Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It is not an offence for an asylum seeker to arrive in a new country without a passport or ID. It is estimated that around 40% of refugees worldwide don't have a passport and have never held one. It is not an offence either for an asylum seeker to arrive either with or without a fake passport on their person. It doesn't materially affect their asylum claim one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

In my opinion it has nothing to do with tough borders. Word has probably gotten out that all is not as rosy as previously thought and arrivals are going to be put up in cramped and uncomfortable accommodation or even worse homeless.

For Ukrainians it might still be worth it since they are supported very well financially. There's even a special sign in Paris pointing toward Ireland.

It's good that arrivals through the airport are down but that must be tempered by the fact that there was recently a record numbers of arrivals across the English channel. A percentage of them will be choosing Ireland as a destination.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/national/23439845.437-migrants-cross-channel-day-record-2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

i.e. open borders, when you claim we haven't......

Also, it is impossible to get on an airplane anywhere in the world without documentation, so what happened it between getting on the plane and getting off?

These people are scammers, pure and simple.

International refugee law and the ECHR etc say absolutely nothing about asylum seekers needing to have passports or documentation on them when they arrive in the country where they want to claim asylum - so it's largely irrelevant whether they have a passport, no passport or a false one on them. It doesn't really affect the validity of their claim one way or the other.

A person could have a false passport but still be a genuine refugee - it may be that they didn't have a passport when they fled their country of origin and have no way of obtaining one now i.e. someone fleeing the Taliban in Afghanistan would have no way of getting an Afghan passport in order to leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

They're not even sure who's in yon hotel never mind in the country.... 🤣

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

not open borders no, just international law.

ireland doesn't have, never will have and never has had open borders.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

What is the difference between:

Open Borders and Borders through which anyone, regardless of having no documentation whatsoever, can freely enter?

A big difference. Normal people visiting a country for work or leisure purposes will require a passport or other ID and visas etc.

But people fleeing a war zone or natural disaster or whatever can hardly be expected to have a load of appropriate travel documentation on them. If they are making a claim for asylum and seeking shelter, then they don't need to establish their identity at immigration control at the airport. This can be done at a later date, as they are now in the protection of the state.

So..........

It's open borders, but only for people who don't have a passport?

• Advertisement

"Open borders" is a pretty loaded term. Not everyone who arrives at Dublin Airport and asks to claim asylum is allowed do so. We're also hearing that people are being intercepted abroad by Gardai before they even board a flight to Ireland and are prevented from travelling. That doesn't sound like open borders. As I said further up, we actually have one of strictest immigration controls in all of Europe.

How many are stopped at the airport? I understand from the media that effectively none are. Given that it appears to be close to impossible to get deported afterwards, we effectively have open borders, loaded term or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Seriously...when people come to this country under false pretenses, like ripping up a passport, that is an excuse enough to deport you permanently. You are dishonest from the get go.

When you are causing 'Serious' antisocial behaviour at accommodation you are not putting your hand in your pocket to pay for...that again is a ticket permanently out of here, never to be seen again.

What sort of red flags, sirens blaring warning shots etc etc etc do you want? It's blatantly obvious they are free loading trouble makers.

I simply don't want this kind of person here, they will add nothing to the community at all.

I detest this government for misspending money on this shoite and potentially putting my family and friends in danger.

We are a flipping island for Flips sake. How much easier is it to police the border.

there is no real proof that the amount of people ripping up documentation is that big in reality, there has been the odd case of it but really it seems to be hugely over-stated and hiped up.

more likely they don't have any in the first place or when fleeing they have left it behind.

"serious" anti-social behaviour means different things to different people all be it there will be some aspects that there is general agreement on.

either way it's not of itself enough to require deportation unless it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the individual genuinely is a danger for which generally they are deported i believe all be it obviously some do slip through the net unfortunately.

either way, our immigration controls and policies are fine, we just need the staff to enforce them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

more likely they don't have any in the first place or when fleeing they have left it behind.

How'd they manage to get on the plane, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

My very strong opinions on this topic are not up for discussion or negotiation. Pardon the Pun...It's the end of the road so no point typing out a long reply and wasting your time.

I'm a teacher and a mother, seeing a lot of the **** sides of mass immigration and the negatives of a surging population and I come here to vent!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The next time an election comes, Irish people need to discount the parties backed by NGOs. Particularly Varadkar whose been recently trying to position himself as some sort of quasi Cameron type conservative. Whatever party the NGOs and the media are demonising...that is the party to vote for.

Would these lads fit the bill?

I haven't actually heard the Irish Refugee Council et al 'demonising' them as yet but I think we can safely say they wouldn't be too impressed

However, a private, invite-only Ireland First Telegram group paints a much darker picture of the party’s priorities...

One post shared in the group bemoans the number of black models featured in a German fashion magazine and states: “Hitler did nothing wrong.”

Some members are also not above speaking in explicitly violent terms. “The 160 c**ts need to be dragged out of the Dáil,” posted one in reference to TDs.

Taoiseach Derek Blighe? Just a matter of time I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

I’d rather vote him than Rodders O’Gormless in.

The false passports thing has usually nothing to do with criminality or illegality. Invariably what happens is that the person has no passport at all (in many war torn or troubled countries it is virtually impossible to even apply for one), but the only way they can board a plane to their destination safe country is with a fake passport, which they have usually purchased out of desperation, not because they are criminals.

Once they are on the plane to the country which they intend to claim asylum, they no longer need the fake passport as they can hardly put in an asylum claim using false documentation. Referring to such genuine refugees or asylum seekers fleeing a war zone as criminals or "illegal", as our far right friends do all the time, is unhelpful and inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Oh come on - you don't believe that. I mean, if you do, I'm a Nigerian prince and I need access to your bank account to move some funds.

Really though, I'm not a Nigerian prince. But if you're as willing to volunteer up your bank account details as your country then I'd at least admire your commitment to the cause of naivety.

• Advertisement

What are you talking about? I never claimed "hords (sic) of migrants (sic) running around ireland (sic) (sic) raping and assalting (sic)" I mean, it sounds bad so whatever it is, I'm probably against it.

I never mentioned any country outside of Ireland?

You sure you replied to the right poster?

thankfully they don't need to be up for negotiation or discussion, the government quite rightly aren't going to take them into account when forming policy, they will take actual evidence.

there is no mass migration to ireland, the "negatives" you are claiming to see are what you want to see, they are proof of nothing.

Many refugees simply don't possess a passport and have never held one....perhaps close to one in every two refugees. Are you suggesting that any refugee that enters a safe country without a passport should be refused leave to claim asylum?

That wouldn't even work at any level. A truck containing 30 bona fide refugees hidden in the back could land at Rosslare Port. Deporting those people because they happen not to have passports on them would be in breach of every international law going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah it's great to see the oul story telling tradition alive and well in this day and age all the same, renowned the world over the Irish ability to tell an oul sceal (as we call it round these parts) with a straight face it is

Yes. Deport them all. If they claim they X is some hell hole where they seek refuge from, the very minimum evidence we should require is that they actually come from X. Equally, Ireland - and by extension the EU - should end all diplomatic and economic relations with X. Because X is a hell hole from which humans must escape.

If there's no evidence they come from X, then however bad it is in X, they don't come from there. Right?

you implied such would happen and are happening.

you said "So its totally fine to import hundreds of thousands of fighting age foreign men on the lash and hope everything turns out for the best.

The consequences - the murders, the rapes, the assaults - are so blatantly obvious and unavoidable that I can only hope that they are exclusively visited upon the people who champion mass migration. Those people deserve the them. However, the sad reality is that a lot of innocents will suffer"

very clear what you meant and i responded to that.

you can't bs the roadster chap, so best not trying.

The roadster...Christ almighty. A legend in your own lunchbox.

"Many refugees simply don't possess a passport and have never held one"

How did they get on a plane then? By asking nicely?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

Whats interesting as well is how much aid Ireland and other Western countries are supplying to countries who are committing human rights abuses.

The first thing that should be done is to threaten to cut off any funding and also to restrict people from doing business/making transfers to that country. The reason a country like Eritrea is still able to function is because western nations give it tons of aid and also refugees from the country send back money, they have absolutely no impetus to change and the West is essentially funding human rights abuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Advertisement