Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build targeting 1440p@60fps for €1300-€1500

Options
  • 01-03-2023 7:02pm

Hey guys,

As the title says I'm building a new PC with the aim of targeting 1440p@60fps minimum. I know it depends on the game, but in general it should achieve this. My monitor is an Ultrawide (27"+27") Samsung C49RG90 which is max 120Hz. I would be looking for full width in supported games, COD for example. One other factor is I already game on a Series X, so the PC needs to give me something extra (more than just more fps). So my preference is to go with a Nvidia GPU for ray tracing. Finally, noise is important. I'd like it as quiet as possible. I feel like I'm asking for too much, lets see...

With that in mind, this is what I have come up with. I would really appreciate your thoughts, opinions and advice.

1. What is your budget? 1300-1500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming. 1440p @ minimum 60fps

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Debit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Today if 1300, otherwise next month if closer to 1500

10. Do you need help building it? No

This is what I have come up with so far. I'm going for White with hints of black and minimum/subtle RGB. I'm totally flexible on asthetics I just found no difference in the price so why not. The PSU from Computer Universe is a bit annoying as another source to pay postage for. If I can get something from Amazon or Caseking it would be better. Postage is not included, so I'm guessing the total is probably in the region of €1400-€1500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FpfNC6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€146.99 @ Caseking)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€26.00)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€147.89 @ Caseking)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€75.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€54.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card (€569.00) (Caseking)

Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case (€109.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Custom: CPU cooler @ AmazonUK

Custom: be quiet! Pure Power 12M 750W Gold (€119.90) (Caseking)

Total: €1250.48

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-01 23:19 CET+0100

You're going to be GPU bottlenecked at that resolution, so a 5600 is fine.

Lian Li Lancool 215 is a great case with 200mm front fans.

If you're willing to gamble, RTX 3080s are starting to show up on Adverts for ~700eur - would be around 25% faster.

With regards to your chosen monitor, please note that it only officially supports Free-Sync.

Post edited by K.O.Kiki on

Thanks for pointing out the gpu bottleneck. I might look at saving some more and going for a 3080.

Pity the screen only supports freesync, i might need to reconsider a preference for nvidia. Does VRR support make up for lack of gsync? It does mention it can handle gsync albeit not officially certified.

Im not sure how important ultrawide is for me. I bought the monitor for work productivity, so it's not wasted money if I don't use ultra wide for gaming. It would be great though for certain games :)

I used to play Subnautica and COD on dual screen on an old 1080p build. But can't actually remember any other games where it was supported or advantagous.

Caseking also has an RX 6800 for 579eur that might be a better buy than the 3070.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭cornholio509

The RX 6800 is within as fast than a RTX 3070 ti . Only place nvidia gpus wins out is with raytracing . SO in that price range the Rx 6800 is by far the better choice . As for the GPU the 5700x would be the better one to get . Its not going to get any cheaper as it seems . Previous generations of ryzen 8 core CPUs are all hovering around that price still . Again i dont know what your timeline is for upgrading . 1-3 years or 5 years plus . Either way i think that if you intend to go the NVidia route and go for a rtx 3080 the 5700x is definately the better oprion .

Now as far as you the monitor goes it wont care . Freesync with work with nvidia GPUs . Not all Gsync monitors will work with AMD gpus .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just to confuse you a little bit more, if i had a budget of around 500-600 for a gpu i would be buying this 6800xt (just under €650 delivered), it will be at 3080 level or better performance with standard rasterization performance, you give up ray tracing performance though if that bother you.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. It seems this monitor is a bit of a beast when it comes to gaming and I'd be better off forgetting about ray tracing and getting the most powerful card I can afford with a lot of RAM. So I'm thinking 6800 XT (16 Gb) and 32Gb RAM.

Bottleneck Calculator | PC Builds (pc-builds.com) doesn't even list the 5120x1440 resolution, so there is a bit of uncertainty about what I need. But the monitor will scale down to any resolution with a 1440p height. So even if I can't get good performance on full resolution I could still get a wide view, just maybe not the full width. E.g 3840x1440 or 3440x1440.

With 1440p wide resolutions I wouldn't need the 5700x because the GPU will be max'ed out, but there's a fair amount of uncertainty as to how it's going to perform with this monitor and there's a possibility I might just end up dropping down to a normal resolution, in that case I would need the 5700X. So I'll got with the 5700X as well.

I'm also giving up on the white aesthetics nonsense 😄 Black, with maybe just a single CPU cooler RGB fan to light it up a little. Here we go, I might tweak this slightly to get everything from Amazon but its going to be in and around the same. Close, I'm only a pay day away from having the cash for this :-) What you think, any room for improvement?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/yXKyC6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (€191.57 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 FX CPU Cooler (€52.03 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€126.88 @ Computeruniverse) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€97.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€57.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 319 CORE Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card (€654.02 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case (€118.80 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€119.90) 

Total: €1419.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-02 16:48 CET+0100

I'd personally swap the be quiet Pure Rock FX (unless you really like the looks) for a Thermalright Assassin King or Arctic Freezer A-35 RGB. Same performance, half the price. Zalman CNPS17X is an interesting looker, too, and cools better.

PSU-wise, Caseking just got a shipment of the brand-new be quiet Pure Power 12 FM (with ATX 3.0 cables) for the same price as the 11 FM.

I'd like to try and keep it updated regularly, maybe a 3 year timeline.

I just want a quiet fan, not fussed about the cooler brand. I'll swap those out, thanks.

I couldn't find that psu on pcpartpicker so I just stuck the same price in, but that is the one I'll be going for.

I just noticed I picked RGB RAM too, I don't need that and will swap it out for cheaper non flashy RAM.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll let you know when its built and how it performs on ultrawide resolution.

Now I have a month of checking the prices every 5 minutes only to watch them go up or go out of stock 😂

• Advertisement

So finally got this built today. Thanks for your help guys.

I waited 3 weeks for a Be Quiet cooler from amazon.de and it arrived with missing screws, risers and screw driver😔

Ordered a Noctua instead on Amazon UK and it arrived in 2 days so not a major setback.

So I went with the Xfx 6800XT and Ryzen 7 7700X. I actually bought the swft model Gpu by accident but glad I did, apparently there is very little difference with the top model except for slight OC and a metal case. Whatever the difference anyway, the swft is most certainly performing.

It's a very, very nice machine indeed. Absolutely loving the ultra wide screen. Gave Spider-Man a whirl on super ultra wide 1440p 120fps. Gpu is 13% utilised and Cpu only 3% utilised.

Strangely, with Frost Punk the Gpu is 100% while Cpu is 1%.

Ive a feeling I've over done the Cpu by a huge amount. I'd say even a 3600 would do.

Might give Witcher 3 Upgrade a go just to really try it out.

Roll on Starfield....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Those readings are completely wrong, obviously some kind of software bug.

On a high refresh screen the 7700x trounces the 3600, 4k60 is the only scenario where it'd be irrelevant.

I went from a 5700G to a 5800X and the difference was significant at 1440P 165hz.

It's 5120x1440 Super Ultra Wide 120fps, so it would be the same if not more Gpu intensive than 4k60.

I do agree those measurements don't sound right though. I'll try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

What I mean is that at 4K60, you're entirely GPU dependent so a 3600 would be fine as it can comfortably push >60.

At that ultrawide resolution at 120fps, if you had gotten a 3600 you'd be getting way less frames than you are now, because the 3600 would throttle the hell out of a 6800XT in many games.

EG a 3600 might have a framerate ceiling of 100fps in Game A, even though the 6800XT is capable of driving 150fps. Enter 7700X, and you're running at the 150fps because the card and CPU are a good match.

I have a 7900XT and 5800X. So when I play on the monitor, the card is pretty throttled by the CPU ceiling, but when playing on TV, it's not.

Tested Spider-Man using after burner. I figure swinging around manhattan is a good test for this.

Cpu usage hovers around 35%

Gpu is. Maxed at 98-100%

Getting Fps is a bit chaotic as you'd expect swinging around with various assets loading. I'm getting 64-90. But it is in no way stuttering or even noticeable that the fps is swinging so wildly (excuse the pun).

This is with very high settings.

This is why I think the Cpu is less important in this setup. It's going to be Gpu bottle necked unless I lower the resolution. Which I may actually need to do as super wide probably isn't widely supported or not suited to some games. So I think a good cpu was still warranted.

Overall I'm very happy with the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just curious what pushed you to AM5 in the end? Yes, I know it's future proofing and DDR5 isn't as dear as it was a few months ago but you were talking about a AM4 build further up the thread. I'm not trying to have a go and I'm envy with you as the 7700X is a great CPU and you can upgrade to a 8800X3D chip on AM5 maybe next year if you feel like it. I only just upgraded my CPU to a second hand 5800X after using a 3700X since around launch.

Oops my bad, it's a ryzen 7 5700X.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's still a decent CPU. Much the same as my 5800X but more power efficient at stock anyway.

Yes it's very decent, I think it's going to stand the test of time. I might try dropping the resolution tomorrow to less wide or standard 16:9 and see if I can get 120fps out of spider-man and see what the cpu load is.

I have Witcher 3 which would probably be a good test but I've no desire to get back into the game right now.

So I tried dropping the resolution to 3360x1440 which is the supported 21:9 aspect ratio. Looks ok, obviously some vertical back bars on the edges that take seconds to get used to. Performance wise I'm seeing the GPU under less pressure, slightly. Swinging around in Spider-Man I'm seeing it drop down to 85% at times whereas full 5120x1440 it is maxed out all the time. No increase or improvement on CPU, its still around 35%.

Spider-man looks way better full resolution, but the other game I'm playing at the moment is FrostPunk where I prefer 21:9 because I found I'm actually missing some notifcations which are off to the side in my peripheral vision. Other than that, no performance difference whatsoever. GPU maxed, CPU barely utilized at 1%-3%

• Advertisement
Advertisement