Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I think they should pay more if they've stabilisers personally, take up more of the road, and 4 wheels make more impact on the road

😡

Kermit, people a lot smater than you have figured out that to solve traffic you have to PAY people to cycle (via bike to work scheme) rather than charging them.

Keep the cracking ideas coming tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

folks, don't forget that the best way to deal with an argument you think is silly is to simply ignore it. unless you're having fun tackling it, in which case, have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I'm curious to know why the poster thinks I should pay €160 per year in "Road tax" to cycle my bike, compared with the €400 motor tax I pay for my car.

And what about my electric cargo bike, does that get taxed differently to my hybrid bike, and differently again to my road bike? Or does one tax payment cover all 3 bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Are you available to take a collect call from Amsterdam? Or Copenhagen?

I’d actually be quite interested in your plan being implemented.

The amount of cars it would put back on the road and having the likes of yourself fuming about the traffic would be just glorious. 😍😍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think @Kermit.de.frog is busy reading up on the details I gave him from Paris. I’ll just leave Barcelona here as the next exemplar, for whenever he’s ready.

I’d be interested to know where @Kermit.de.frog got the idea that motorists subsidise cyclists, when in fact, it is motorists who are heavily subsidised by society overall.

When will those motorist freeloaders start paying their way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had a go of my kids bike there today. Under the new regime would I be liable to prosecution cycling his bike without road tax?

What would the penalty be? Could I deny I was the one cycling and have the owner face the judge?

Could they apply penalty points to my son's licence when he is 18?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In order for a successful prosecution, I guess cyclists would need to be licenced, regardless of age. Then when stopped by a garda, you have to show your licence. That will stop 5 year old Mary from almost killing lots of people on the footpath.

Each bike would also need a rear licence plate which would need to be visible from a short-medium distance so maybe the same size and font as the plates on a car.

I knew Kermit was onto a winner of an idea and to my credit, I was the first to commend them on what really isn't a really stupid idea! Its mad to think that this golden opportunity hasn't been adopted by any country around the world.

If you weren't wearing your mandatory high-viz and helmet I'm reporting you. That'll be 6 points on your bicycling licence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do i pay half the tax if i use a unicycle? maybe KdF is an undercover agent for the unicycle industry, who see this as their best way to drive sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Thanks for spending your money to give me a decent and safe cycle lane. Really appreciate it.

Come back and talk about cyclists when motorists start paying their fare share to use the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And when motorists pay their fair share for using footpaths. And green spaces. Lot of vandalism there to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Lol that’s more than I pay on my car, but carry on. You’re entertaining in a painful sort of way 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyway that was a nice bit of entertainment from an actual muppet. I'm back in Dublin now and was dropping into Westwood to see about joining and couldn't help but go along the cycle path and loop back on Alfie Byrne road. It's pretty cool alright, I really hope it gets more kids cycling to my old school there but it just makes Fairview look so much nicer. It's wider than I thought it would be, no issues with that at all for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Kincora2017

It really does make that whole area feel and look much better. I took the kids to the playground in Fairview Park there last weekend. We walked over the overpass and I was blown away by the landing area on the park side. It’s wide, has really good materials throughout, the trees were great, nice seating..I could go on. I was just extremely impressed.

There wasn’t too many cyclists going through which obviously helped the first impression from a pedestrian point of view. I think it’s vital for the success of the overall project that the “shared spaces” elements of the project work, so thr backs of the bus shelters, this pedestrian bridge etc., and this certainly is positive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I can understand people feeling put out due to the disruption caused in doing the works (most of which is due to the trunk watermain being replaced) but it takes a special kind of bitterness to not think the end result is far better than how the area was before.

Loads of car drivers, who don’t care about the area, just their way through it.

And some disgruntled failed businessmen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

With east wall road closed over Easter is the plan to have the new bit of the cycle lane leading to Alfie Byrne road finished over the two weeks? Saw some plastic removable fences there this week but was only passing quickly through

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I agree with a lot of your posts but this one is below the belt. Fairview and North Strand are not kips - they are real places with real people from a diversity of social classes and ethnicities. Genuine vibrant city neighbourhoods that deserve more respect. I know a lot of people just drive or cycle or commute through and have different 'uses' for the area, but that comment annoys the hell out of me as a Fairview resident and a Dubliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We don't have to agree but I always thought fairview was very polluted and noisy. The massive road ruins it. I lived there myself for a while and it was always a bit of a hostile environment due to traffic. I'm only really talking about the main streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I can’t believe how well it has been landscaped. It looks really upmarket. I honestly thought that quality of finish was reserved for the south side, has been one of my gripes over the years.

Right, but you called it a kip. Of course it has problems, and like almost every part of Dublin it has traffic and road layout problems too. The roads layout is not that unique compared to other areas. Drumcondra. Finglas. Donnybrook. Stillorgan. The list is long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭trellheim

I went over yesterday to take a look at the new cycle track bit on Fairview park

superficial, fixable

1. Both ends topped and tailed with fencing - dumps you out onto the road - fixable when it gets added onto.
    2. No signage - fixable
    3. Entries from Howth Road and Malahide Road very temporary with just a rough tarmac on-ramp - fixable

Personal bugbears

1. For a lot of it, if you miss the (narrow ) entry ramps you are trapped on the road by hedging. This seems to be a design decision ( same on the quays) to deliberately make cycle lanes inaccessible except at the first entry point (e.g. if you miss crossing to the right at Arran Quay immediately on the short cycle lights , you can't enter the cycle lane) . The above mentioned narrow entry points mean its very easy to miss the main on-ramps if you are coming off one of the side roads
    2. Compare the above to the Chesterfield avenue on the Phoenix park where the cycle lanes are simple to enter at any point ( and dont have anyone parking in or on them).
    3. Maybe I'm missing something but is this a two-way track ? If so what's the plan for northbound cyclists to Malahide Road/Howth Road as it doesn't seem to be set up for them at all , no place to congregate and quite narrow ( scratch that I've looked at the plans its one-way, can't help but feel theyre missing a trick here in the sense that yes I can see the northbound lane far away on the other side of the road, but keeping all/most of the cyclists on the parkside would seem better to me )

I would have interpreted that as a slight against infrastructure in the area, and not the people. I think it's about time the area had an improvement, as the people deserve it.

Post edited by Citizen Six on

It's a one-way track on each side of the road, as you twigged. That's the way the design evolved through the consultation process etc (although I'm not sure a two-way was ever really entertained). One way each side seems more practical for an inner-suburb to city centre track all the same, with the amount of people joining from each side at each junction? Maybe I'm wrong.

If it was a point to point track from (say) Raheny to city centre then a 2 way track on one side would be the way to go. I think the actual design serves better the cyclists in the local areas and places like Croke Park/Tolka Park and anyone who needs to go up to those areas

• Advertisement

A 2 way track would be tricky for those coming outbound, at some point cyclists would have to cross the road outbound to get to the cycle track, and again when the cycle path ends.

Advertisement