Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion] contd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭threetrees

While I believe what Aaron did was rape, I think the point is that Aaron himself doesn't believe it was rape and therefore a serial rapist story won't work.

Amy was unconscious and unresponsive and he still proceeded to have sex with her, she did not consent by action or verbally, therefore he took advantage of her being unconscious and that's rape. Doesn't matter if either, neither or both were drunk.

The storyline is probably deliberately a little vague and complicated but it highlights the issue for the audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did Tracy get Roy drunk and do the deed to make him believe Amy was his or did they not do the deed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

at what stage did we see that Aaron 'knew' that she had passed out. I thought he didn't have a clue (partly because how out of it on drink he was) that she had passed out and just gone quiet or got the idea that she was just laying back and enjoying it - with his character portrayed in Corrie surely if he really knew she had passed out he would have stopped ?

Its a shame actually because in a way I would have loved the storyline to progress that it did actually go to court and see what the outcome would have been. would the judge have thrown it out of court because they were mates (flatmates at one time) , got drunk and were messing about and joking and laughing? - would the Jury have delivered back a guilty verdict or not? and what would have happened and would he have been found guilty of rap ... but we wont know now how it would have panned out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm pretty sure she just told him they'd slept together, and eventually told him the truth.

It's funny though to think of the things they used to do on soaps and nobody batted an eyelid at them. Cain Dingle on Emmerdale surely has a couple of statutory rape cases to answer to.

in real life now if someone like Amy did say "do you know what it was all a big mistake , he did not rape me after all" (I know she is just saying that now because she does not like all the hassle and upset its causing and thats why she is saying that now) but if someone did say 'its all been a mistake' would they not then be getting a visit from the police saying "you have been wasting police time as well as falsely accusing someone of rape' - or would they just get away with it like that?

• Advertisement

It would probably depend on how much time and effort they actually put into a case, and what impact it had on the accused. There was a very high profile case in the UK only a few weeks ago where someone was sentenced for making up some wild allegations against a group of men.

In terms of what's happening on Corrie, they did the bare minimum, so I doubt Amy would be facing any charges herself, even if they were stupid enough to not see why she's withdrawn it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think in real life they would be probing much more along the lines of what both Summer and TracyLuv think, that she is saying she 'made a mistake' to make it all go away (which of course it won't and isn't as they have shown). Surprised they haven't involved Dr. Gaddas and/or a counsellor yet.

It would be interesting to see the reactions of previous survivors of rape - Carla, David and Toyah when they hear about it.

For a man of the cloth who presumably deals a lot with distressed people Billy is astonishingly useless when it comes to his own partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I remember Hollyoaks a few years back did the consent storyline with Gilly (a good hearted decent character) and Jacqui McQueen and in the end he admitted she didn't consent and left

Amy is already suffering with nightmares, ptsd, not wanting to be touched etc., she won't be able to live on the same street as Aaron unless maybe Tracy kills again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There's a film called The Holiday.

Jude Law and Camerian Diaz are in it.

Cameron character is drunk. Not sure about his.

She wakes up the next morning and asks did anything happen and he basically says I'm a man of principals and don't sleep with women who are unconscious.

I'm 30 maybe it's a generational thing but I think it's sort of scary that people can't see Aaron raped Amy.

When your having sex with someone. You've to get consent before and during and you make sure that person is of the right mind to give consent.

We haven't heard the last of the Aaron story in my opinion. Aaron sees nothing wrong in what he did and he's sees Abi as an alloy and Kevin is away.

Is it ever that black and white? - Do you think it has a bearing if both parties are drunk or sober, whether they really know each other, were friends and was a 'moment' about a week before with a consensual (on both sides) kiss and knew what they were doing getting blind drunk but carried on drinking still?

What consent do you think you need, do you have to break off what you are doing and outline in clearly and have a proper consultation and discussion and kill the moment? - does either of the couple need to record the consent on their mobile phone to use as evidence just in case people cannot remember what happened the next day or need to use it in court? - seems all very well clinical and if it is clinical these days , what has happened to spontaneity when making love?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She pushed his hand away before she passed out. He knows well she did not consent and once she passed out was in no position to consent, which is the same as not consenting. He is a basically decent bloke so of course does not want to see himself as a rapist, but at the same time he knows she did not consent, so he knows what he is. Whether they will show him coming to this realisation or will just hound him out of the street, I don't know. I would prefer the former.

ah right, i did not see that she pushed his hand away, maybe i need to watch that part again. i thought he was just talking and doing what he was doing and it all went quiet. good job they didnt base it on other soaps when the blokes get a slap around the face or pushed away and then the next minute the woman pulls them towards her and start having ravishing sex!

Sometimes it is black and white.

This is why consent is so important.

I'd have always said there was no need for consent classes but after reading this thread. I 100% support them providing they are balanced and open.

They are people into all types of BDSM and they've all their limits and safe words when they want things to stop. They do discuss things tough.

On hook ups, one night stands, etc. You don't need a formal contract but you read the situation. Does the person seem like they are having a good time? Are they pushing away, etc. Ask is the person okay/having a good time, etc. If that person for examples says no you stop or it that person passes out/falls asleep you stop.

Drink/Drugs can be seen as an excuse but in reality when your awake and functioning you don't make any sexual contact with somebody who is passed out/semi unconconius. It's not spontanous. It's rape.

They can of course be grey areas and consent and what is required for it might change.

There's a video someone made about consent a few years ago and they compare it to giving someone a cup of tea. That sounds kind of silly but it was very well done. I'll see if I can find it again. But yeah, as someone said above, the conversation that has been happening around this story is probably why they chose to tell it this way. And I'd assume that's how they're going to have it play out, with other characters discussing it too, to get the point across.

Edit - found it

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭steinbock123

i used to live right beside the grand canal . On sunny days, like today, you could clearly see right down to the bottom. It’s inconceivable that nobody out jogging, walking by, fishing, swimming, having a snog , sailing past on a barge or boat, or just generally hanging around the canal in Manchester would not at some stage spot a large grey coffin like box at the bottom of the canal. It is going on way too long.

Victims? What has he done?

He's obviously well dodge, but I didn't realize he had 'victims'.

He killed a guy called Leo.we don't know where his body is.(I think).

Then Leo's father showed up and killed him and out his body in Audrey's roof box and then into the canal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭apache

Was Leo's body dumped in a big dumpster bin? Don't know how the bin men didn't notice.

For some reason I thought Stephen pulled it out of the bin and put it in the back of a van.

He might be alive. You never know.

yeah - it was Leo's Dad who is at the bottom of the river in a roof box LOL

• Advertisement

Sounds like a rehash of Richard Hillman.

How is Paul driving, with one hand (the steering wheel hand) out of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭dixiedan

Maybe Weatherfield Local council will decide someday there's too much rubbish etc in the canal and decide to do a cleanup. The roof box will be opened out of curiosity and your man will float out. It will be very newsworthy and then the **** will hit the fan. Didn't a lot of corrie locals see Stephen puffing and wheezing trying to shift it?

🤑🤑

yeah - he said there was a heavy broken sewing machine in the roof box

The roof box body story was farcical.

Stephen the big business man still in his charity shop suit with poor old gobdaw Elaine believing every word out of his mouth. It's all daft.

At least Hillman, Stape and Pat Phelan had some sense of menace about them. Stephen just looks constipated.

Where's our other serial murderer Gar-eh these days? Did I miss something?

Gar-eh only killed once ... rick neelan wasnt it? - I dont think he murdered anyone else. - Stephen on the other hand... well I feel he hasnt finished yet, there will be a few more chalked up soon i reckon . There could do with a bit more culling of certain actors on the street, either stephen could do it with his trusty hole punch ..... or maybe a light aircraft could crash onto the street and wipe out a few regulars - or even another tram crash , i would be up for that if it happened again - its been a few years since the last one.

I'm really hoping Stephen finishes off Michael Bailey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I hope he finishes of Elaine.

Always the worst soap storyline when there's a serial killer and they don't kill anyone of great importance, or clear out the dead wood.

• Advertisement

He sort of caused Rana's death also.

Treated Ali terribly also.

Advertisement