Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'd be curious to know how much land Russia has annexed since say the fall of the USSR vs how much land the US has annexed in that time.

We're at no realistic risk of invasion/attack from anyone. Joining a defensive alliance would be money down the drain. You don't buy car insurance if you don't own a car.

I don't have a problem with a small increase in defense spending but the money needs to be kept in the country. There's no reason we can't develop basic drones and loitering munitions like Turkey and Iran have done.

For not a lot of money would could develop a homegrown offensive cyber capability - we have no shortage of IT people and a lot of big tech companies are headquartered here so we could steal source code - bribe employees and whatnot - to help us develop exploits and backdoors. For a fraction of the cost of a few jet fighters and maintenance we could have the capability to turn the lights off in most countries, that's a compelling deterent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

12 countries (soon 13) have joined NATO in the last 20 years, so it seems to be a very popular organisation - especially with countries within a certain distance from Russia. Small countries can't necessarily survive on their own, so it makes sense to find allies. I don't think the world is heading to a direction where military alliances are becoming less relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

27 countries have joined the EU common defense and 25 have joined pesco in the last 25 years.

Can't be relying on a country which elects the best president ever in the history of the world and space and the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"The US" is a political term, Europe is not. Pick a lane and stay in it, nobody's going to follow you around as you take the goalposts on a tour.

Georgia has always been culturally regarded as a European country and the Caucuses have always been regarded as the periphery of Europe. The name Georgia itself is derived from Greek and Georgians used the Greek script before they adopted their own. They are Europeans in Europe and always have been.

NATO exists at the option of its members, and none of them want to leave it nor do they want the US to abandon their commitments to the continent. Even the lonely far-left loopers in Germany (probably paid by the Kremlin) calling for US presence in Germany to go have abandoned that nonsense.

Get used to NATO, it's a fact of life in Europe.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭prunudo

I haven't seen a good reason not to join. It would be niave to think little old Ireland isn't a target cuase we're neutral and friendly, bs to that. It makes sense to increase defense spending and be part of an organisation where idea's, surveillance and information is shared for the protection of the state and it's citizens. Russia might not be our neighbour, but that doesn't mean they aren't up to no good here and exploiting our neutrality and lack of properly funded defense forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

That's fear mongering

Ireland is under no potential threat of invasion by Russia

He/she never used the word invasion. You inserted that.

There are threats to every country's security that fall short of invasion and that's been a theme for this 100+ page thread.

that's a very simplistic understanding of Europe. Ireland is a completely different country than those 3, there is absolutely zero evidence that Putin would ever want to invade Ireland of all places

Ill pick a lane the same day you tell me you'll never again refer to the United states of America, as simply 'America'.

Sell the semantic nonsense somewhere else, Georgia is not what people think of when they hear 'Europe'. Get a map, ask a stranger, see if they point within 1000km of Georgia.

Ireland is never going to be part of nato, theres a fact of life for you.

The only people cheering for nato here in Ireland are those overgrown men-children who can't get over their fascination with fancy military toys (as they see them).

Thats their real agenda, they don't care about international peace or internet cables, they just want fancy military tech to nerd out about, if we have to change our place in the world as a nation then they're ok with that. Got two missile ships and a tank for it, fair deal.

Too much US media. Its embarrassing, you're Irish, you're European, not American, stop tooting on Americas hotdog, have some dignity Ameriboos.

• Advertisement

It's not a simplistic understanding of Europe. You're the one engaging in that.

Once again, you're the one using the "invasion" angle.

you said "boots on the ground" , what angle is that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭prunudo

You can believe what you like. I don't trust them one bit, they might not invade, but doesn't mean they aren't exploiting our vulnerabilities. Why not join a large defensive organisation. Pooled resources make sense, we need to grow up and pull our weight rather than expecting other countries to help us out all the time.

🤣

You have no standing to talk about engaging in semantics picking a seam of arguement of USA v America. In the English language, America is a commonly understood synonym for the USA and is used interchangibly.

Most people would identify Georgia as a European country and more importantly, Georgians regard themselves as such.

Too much US media. Its embarrassing, you're Irish, you're European, not American, stop tooting on Americas hotdog, have some dignity Ameriboos.

Have a joint or something, you're agitated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But there are no threats to Ireland for which being a member of NATO or not would make the slightest difference.

Attacking an undersea cable used by all NATO countries but just happens to pass through Irish waters, it makes no difference if Ireland is in NATO to if NATO consider that to be an attack on them or not. The other end of the cable is connected to the US so why would it matter where the cable was cut?

Some kind of cyber attacks have already happened on various countries, and the geographic location of that country matters not. If you have the capability to take out some vital infrastructure of an enemy remotely by cyber attack then why would you direct that to Ireland rather than the UK for example? The chances of avoiding such attacks are exactly the same for either UK or Ireland. The response from either of being attacked would be just more money and people being spent on cyber security and the fixing of the damage done, not sending nukes to Moscow.

Ireland has no natural resources like oil to be worth invading for, and no oppressed Russian people who need rescuing from their evil Irish/ Nazi rulers. Whilst it does provide a useful stepping stone for an invasion of UK/ Europe, that only applies if you already have easy access to the Irish west coast without fear of your supply lines being easily picked off by any of the NATO countries you have to sail past to get there in the first place.

There might not be a good reason to not join NATO, but first it should be shown that there is a good reason to join NATO.

Don't join just because it's there.

Re cables:

If Russia cut them in a nuetral country's waters that's not necissarily casus belli with NATO. Cut in NATO waters, well, that's casus belli. And casus belli with NATO = deterrance.

And that's just one threat vector.

I've been clear on my stance on Ireland and NATO from the very start of the thread btw. I'm not saying join for the heck of it, but it needs to be entertained, particularly if the calculations conclude that our neutrality results in unacceptable vulnerabilities for the state, its economy and our wellbeing as a country.

The immaturity is the nonsense woolly student union rhetoric about "war mongering" and "the great satan" (someone actually posted that in this thread)

i agree that Ireland should become stronger and should stop relying on Europe, but I dont recall other countries having to militarily defend us

You don't recall because you don't pay attention.

The RAF scramble into our airspace on the regular because we can't/refuse to guard our airspace.

Nope, Georgia is not considered to be Europe in common parlance.

It may be technically, but thats getting into semantics, which is why I referred you to the USA vs America thing.

Chileans can be technically referred to as Americans. Georgia can be technically referred to as Europe.

But if during some tension between Brazil and Chile I were to say 'oh Brazilian boots are on the ground in America' that would be deliberate hyperbolic nonsense.

Which is about the same as what you did with Georgia and Europe, saying 'oh Russia has boots on the ground in Europe'. Or some such deliberately misleading nonsense.

You know what you did. You got called out on it. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bloody hell. "America" has a very clear and commonly used connotation that does not refer to people from the American continent. "Europe" does not. Its a terrible analogy.

Georgia is on the periphery of Europe and _some people_ may not view it as part of Europe. Many others would.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't consider Ukraine Europe though so Russia clearly have invasionary boots on the ground in Europe.

I don't think anyone really believes cutting an undersea cable, no matter where it is done, would be considered a legitimate casus belli for war. Most importantly I don't believe Russia thinks that so the deterrent effect is non existent.

Hey greencap, wakey wakey. I never posted "Russia has boots on the ground in Europe" (even though they do in 4 sovereign European countries).

Mic1972 posted "there's no evidence Russia will invade Europe"

I responded that they absolutely would eye-up the Baltics for instance for military intervention were they not in NATO. Russia is 100 percent a credible military threat to the Batic states and especially if they weren't part of NATO. And if that penny hasn't dropped after Ukraine, Tankies need to take their smelling salts.

Any other take is sh*t-talk. And there's a lot of Tankie sh*t talk in this thread. You're owning yourself here.

NATO have already stated that a significant cyber-attack would be a possible Article 5 triggering event.

Yes and I don't think anyone and especially not Russia remotely believes them.

You genuinely think a cyber attack will see western missiles flying and tanks rolling. A ratcheting up to nuclear war?

Russia committed a chemical weapons attack on NATO soil because they knew it wouldn't cause a military response.

Well whatever, you chose to side with the nonsense attempts to confound the EU countries (referred to by most people as just 'Europe') with the entire European continent.

Its very basic, people can see it. Just don't.

🤣

I said Baltics greencap. Your dancing on the head of a pin falls apart right there. Derp.

Btw, when I want to talk of the EU I say EU.

Well, Russia is less likely to play chicken with NATO if an Article 5 response is in the air, and I think that much is obvious. In terms of a casus belli, cutting the communications cables between North America and Europe is on the upper-end of f*ckery and it wouldn't surprise in the least if an Article 5 was invoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Why would Finland be sending a missle into Moscow....

They don't have missles capable of reaching Moscow,

They have a military that solely built to defend it's territory

• Advertisement

There's also the question of why some people on what I call the thoughtless left are determined to see European collective defence without the US involved.

A collective defence without the US sees deterrence for Europe significantly denuded against aggressive autocratic states like Russia (and others besides), and a Kremlin more emboldened to pick-off, interfere with and as we have seen to invade Eastern states. There is no other conculsion that would come to pass if the US left the European security architecture. More insecurity, an emboldened Russia, Europe having to spend an even greater share of GDP on defence. For what?

When pressed, they won't give a satisfactory answer - or any answer at all really. It's usually "just because".

They hate NATO because it works, and it is an unassailable deterrent.

Advertisement