Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Star Trek & Wars aren't mutually exclusive: I have enjoyed both franchises down the years in their own respective ways. Both have experienced a bit of a lull of late - and interestingly, both due to the same small clique of talent-challenged Hollywood colleagues with Abrams & Kurtzman ramming their "vision" come hell or high water.

Trek seems to be on an upward swing, however faltering, while Andor is increasingly looking like the exception proving the rule over Star Wars' own quality. Though Abrams isn't to blame for the whiff of rubbish off of Disney+ Star Wars - that'd be Dave Filoni suffocating his shows with his toybox approach.

And my god if there was ever a word I was far beyond sick of hearing / reading... ... it's "woke". .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Óh and it's you who determines that message is it? At the tíme nothing was discussed so ST was important but you didn't hear uhura whining about being an oppressed black women. She stood on her own abilities.

Nowadays everything is seen through race and gender. The individual seemingly has no agency or responsibility. That was not the message I took from 60s trek.

Don't get me wrong I'm in favour of gender quotos and positive discrimination but seemingly everything now must be seen through male vs females. White vs black etc

I will call you what you want to be called

But I won't pretend that a biological female is exactly the same as a transgender female.

I wont ask white males to apologise for everything. Look at our medicine. Our science etc.

The message of the 1960s should not be total victimhood.

A lot of white males are in abject poverty but seemingly they should still be thankful?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

As annoying as some find bringing up "woke" the counter complaining is just as annoying to me.

• Advertisement

Fair, but it's such an overused word at this stage it's beyond a broken record or reflex. Scanning back through the thread it was a weird, OTT escalation that started the segue in the first place ... but I'm just so very, very sick of that word getting trotted out the moment anything black, female or vaguely inclusive even so much as politely coughs in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Discovery is crap but the one thing it did right was to finally confirm after 50 years of Trek that every single LGBT human in existence hadn't been wiped out in some sort of uber-holocaust some time between the 21st and 22nd centuries. And while Gray was annoying as **** and I don't think anyone will disagree about that, there's absolutely no difference in representation terms between having say Paul Stamets on screen as it was to have Uhura on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,562 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Star Trek had gay people. It's just they were all evil and from the Mirror Universe.

Looking back on it Dax and Worf was a crap story. There are hints throughout that she was very sexually adventurous but then ends up with that traditionalist bore.She could have worked as Star Treks first poly-amourus bisexual.

Grey was a missed opportunity. It's not all that progressive to have the trans character dating the non binary one and then taken in by the gay couple. Have the trans character date a known heterosexual character and have none of the crew bat an eyelid at it.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

A lot of the time when it come to woke it's not the series itself but the ten million blog articles along the lines of "ZOMG! Star Trek Finally Has a <insert identity> and Her Are 50 Reasons Why That Matters." I've pretty much given up on al sci-fi sites because of that.

There's an internal consistency problem, which wouldn't be a first for STD, with someone like Gray in the Federation where medical technology has advanced to the point that... (I got a warning last time I went too specific on this point)

Just try not reading the blogs.

If your sick of it you could also try not going on about it here. Pretty sure you are one of the ones usually starts these arguments.

As for sci-fi Camina Drummer was an open bisexual in a poly relationship with her I think 7 person crew. No one in world gave a sht and that's how it should be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Another show in Development??? for a revival. Didn't know it was even been considered?

Speaking of story, the Star Trek: Voyager revival will clearly need a very different premise than that of the original. To base the new series on the older heroes getting lost a second time in the Delta Quadrant or anywhere else would simply be laughable. We don’t know what that story will be just yet, but when we know, we’ll make sure you know.

Would that be of interest to anyone?

I think we were just fortunate that "The Expanse" was niche so stayed off the gobshites' radar and we could all have fun discussing the actual show without exhausting discussions about "straight white male" quotas and the like.

I've pretty much given up on all sci-fi sites because of that.

You could scroll up a dozen or so posts before blaming me for this one.

Post edited by Evade on

Certainly not blaming you for this one. Blaming you for many others.

That could just mean the possible 7of9 show or it could be balls like all the other shows "in development"

My apologies for the rant on woke.

Exactly what series has definitely been approved?

Star Trek : Academy I think is the only definite one. It looks very likely to be a Disco spin off.

The rest are all "in development"

The Expanse struggled to get 6 seasons out of its run, cos as Stark says, it stayed niche, staying out of the limelight of not just shítheads getting upset about things that don't effect them directly.

Thank you for reminding me we'll never get those final 3 books adapted though. Boo. Maybe more shítheads might have turned more heads to see what the fuss was about.

And you always harp on about memberberries we all have our quirks, IDIC and all that.

The final 3 books are such a departure though that it would be stupid to make them now. Time is on our side with hose books.

It was also just well written.

Trek was always at its best when the morals were part of the story and not BE the story.

Ira Steven Behr is on record that it was a studio decision that there be no gay DS9 storylines and he's regretful that he didn't push it further

• Advertisement

Ya Garak was "played gay" by Robinson and when Berman found out he found it far less disgusting to push a story of Garak practically grooming a young woman.

Berman also gave Kira a special uniform and Dax a push up bra. In Bermans defense Roddenberry would have definitely approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I never understood why they dipped their toes into the final three books on Laconia when they knew the show was ending. Still some kf the best sci-fi since BSG

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A Voyager Rivial?

I'd prefer something brand new post Picard.

Give me a show on a Starship exploring the outer edges of Federation space in the 25th century. No universe ending sh1te, just mysterious discoveries, problems to solve, and occasional holodeck malfunction.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Rawr

A Voyager Continuation maybe. Actually try to pull off the season-long Year of Hell that they wussed out of doing and turned into a 2-parter. Since the current trend are season-long arcs it might actually suit streaming.

Would seem needlessly mean-spirited to put the whole original crew through that. I’d say; put a Captain Paris and his sidekick / first officer Kim in charge of a new “Voyager A” and her crew. Then have them re-thread some of the places they visited before, but with some kind of twist. Maybe the Talaxians now head a vicious empire and are the villains now, and Voyager A need help from the Kazon (now headed by Seska’s kid) to survive. Something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Voyager TNG - it worked before

I'd sling the Voyager chatter onto the same pile as all the other stuff surfacing of late, like the Dominion War show etc; seems the only one that might have legs is the Captain Shaw spinoff... which has been bizarre, speaking as someone who hasn't watched Picard Season 3, to hear about a facet of it people apparently love (a first for that series!).

Clearly whatever way you look at it, Paramount wanna make more Trek, and sense goodwill and enthusiasm for more - and more of a certain type. You'd hope the right lessons are being slowly learned.

Paris and co. does sound good as an outline but I don't see much more than a season out of it.

For the bajillionth time, they should just do an anthology series to get all these little potentially interesting stories out of the way.

Yeah I'd like see some sort of short continuation to Voyager but don't have the appetite for a full blown series. Endgame ended so abruptly, didn't even get to see the ship land on Earth/crew beam off. We did get to see snippets in later series thankfully. We know Janeway makes Admiral, Chatokay (and presumably Torres) get pardoned and welcomed back into Starfleet. But what happens to the Doctor, does Harry Kim finally get his promotion to Lt. JG, how does the crew adapt to a Federation post Dominion War. What was it like reconnecting with family/friends after a 7 year absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Rawr

Shaw’s a bit of a break-out character In Picard S3. I’m guessing he’s having a bit of a Pike effect and might actually get that spinoff.

For Shaw imagine a gruffier Lorca, but not evil, and occasionally pleasant. You get why he’s pissed off, which mightbe part of the appeal.

• Advertisement

There was a bit of rounding his character there.

Chastising 7 for not blowing the turbo lift and that small inaction could affect billions of people. He understands the stakes and showing 7 that she's not there yet.

He'll call her Commander 7 by the end.

Getting worrying vibes though that he'll do that as his last act before doing a hero death.

Wonder if they've accidentally brought in the best original character, since Flox, only to have them planned as a tragic death springboard for a 7of9 show...

Anyone else notice how much better Sirtis acting is when she's allowed use her normal accent?

Advertisement