybe use some of Lucas and EU ideas as a basis for the plot.

Ridley was fine as Rey, Rey just wasn’t too interesting because she just was a Force user without any real development and her heritage ended up being butchered. A 15 year time jump hopefully means we can just take that she’s been training since we’ve seen her and is a Jedi Master now, and will give her something better to work with.

Advertisement