Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

With some luck Rory will shoot the lights out early and then the bad weather will kick in tomorrow. Serious scoring, really hope it doesn't descend into a birdie fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

As a big rory fan, I can see how he'd have haters with the way sky relentlessly push him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,611 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was sure Rory was going to miss that par putt on the 18th, it's been that sort of day. Such a mixed bag. He's his work cut out already to try and win this elusive tournament. And yet another poor first round start, though not as bad as some of his others.

Play starting 30 mins earlier tomorrow to take into account the forecasted weather

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I haven't read the thread but has strassenwolf arrived yet to complain about sandy lyle being in the tournament yet ? About the space he was taking from someone else ?

• Advertisement

Nowhere near as bad as the American coverage of Woods. He's not even in the running and they kept showing him. One particular shot, he didn't play it well, awkward stance, ball on the fairway, he was stood in the bunker, yet they showed 4 different replays from 4 different angles. The sooner he's fully retired, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rory is a streaky putter ...but would take a miracle to solve his putting overnight ...isn't going to happen sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Really thought that last round last year might slay the mental demons Rory has about Augusta. But they seem to be back stronger than ever. Whatever hope he had was to focus on every shot but instead he is basically giving interviews mid round. He was saying a few weeks ago that the off course media work was impacting his game. Now it seems the only time he isn't giving interviews is in the middle of his back swing. Insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Yes! I came in on page 3.

You have a good memory!

As expected, Sandy is there at the bottom of the board, with an 81 in the first round. His 25th missed cut at the Masters awaits later today.

Of the former champions who have deserved a place in the field, I am surprised to see Bernhard Langer at +3. He is usually very good around this track.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, he was in within the first 2 pages I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I thought the Sky coverage of Liv golfers was interesting, it seemed like they really only showed the minimum they had to like Koepka/Reed/Smith making birdie/eagle attempts. Maybe I'm reading into it too much and it was normal coverage 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Tee times moved up 30 mins on Friday due to inclement weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It is getting a bit embarrassing at this stage, he is dragging the arse out of it. Currently in last place. A nice week out for him though I suppose. I’d be doing the same as him btw. I have no shame either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is it just me or do the greens look very poor this year? I watched a few slower Putts where the ball was zig-zagging coming up to the hole. Nothing to do with slope, more with imperfections in the green. The kind of thing you see at a budget pitch and putt course that rarely change the pins. Or a bad pool table.

The commentators won't say a thing obviously because they have a gun to their head when they enter the "Property". But I felt there were a few holes where the roll on the greens were eratic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Koepka starting well.

Koepka up to -10...not bad for a lad who thinks he couldn't compete

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Of all the Liv players Koepka is the only one I'd like to see win the green jacket. Would make for great drama with the rumours he wants out of Liv

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Is that the bs rumour that Brad F is spreading 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It's been a rumor for a while now, was first mentioned about five or six weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think it's time for Rory to think about Augusta and his whole approach (again). He seems to want it too much and he reserves his worst performances for here even though he will probably finish with a flourish once again to back into a top 10 or 15.

• Advertisement

I see Rory has dropped a shot in his first 2 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭bamayang

2 over now. Horror show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

Another gone at 3 from a drive to the edge of the green. It's beginning to look like a weekend off unless he turns it around very quickly. Either way, he's right out of contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Jesus wept, Rory 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

As I said he’s just not able for any pressure of expectation. And talking to commentators n the studio mid round? Ridiculous and hubristic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

There really aren’t any half measures with Rory. If he’s not playing well, he can’t string two good shots together.

At least can enjoy the rest of the weekend focusing just on the leaders

And now Rory is +2 after 4. He'll do well to make the weekend if he keeps this up, never mind winning the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Advertisement