Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmer spraying glyphosate onto property.

Options
  • 08-04-2023 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Last week a farmer was spraying his crops in a field which is essentially between 5 to 10 meters from my front door if that. He was using a beast of a tractor from what I could make out anyway as this was at night time. The field is full of yellow tall flowers which i assume are rapeseed. I have a wife and a 2 year old son. My wife's elderly parents also stay semi routinely with us. Can someone explain who has expertise on the subject how dangerous this is? Me and my wife eat as much organic as we can due to previous health issues and I don't want my young son to be exposed to all that stuff either, also her parents are quite old and i understand that glyphosate is a cartician.

How many times a year do they spray the chemicals on the crops? He was going full blast at it at night almost coming onto the property with the nozzles of the tractor. Will i have to expect more sprays and chemicals year round or is it a one off shot? How long till its safe to open windows and dry clothes again so residue doesn't come inside or come on the clothes I don't know how easily it can be spread across with winds and stuff. Someone was saying they now have special nozzles on their tractors to stop residue from spreading but i don't know about that. the way he was doing it looked like it was being sprayed out all over the place. i thought there's buffer zones with this **** to protect neighbors? is the glyphosate diluted to where its not harmful only if you're literally eating the crops its sprayed on farmers on yt where saying its 90 per cent water 10 per cent chemicals in spray?

Post edited by greysides on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭JamBur

Speak to your neighbour, he is probably reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Has any grass or plants on your property died.

If not it's unlikely any glycophoshate made it onto your property and so there should be no risk to the health of you and your family.

Also have you spoken to the farmer, if not he could have been spraying something other than glycophosphate, perhaps even an organic fertiliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You are living in the countryside. Are you new to it?

There will be farmer spraying crops.

Spraying at that level is carried out by qualified persons only. That means the person doing it is aware of the legal requirements around what is allowed / Not allowed as well as best practice etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DanOffaly

The land was sold a while ago. I never paid much attention to it before or noticed anything growing on the other side, used to be cows out there and there's a little bit of a ditch that separates property from field. Sure enough looks like big rapeseed crops now. I also haven't a clue who the farmer is. Worse case scenario can I expect much of this or is that it sprayed for the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why are you assuming it is glycophosphate? Why would he be spraying it on a growing crop? If you are going to live in a rural area you can expect spraying - whatever about the desirability of it. I have family with issues relating to spraying. They moved to an area that is rural but not surrounded by fields. The only person locally who has occasion to spray glycophosphate rings them and lets them know when spraying is likely to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Unlike the local person you mentioned, this spraying person did not ring the op to say when and what he was spraying. So it's fair for a non farmer to assume its glyphosate as oppose to sprayable fertileser, which is a relatively new system.

I cant answer you op, as I'm not up on the tillage farming, but you've asked in a nice way what to expect, and I hope you get genuine answers, with out other farmers jumping down your throat.

Nobody can be sure what this person is doing anyway, so tracking down the landuser is the only sure way of finding out.

Thanks I honestly had no clue about this stuff, havent always lived rurally I was a little shocked how close he was to my property with the tractor. Just looking out for our health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

Maybe a photo of the field he was spraying might help us establish what he was spraying, and what he was likely to be spraying on it.

90 per cent its rape seed crops. Tall yellow flowers, sprayed at night from a tractor with the big wings could see the stuff beltering out the nozzle taps. My house might as well of been in the field he was that close. How much more do these lads need to spray for now. I dont know this faarmer as land has been sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Unlikely to have been glyphosate I'd think. Glyphosate is only sprayed on some plant you wish to kill immediately.

It kills by dessication ie: drying the plant out (it is basically a salt type product) so, yes it's sometimes used on cereals right before harvest in order to get a drier grain. Also occasionally on silage if the field is being reseeded afterwards and it causes the dry matter% of the silage to be higher.

Personally i disagree strongly with using it on food for people or animals but there you go, - it's not illegal and some people do it.

It would kill all grass along the margins of the field and if it blew into your site, - possibly your lawn plants or grass.

As others said, try to find out who the farmer is and ask him politely what he sprays and if it could affect your health or property. That will mark his card without causing an argument and he might give your side a miss next time.

More likely to have been some other product anyway, either sprayable seaweed fertilizer or an anti-fungal or something.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Go onto Twitter and ask the question of SiobhWalsh1 and GrowersGrain and include #ArableApril and you'll get an answer. Maybe even from the horse's mouth as well.

Another time personally I'd pass you off with a mineral foliar spray of an answer. But it is your property and it is on the wind right beside you and you have a right to be concerned.

Ask the question, especially if you don't know the operator involved. You will get an answer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

First thing I'll say is the thread title is pretty damning and a serious allegation, which it turns out is most likely horseshit.

Unlikly to be glyphosphate. If it's oilseed, most likely now it's fertiliser. It's blooming now and soon will cover over and stop weeds growing well. Could also be some fung/herb/insect icide. Previous poster suggests getting onto twitter which is a good shout. And no harm either to ask the farmer the next time they are in the field. Explain your concern and don't whatever ya do go ranting about him/her killing you and your family with sprays. Just ask what it is, how often is it happening and if possible could he notify you in advance so ya can shut windows, etc.

Pretty poorly worded title I agree.

I was just concerned for myself and my family.Nothing personal agaisnt anyone I of course know none of this is malclious. I will certainily follow peoples sound advice on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Next time you see someone in the field go to the gate and get their attention. Don't enter the field until they stop, they'll either come to you or signal for you to come to them. Then explain that you live next to the field and ask what they are spraying.

There most likely will be more spraying and as farming is 100% weather dependent it could be at anytime of the day or night.

Edit... Depending on the size and layout of the field they may not be able to stop until they finish the field. So wait till the are on the last few rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

worth noting he may have been spraying later at night or evening as conditions were better (ie no wind). Sprays are expensive. Last thing he wants is it blowing away from the target area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Best advice i can give you is ,its normal pratice and dont worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

That just means that the farmer attended a mandatory course about spraying, irrelevant if the wind is blowing a particular direction

Farmers are famous for proudly not giving a hoot about the concerns of others , think they have a god given right to do what they like on their own land even it’s detrimental to the health of others, pesticides are toxic substances and will be outright banned in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The whole point of spraying is to get it on the crop not all over the country.

As another poster stated spraying late in the evening or at night is because the wind speed has died down completely.

Some will be some will not. However you be glad to know we are starting to spray fertilizer now.

Slava Ukrainii

No opposition to spreading fertiliser here , not some green ideology I assure you but farmers have little regard for their own health, nevermind anyone else’s , pesticides are noxious in terms of fumes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You do realise glyphosate is a herbicide not a pesticide

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭chrisd2019

Why do you not talk directly to the land owner?

You will get a more accurate response from him or her, here you will get speculation and scaremongering.

I can tell you you will know in 10 days if it was the chemical you use in the title and if I crossed onto your plants in any measurable or effective quantity, the plants will turn brown and die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

No, they don't. Also - I wouldn't waste my breath replying to a farmer hating troll who posted that first reply they made.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

A herbicide is a pesticide, as is e.g. an insecticide and a fungicide. Pesticide - the generic name.

But hardly relevant to OP's (legitimate) concerns.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: In life, people are held accountable for their actions. That could "farmers in general" for the actions of their industry, for example, with regard to animal welfare, pollution, biocide use. Or, more specifically, individuals for violating usage regulations or protocols.

And just so there's no misunderstandings, accountability is also applied to individuals who aren't mindful of the F&F forum charter and its rules, requirements and guiding principle of "don't be a dick".

Posts considered to be trolling, or broad negative generalisations of the farming community will not sit well here.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It entirely possible it's glyphosate. It's used extensively on tillage crops including rapeseed.

It doesn't "kill by dessication"; it inhibits proteins in some way and hence growth.

It is used as a dessicant which is a secondary purpose which was never it's initial intended purpose. This has let to a huge increase in the application of glyphate in recent decades especially in damper, e.g. more northern climes.

It is a salt but it's nothing like a "basic salt".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

https://youtube.com/shorts/C9UO93gmY7o?feature=share

When people want cheap food and argue when food increases by a few cent. Then spray and fertilizer is part of farming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Not at this time of year.

Glyphosate is only sprayed on tillage crops before harvest. It’s 2-3 months too early for a tillage man to be using glyphosate on his crops.

If it’s winter oilseed rape then early April would be the timing for a fungicide spray. It may need another application in 4-5 weeks time depending on what is present on the crop and on how long it stays in flower for.

If it turns out that it is glyphosate that has been used then an angry neighbour is the very least of that tillage man’s worries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement