Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

If he was I’d say they might have the sense to not ask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Sure he might as well. He’s playing so bad what difference does it make anyway according to some on here. He can hit another howler and tell us all in real time how horrible it feels. Great insight. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In fairness - Lyle is 14 over and catching Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Doesn’t look like anyone will be giving out about Rory doing a Sandy Lyle in 30 yrs time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

4 flukes.

• Advertisement

I get golf and it can go wrong...but if Tiger finishes below Rory ..that is wrong on every level in my head....I don't get it...

I get it, the guy won a major with a broken leg, different mindset.

I get all that...but still ridiculous...have the likes of couples too...

Ya I know what you mean, I think it’s a head thing, the standard is so high that it’s no surprise he didn’t win, but to play so bad is a head scratcher.

Whilst the course looks set up easy enough (slow on greens ) - nothing mad pin wise. Rory was hitting wild shots and was never really pin high - then on top of all that, his putting was muck. The change of putter definitely doesn't work. As for his caddy - he seem pointless. All the other top players are so involved with their caddy and they guide them around when things are going wrong.

Rory goes into a hole - and goes deeper and deeper. If this lad harry is such a good mate - why can't he talk to him.

• Advertisement

The caddy thing has been done to death, who knows the right or wrong. If he had a caddy with a stronger opinion (not saying his doesn’t), would Mcilroy listen? I doubt it. The “he’s a mercurial player” gets trotted out, but it is now approaching 10 years since his last major and given the undoubted quality of his ability, we have to conclude that either he isn’t good enough (wrong) or he has a mental issue, maybe, with performing at the majors.

Done to death - but the more and more you see of modern golf and improved sound - you see how different Rory is.

And - it could be indicative that - he likes to be his own man (as we know) and he doesn't like input.

Anyway - at the moment - His driving is poor - his irons are wild and his putting is terrible. He seems to be able to bounce back to a great game for periods - he is an enigma.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Did he not say a few days ago that he was gonna win it?? You can call me Mystic Mcllroy because I predict these tings.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kerry_man15

I think he has a huge mental scar since 2011 when he lost the Masters when going into the final round 4 strokes ahead. He choked that year at Augusta and has never looked like winning it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

2011 aside, 2018 was his big chance, he hasn't really come anywhere near apart from that.

As an aside, that final round in 2011 was incredible, probably the best in recent memory for me in terms of excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I don't get it here. It feels like people are genuinely happy to say "I told you so" at the guys expense?

People questioning his mentality is just madness, bar Tiger and a freak year for Brooks the majors have NEVER been dominated by a single player. The quality of the field is incredible. Anyone of the top 50 can win it with a few good rounds.

He was what...8 or so shots behind scottie in the FedEx and won it. He led the open outright for a long period and despite a putting masterclass from Smith he had that won to.

Unlucky Rory

This hasn’t aged well at all.

Assuming you’re a big Rory fan but don’t know much about the game of golf ?

He clearly had no chance after that first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

2011 was the best Masters I’ve ever seen and probably ever will see. Off the top of my head I think something like 7 different players led at different stages on Sunday. It’s always only remember for what happened McIlroy but for me it’s hands down the best Masters.

You think he is just unlucky in the majors? I would have thought it was more a case of him playing poorly in them, and when he has been close since 2014, it being as much about him not being able to get it done as it was the other guy playing well. Doesn’t make him a bad player, just indicates that something doesn’t click for him on the biggest stages anymore. The FedEx is big money, not a major.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mentally he just struggles there, probably wants it too much and builds it up too much in his head. Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever win it.

His best bet I think would be no practice rounds, no interviews, just arrive at Augusta Thursday morning warm up and tee off.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I don't think it's right to say that negative comments here mean every poster is saying I told you so.

McIlroy can play unreal in every PGA event this year but if that performance level drops off for the majors, like it did and constantly does at the Masters, then it's proof of the mental burden majors place on him. I don't think people can say here that McIlroy is able for this level of competition by looking at his ranking etc. This level of performance we're talking about isn't just winning PGA events, it's winning majors. And his performances especially at Augusta have nosedived. Backdoor top ten finishes don't count.

His very first tee shot where it went way left or right was the early sign. He nearly could've packed up then and gone home.

I think there's enough evidence to show that the Masters has completely overwhelmed him mentally. It's very disappointing as a sports fan to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

What are you implying? That this should be a Rory appreciation thread only, no criticism or analysis.

He hasn’t won a major in 9 years. For a guy who has been either World No 1 or close to it all during that time something is wrong. People are going to question that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Disappointed we wont get to see Mcilroys usual superb low round when hes completely out of contention and the heat is off.......

Theres always next year....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

I said he needed to be closer to the lead after round 2 and he’d still be in the hunt. He wasn’t, had a disastrous 2nd round and he’s gone. That’s how it goes sometimes, he’ll go again at the next one I’m sure and you can be back hoping for him to fail again.

As regards how much I know about golf, well I suppose I have my opinions and other people have theirs and like anything it’s up for debate who’s talking rubbish and who’s not.

It has felt like that on this thread over the years. Some of us who maybe casually follow golf and then are hooked on the majors are made to feel like we're turning up uninvited at a house party when we comment on a poor performance by McIlroy.

I know lots of people come onto the threads as Majors are on and I personally enjoy the energy and funny posts and even wild views.

But for people saying he will never win a major ...that is sone crazy **** if you know anything about golf ..of course he may not...but that chances of that are very low ...like 1 in 20.

Guy will be near top end of major for at least 5 more years .

Now to offer a wild view in a boards' major tone ...I'd definitely sack Bob and his caddy after this. And he should definitely lay off commercial / media and LIV campaign side...

I'd say it's more than 1 in 20 based even on the number of majors he hasn't won since 2014. It's 1 in over 30 at the moment.

The Masters has become such a big deal because of the career grand slam etc that if he wins 6 other majors and doesn't win the Masters, it'll always be mentioned.

It's like those Gaa players who were all time greats, but it's mentioned all the same that they never won an All Ireland.

Hopefully McIlroy does it. Feels like his only chance is to come from behind and win it that way with the pressure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'd like to see him try to change the narrative. Maybe admit he struggles with the pressure of expectancy. Maybe suggest in interviews that even if his form is good that he doesn't have high expectations because he's struggled to win his next Major for so long. He might even say that he may have won hi last major, or that he might need a lot of luck to ever win at Augusta given the pressure on him to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

what happened in 2011 left it’s mark and at this stage I think the back 9 that day will define his career at Augusta. It won’t define his career but definitely at that course. He’s tried everything in his pursuit of a green jacket and so far nothing has worked. What he does now only he knows but this will hurt him.

I did think the media coverage that he put his hand up for was strange beforehand and it just looks even worse now. The way he was talking he just needed to show up and follow whatever plan he had in place. Some of the stuff he was at, shows how good Woods was. The pressure McIlroy puts on himself at Augusta every year, Woods had it and dealt with it every week he played. The mental block McIlroy has at that course must be crippling and the pressure showed and continues to show.

As entertaining as it was for us watching at home, the carry on with the walk and talk on the 9th on Thursday was absolutely madness from him. I was shocked he did it and even more so that he volunteered to it. That won’t be happening again I’d be very confident of that.

Advertisement