Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ryanair plane on way

Options
  • 01-04-2023 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

I just clicked onto flight radar. Looked at the details of a few planes. Imagine my surprise when I got one,a Ryanair, flying from Seattle to Shannon. I am assuming it's brand new. Wonder how soon it will be in the air with fare payers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The arrivals of new 737 MAX (or 8-200 as Ryanair prefers to call it) have been happening almost weekly since Boeing restarted deliveries. They usually go to Dublin though and tend to be put into service quite quickly. Interesting to see one going to Shannon.

Between September 2022 and June 2023, Ryanair expected 51 aircraft to be delivered by Boeing, that has been revised down slightly to 45 but is still an improvement on the previous estimate of 35-40 due to Boeings ongoing production difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

That's the second one this week - the other one also went to SNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Are they flown by Boeing delivery pilots ?

They've always been flown by Ryanair crews. Is there such a thing as "Boeing delivery pilots"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for the info.

I don't know if there are Boeing delivery pilots.

Seems like a long haul for pilots who wouldn't normally do such long distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

How many pilots would be on board, 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was thinking just this.

But if you book a flight, do you know what plane will be flying your route?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You'd better pretty much give up on flying Ryanair then, that's all I've been on for the last while with them.

And do you really think the flight crew would be happily flying them all over the place if there was still a risk? (I know there's always a risk, there's a risk if you step outside your front door - but the software/computer glitch that caused those crashes has been fixed, presumably to all the professionals' satisfaction)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's more dangerous to travel to an airport than flying. Do you use roads? Taking your life in your hands using them roads.

Am I the only person who though it was going to be some Ryanair Aprils fools?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

I think they have the issue sorted now and pilots are well aware of the past issues.... It's a pity so many people had to lose their lives over the mess Boeing handed them in the beginning. Down right criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have been treated no differently by Ryanair than any other short haul airline - they have all pared their service to the bone, and there is not an ounce of pleasure left in flying any more - you're cutting off your nose to spite your face with that ridiculous old-fashioned snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Sorry. It I’ve been on them many times and yet to have an issue.

No offence, but adopting your attitude will mean nobody flies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Expressing an opinion about the 737-8-200, or the 737 Max is OK, calling people a clown, that's not, which is why there's been deletions. A repeat will result in a ban

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Ryanair fly plenty of medium-length routes - Dublin to the Canaries and return is an obvious example - so a single direct flight of nine hours or so is no longer in terms of crew duty times. Earlier types weren't capable of such non-stop delivery flights but it's no longer anything dramatic. Virtually all of Ryanair's 737-800s and all of their MAXes have been flown directly from Seattle to Ireland - that's several hundred aircraft at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

There's still decent service available on short haul – particularly in Asia – but not in Europe sadly.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Your putting your life in the pilot's hands just like every other plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The whole thing was a fudge to allow what in reality was a new plane model to get an existing type rating. For me personally the whole software appraisal system is simply too badly compromised.

Ryanair not calling it the Max in itself is a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I was flying on a Max to Murcia last week. First time the plane was used. There was no food, drink or even water available on the plane for our flight.

The staff just sat around for the duration. The staff area at the top of the plane is so tight that they spent their time just standing beside the toilet and exit door.

I have flown three times on the Max now and to be honest I prefer the older planes. On the older planes the seats are more comfortable. Also the air thing above your head is very weak on the Max, very little cool air.

Row two on the Max (door side) is also classed as an emergency exit seat, so you can't have your second carry on bag at your feet, it has to go in to the locker.

I was sitting in Row two A which has no seat in front of it, which was great.

When booking my seats I now avoid Row two on the Max because of the issue of not allowing you to have your second bag available to you on take off and landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Interesting fact but following the second MAX crash in Ethiopia, it was actually statistically significantly more dangerous to fly on a MAX than it was to drive to the airport, by an order of magnitude.

I would imagine though since the reintroduction of the MAX and the number of safe flights it’s had since then that that statistic no longer stands. Just remember it being interesting at the time that the two crashes happening so early after the release of the MAX could skew the statistics like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭youtheman

I know a Ryanair pilot and he has being doing those delivery flights for years.

He goes to Seattle and either does the 'Delivery Flight', or he goes there a few days early to do the 'Acceptance Flight' and then the 'Delivery Flight. The acceptance flight has one Ryanair Pilot, a Boeing Pilot and a Boeing Engineer in the jump seat. They do tests that you would not normally do (check the stick shaker, shut down one engine in flight and depressurize the cabin). The Ryanair pilot needs a specific 'test rating' on his/her license. For the delivery flight you just need to have done a few of them previously 'under supervision'. The aircraft has to be fitted with a HF radio for transocean comms, and this is removed when it arrives at base. Only 2 pilots on board. They normally leave in the evening U.S. time and fly through the night and arrive early morning in Dublin. Aircraft then needs some minor mods before it is put into revenue service.

Normally makes it to Dublin in one go. Once he had to drop into (don't know if it was Greenland or Iceland!) for fuel as they had strong headwinds all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I would have thought that as they are flying light, with no passangers, cargo, or baggage the range would have been fine. Or is it like picking up a new car and the dealership sends you out with enough fuel to just get out the gate? 😃

They normally arrive in Ireland mid-afternoon, given the time zone difference between Seattle and here. Last couple of deliveries have routed to Shannon and now that Ryanair have their own hangar there, maybe that's going to be the norm from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Could well be. Less holding, slightly shorter flight, could be better for these longer routes. Could well be the longest flight the aircraft ever takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I remember going to London quite a few times in the early 80s. i was earning about 40 quid a week. The best airfare was about 170-180 return and had to include a saturday night overnight . The daytime ferry and train was 55 and the nighttime was 45 . As a result i became quite familiar with Crewe railway station around 3-4am

I met Michael O'Leary once and was only short of kissing his feet . Since Ryanair really embraced low fares in the mid 90s i have seen many parts of Europe that i might only have dreamt about years before. I can visit my cousin near London for a day trip and spend more on my Dublin airport car parking than on my return airfare

so if there isnt any fancy cabin service on board Ryanair flights, no problem with me as i havent paid for it as i would have had to with Aer Lingus or similar , whether i wanted to or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Wow, You are stirring some memories with Your post. I remember Crewe railway station well, well it’s darkness. Remember the B & I ferry? I used to go to football matches most weekends.

Thanks for the memory trip here👏👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

The added value of Ryanair is that when they launch a route, the exiting monopoly/duopoly flyer typically then reduces their fares to compete. So all flyers benefit.

Where Ryanair have a monopoly, they aren't beyond milking the traveller either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Except those that would rather pay more for a higher standard of service.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

True - people will also be willing to pay for service but it comes down to the differential. Also the case that many businesses nowadays will benchmark costs of flights and not as easy as it was to choose preferred airlines.

I should add that many of the legacy carriers follow Ryanair business models. Charge for bags and seats and food - plus are less punctual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Odelay

If there was a market for people looking to pay more for a higher standard of service then the old legacy carriers would still be operating charging the guts of a grand today one way to London.

Advertisement