Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Bloody hell GLS are slow. Was handed over to them on Monday and still no more updates from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

my parcel is seemingly bouncing around the Netherlands, from what I can gather its gone through 3 separate depots

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Went to order the 64gb today and theyre sold out. Adverts still has scalpers that think theyre still months away from delivery - they might be right again!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I ended up getting one on Adverts, 256gb model and it was €430 posted to me, a great deal.

Currently playing CoinOps Legends 3 and going to install a Sega Model 2 and 3 emulator on there was well, to get some Daytona and Sega Rally action on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Nice work, thats great value for a 256 model. Let us know how you get on with the Sega midel 2 and 3 emu's too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I just found a 64gb with a 512 sd card for 350. Picking it up this evening.

Coin ops legends looks amazing. Im just hoping I can get game pass installed on it as well.

Then I can sell the rarely used Switch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pretty sure @Grumpypants got that installed and working so you should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Game pass is simple just run it on edge or chrome. You can take it a step further and build in a startup command so it acts like an app and opens in full screen. (I've made one of these for game pass, netflix, Disney etc. Then add then to collections)

Microsoft have the steps here and even give you the images.

You can install the new app too with a few extra step with proton compatibility layer.

Yeah only getting to grips with mine properly today after finishing resi, once hooked up to a monitor in desktop with keyboard/monitor ya fly through setting up game pass etc.

@CiDeRmAn

Any easy guide to install Coin ops?

Theres a dock sitting at home waiting for me - maybe I should wait till Im near that.

• Advertisement

I got Coin ops sorted. How do I play PC game pass and not Xbox game pass console on the deck?

I don't think I figured the PC game pass out without installing windows and going that route.

I just have the xcloud in the browser, and you can get a thing called greenlight that supports the remote play from a console (but you need the actual console) and xcloud.

Maybe you could download the setup .exe file and try running it with a proton layer. Experimental is normally good. You might need to get protonDB from the store and get one of their newer versions.

I installed windows on an SD Card so I can easily swap between steam is and windows 10. It might be an option. It was surprisingly easy.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

I am loving my deck. I'd say since it arrived 2 weeks or so ago I have but more time into it than my Ps5 has got in the last year which is just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dextersnp

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

About 3 weeks (1 week or so of that was no movement after arriving in Ireland). No customs or fees either, not sure if that was just luck or what.

The one I bought is now down to about 98euro all in...feckin hell.

Post edited by Mucashinto on

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dextersnp

😂

Thanks for the answer, can you send me the link, please?

you checked again the speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I bought this one here

but there’s probably some bigger/better reviewed sellers at the same price tbh.

Haven’t tested again recently but it flies along in use with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Playing a hape of Vampire Survivors atm, great gas. I see Hades is on sale, might pick it up. I understand it's something similar? Aware of the raves it got a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Just had a "this is so cool"/"I can't believe it worked so easily" moment.

I've been playing Just Cause 3 on Steam Deck and it's been running really well. There's shooting challenges in the game where you have to hit targets within a time limit. Depending on your accuracy you unlock up to 5 cogs which unlock upgrades. Using the thumb sticks I've been struggling a little bit with speed and accuracy managing only 3/5 cogs on some challenges.

Rather than download the 50GB game to desktop, I installed the Steam Remote Play app for Windows. Connected easily over Wi-Fi and hit all the bullseyes I needed with the mouse. It looked a little grungy upscaling to 1440 but I'm still happy how it worked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I wouldn’t say those games are anything alike, both great games but very different. Hades an isometric 3d rogue like - usually ranks near the top of most best of indie game lists. Never got into it myself though, much preferred Dead Cells.

Hadn’t played the Deck in a while but got a portable monitor the other day so decided to test deck on it, played The Adventure Pals for the first time - great little platformer, tons of charm to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s a very basic similarity between Hades and Vampire Survivors in the sense they both have roguelite elements and involve creating a powerful build on each run. But Hades is a far more polished, robust game - Vampire Survivors has surprising depth but Hades is a total package in terms of gameplay, sound, art design and narrative. It’s one of the great modern games tbh and I’d highly recommend it.

It and the rest of Supergiant games are on sale at the moment so it’s a no brainer IMO. I adore Pyre and Transistor as well, but Hades is definitely their most accomplished game to date and their biggest blockbuster success.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm probably the only person who bought 20 Minutes Till Dawn over Vampire Survivors but bloody hell I can't put it down. Excellent game for pick up and play, great for battery life too.

Reminds me of Geometry Wars on that 360, always wanted one more run then next thing you know it's really bloody late haha.

Works a treat at home, no noticeable lag. Hopefully the WiFi at work is up to the task!

Chiaki is great I've been using it a lot. You can also get playstation plus cloud working if you want to stream some games from the cloud but it's not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Got my dock for the deck today, works very well. First time I connected my Xbox controller to it too, I love the nice touch of the button icons changing to the correct colours.

Decided to have another go at installing non-Steam games, I found Lutris was hit or miss for installing games but apparently you can install it on PC and copy the folder over then add as non-Steam game. Only tested a few games for now but so far seems to work better.

Has anyone had any luck buying one of these second hand? I have one already, had to wait 6 months from when the order was put it. Was hoping to get one of the 64GB models for the missus but they're all sold out. There's a couple of decent prices on Adverts that I have seen, but just wanted to know of others experiences.

It's such a shame that they are sold out and have been since the last big sale, I can't see when they are coming back into stock as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone know if the deck can be got from anyone other than Steam?

I'm assuming the answer's no, but chancing my arm!

I don't think it can other than second hand.

• Advertisement

Wow that is the first time I've seen it out of stock in a long time.

I think one or two on here got them second hand. Somewhere on this thread someone was contemplating selling theirs so likely an option.

I guess the usual warnings apply. But from someone with good feedback and see it working before handing over cash.

Advertisement