Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s funny how red flags not just the email that are the reason now. Surely if there were red flags before, then you wouldn’t offer him the job. Or am I using logic there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I really don't get it, they spent a lot of money buying this franchise, but instead of milking it properly and making a lot of money they choose to destroy it. And for whom? Lizzo's fans? Is that their target demographic now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Disney is a kids company and thats what they primarily produce whether it be Star Wars or Marvel, big dumb silly produce.

The one adult Star Wars series they made, Andor didnt get much ratings, despite it being a brilliant show, dark, gritty, realistic with good actors and lots of tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Karppi

What a complete load of absolute sh1te.

The moon of Paraquat, more likely!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

That's brilliant! I wish he would do it just to totally troll the left. That's the problem with Trump; I don't think he's that bright and is more concerned with serving his own interests than actually doing anything for the country or fighting the crazy left. Imagine him in a dress and high heels, wearing pearls, and debating Biden live on TV. Oh God, I'd give anything for it to happen :)

They're not a kids company, they are a big entertainment conglomerate, they are a money making enterprise which don't work for the kids, they work for their shareholders. Which makes even less sense.

But they are not alone in this, they are not the only ones destroying sci-fi and fantasy franchises. It's really weird (and frustrating and infuriating) to see it happening, it's like there is a conspiracy to destroy our cultural legacy and I fail to see any good reason on why is it happening. Or maybe there is none, and this is just the result of promoting woke and diverse persons into the decision making roles, and they make decisions not for the shareholders, but for the woke diverse mob. Well, I said it before, our western civilization, just like any extinct civilization from before, will die from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

As much as I can see where you’re coming from, this bit - “our cultural legacy”, had me thinking GTFO 🤨😂

It couldn’t be any simpler to understand than the core mission of any global corporate entity is simply to expand its reach, to seek out new markets (to borrow a phrase from another sci-fi franchise). They couldn’t give a monkeys about any “cultural legacy” or any of the rest of that nonsense.

It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just business, and like any corporate entity in business for long enough, they’ve made some decisions which have proven to be absolute stinkers, and at the same time they’re still churning out turgid shyte like a galactic soap opera at a rate of knots which has generated billions in revenues, and while it continues to do so, they’ll continue to churn it out.

Yes it's easy to laugh and dismiss and send me to FO, but the sad truth is that our kids won't have much in the way of heroes and sci-fi and fantasy universes, as we did. But that's alright, they have tiktok.

And as I said, I'm not calling it a conspiracy, but something is happening. They aren't even making proper profit, the latest Star Wars movies were not as successful as the ones before, some of them even came dangerously close to being flops. The insane level woke Star Trek series were so badly received they had to do an 180 with the new ones. So there is at least an element of woke appeasement over profit, you can pretend it's not there but that won't make it go away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Have to say, I don't understand the fuss around Lizzo, or even who she is. Would I regret it if I suggest someone enlighten me as to the wokery there?

That clip looked like the standard modern Star Wars stuff - wooden acting of a dull story.

• Advertisement

The clip is just the tip of the iceberg. And indeed it's "the standard modern Star Wars stuff", which is sh1te.

As for Lizzo, there's a reason the was a "guest star". And it has nothing to do with talent, because it's clear she has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Bahahahaha.

We are now well into the "female candidates preferred" era. Heck for the last few years the entire public sector will not only discriminate against men, they will boast about it too in their annual report:

https://www.ipa.ie/_fileUpload/Documents/IPA%20Public%20Sector%20Trends%202022.pdf

We are now well into the "female candidates preferred" era

I think it's been more than 10 years when "you should give preference to minority candidates" was said to me, literally, in the exact words I quoted.

There's absolutely nothing woke about animal rights.

The typical Boards.ie poster's attitude to Animal abuse: Bad when travellers do it, good when businesses do it.

Yeah, for all the cushy roles this is true and has been for some time now. However when the toilet backs up no company checks the gender or ethnicity of the plumber they call out though...

That...didn't really explain anything to be honest?

Should I understand you're not a fan, or you did not follow the decline of Star Wars since it was acquired by Disney? In any case, the casting choice, the acting, the story and direction sunk to a new low with that scene.

I enjoyed the original three films. I've not really followed it since then. I find sci-fi movie universes tedious in general and if they're a cultural legacy, it's a poor one. But each to their own of course.

But you still haven't really explained anything. I certainly don't see how this is on a par with a politician not being able to define a woman because he wasn't given notice of the question, for example

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If you really wanted to get the woke angle for Lizzo, you could say it's because she's racist against white fans she doesn't make music for white folk. Well, not her exact words, but in the age of 2023 we can read into words and come up with our own interpretation of them and insist that's exactly what the person who said the words meant:

“The thing is, when a black artist reaches a certain level of popularity, it’s going to be a predominantly white crowd,” the 34-year-old star, born Melissa Viviane Jefferson, told Vanity Fair in its November cover story.

“I am not making music for white people. I am a Black woman, I am making music from my Black experience, for me to heal myself [from] the experience we call life.”

Borderline racist? Maybe. Woke? Shur why not. I do like to point out the capatilised B in black and the lowercase w in white though... No idea if the characters those 2 portrayed were race swapped or anything like that though. Most SW stuff is complete garbage anyway. As I said in another thread, you have the original can't-act trilogy, the trilogy that's so bad no one talks about it, and the recent emo trilogy. The only good live action SW stuff has been Rogue One and Mandalorian. Although I've been told Andor is good so might have to give that a watch at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

New Trailer for the new Indiana Jones film

Contains the line: "And then I stole it, it's called capitalism" which they quite obviously left in the trailer for woke points (and probably to wind people up) but it's great cause it means Disney one of the most capitalistic film studios of all time clearly thinks capitalism = stealing which means If I illegally download the film and watch for free they'll be ok with it.

Also it seems like its really set up for Phoebe Waller-Bridge character to be another boring "strong female lead" who is so much better than her godfather and shows how out of date he really is (although I hope I;m wrong with that and it actually has some respect for Indiana Jones as a character and doesn't try to belittle him like so many modern versions of classic films have been doing to classic characters) .

• Advertisement

TBH I wasn't aware of anything she said, or any of her "music" which I don't need to listen to know what it is. The woke part is casting a morbidly obese woman who is proud of her obesity, with no acting talent, into a piss taking role just for the diversity she brings. So they fired Gina Carano for nothing yet they had no problem with a racist actor just because it hapens to be of the right colour.

Andor is quite good, but it's so different from any other Star Wars film or series it may very well be something not from Star Wars universe.

Rather than pretending it's not there, I wouldn't pretend that the original Star Wars and Star Trek weren't the wet dreams of liberals of their time in celluloid form. The originals of both franchises were outrageously woke AF, for their time, as has always, always been the case in the Arts and Entertainment industry, more commonly known as 'popular culture'. That's why I laughed at the idea of 'our cultural legacy' as if it wasn't woke AF in the first place, only difference between then and now is that, well, you've grown up. That's why the recent Picard effort had to bring back a cartload of geriatrics, to apppease the old farts who longed for the nostalgia of the old TNG series, when Riker the notorious ladies man was copping off with an alien of unspecified gender, while the egg-headed intellectual Picard was arguing that an android had human rights.. and as for the origins of Star Wars? Less said about that, the better really, loaded to the gills with progressive leftist ideology.

That being said, yes, there is something going on, it's that the culture wars and what you refer to as 'our' cultural legacy, has never really existed in the first place. Popular culture of the time when you were a child just isn't what is popular culture now, and the traditional Arts and Entertainment industry which was undergirded by Hollywood movie studios is having to compete with content from other cultures which is easier accessible than it ever was before thanks to the development of the Internet. No doubt of course the American military and academics who originally developed the technology didn't envision it would be put to better use by anyone but the Americans, like the Chinese, Israelis, Indians, Arabs, Russians, hell anyone else really! But, American politicians whatever else they disagree on, they're adept at portraying everyone else as the threat to American people's ideas of Freedom and Democracy, Liberty and Security, by attempting to introduce measures which would make Chinese, Soviet and Indian leaders blush.

It'll put a stop to tiktok at least (well, that's the plan anyway!), but the upside is that it might stop the likes of JK from retconning the entire Harry Potter franchise so that our children's heroes of sci-and fantasy universes remain unspoiled by the attempts of their original authors to remain relevant in the real world, in the hope of eking a few dollars more out of a dead franchise. JK doesn't care about her legacy (which is a good thing, because she doesn't have one), so why should anyone who didn't care before, suddenly start caring about 'our cultural legacy' now? Seems like a term that was ripped right out of the pages of a woke playbook tbh (while they're still available anyways).

Liberals and their free speech nonsense, cause the downfall of Western civilisation so they will 😒

They were not woke, they were, for lack of better word, progressive. Woke is regressive.

Star Trek and Star Wars have survived for 50 something years and they will continue to do so if they are not completely killed. They are part of western civilization's cultural legacy, which also include the works of JK Rowling.

It won't be the free speech, it will be the erosion of values that include free speech.

"They were not woke, they were, for lack of better word, progressive. Woke is regressive."

Completely agree. The Star Trek original series was about inclusion, whereas "woke" promotes division.

They were woke, there’s no getting away from that by using a word that’s literally a synonym for woke - progressive!

aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

They survived for 50 years because of syndication, and then streaming, which as clearly demonstrated by your original issue will show any old shyte and try to pass it off as content worth watching, because it generates revenue, and if we’re being honest, neither Jack Black nor Lizzo were ever cultural icons to begin with; one’s a never-was actor, the other didn’t have anything else going for her other than promoting herself. Of course they’ll keep going as long as there’s a dollar to be made, but I won’t pretend that they rise to the levels of a cultural legacy when all they ever were was popular culture.

That whole notion you have of “Western civilisations cultural legacy” seems to be entirely based upon your own standards as to what you consider relevant or of any value or meaning, which is why freedom of expression is important, so that others who don’t share your ideas are entitled as you are to express their values and beliefs and so on. It’s a conflicting ideology for Liberals because it means that the people who don’t share their ideas are entitled as they are to express their opinions, which gets right up the noses of people who claim that American popular culture or English culture or whatever cultural identity they are familiar with should be respected above all others, because according to them their cultural values are superior, and they won’t hear a word said against that idea, while maintaining that their interest is in protecting everyones right to freedom of expression.

I believe them… billions wouldn’t.

No, woke doesn't mean progressive. Here, in this thread, the second definition applies:

disapproving : politically liberal (as in matters of racial and social justice) especially in a way that is considered unreasonable or extreme

Star Wars and Star Trek inspired and entertained multiple generations from all countries in the western world and not only, to claim it's not part of its cultural legacy is bizarre, but whatever.

There’s no difference! They’re the same! Or, to put it in terms you’re probably more familiar with -

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

Donald Trump's plan to become the greatest women's basketball coach seems like it might work in today's world:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,157 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd see it as a more universal feature of cultural history , not that Western culture (in the arts sense) is superior to say Chinese , but that each broad culture should defend its cultural sources as they have value. The wokies are cultural vandals and would be more inclined to have a Jahr Null approach to culture, ie destroy the old culture, erase it from history and supplant it with their manufactured one cos they think people are programmable

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,169 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Can you point out the illegality in horse racing? Why oh why arent the guards arresting those nasty people?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement