Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gotham Guy

Lancaster quote:

“I don’t get wrapped up in the demographics of Ireland,” said Lancaster. “The thing that concerns me the most is making sure we’ve got an unbelievable development system, an unbelievable connection between the development programme and the academy and the senior team and making sure the senior team is coached as well as they can be coached.

“When push comes to shove, I still think quality coaching trumps everything and I think we’re very lucky here in that we’ve got a great group of coaches who are all diverse, have all come from different countries, have all brought our own piece, and Leo [Cullen] marshals the whole thing unbelievably well in terms of rotating the team, giving lads opportunities. So it’s not to do, for me, with demographics. It’s to do with coaching and we’ve worked hard to develop the players, the players have improved, anyone really.”

Does anyone really believe that if this coaching team went to Connacht or Munster or Ulster for that matter they could really bring them to winning the European Cup multiple times? None of those provinces have the squads.

You can build a squad over ten years but things like rugby infrastructure, schools system, demographics, ready made stadiums etc. etc. are also primary reasons behind Leinster’s success. Coaching too, Lancaster is world class but a lot more goes into a provinces success than coaching.

Having the systems in place to ensure the odds are stacked in your favour are obvious advantages. Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Then why were Leinster so sh1t under MOC? I pretty much guarantee you Leinster would win nothing with the Connacht coaching setup.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Do I believe that if that coaching team went to each of the other three provinces they would make them better, absolutely 100%.

Does what Lancaster said in that quote have any relevance to making Ulster Connacht or Munster Heineken cup contenders?? Zero percent.

Are Leinster making the most of the resources they have available, 100%

Are each of the other provinces? Very hard to argue they are. There is deficiencies all over the place.

Are each of the other three provinces dependant on players developed on Leinster? Arguably yes ( there must be near 30 players between the senior squads of each of the other provinces developed in leinster)

Is there a surplus raw talent pool from Leinster schools available to the other provinces,?? 100%. Leinster usually only recruit 6 or 7 from approx 200 schools players that play leinster act.

Why don't other provinces recruit more from Leinster schools ?? Well that's anyone's guess. Maybe they cannot provide a tangible enough enticement?

Are leinster supposed to be ultimately responsible for the academy intake into each provide?

Absolutely not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭ersatz

Leo's first year wasn't great. Leinster have won the European cup once in ten years. From the perspective of the other provinces who haven't had much success domestically Leinster look like world beaters but they're not. Ireland's success over that period has reflected well on Leinster as they have contributed a lot of players to the Irish team and they have pulled ahead of the other due to the systems in place producing a phenomenal pipeline of players. I think the standard of coaching in schools has something to do with it, honestly. Gonzaga appearing in 3 of the last 4 SCT finals is insane given they have about 60 kids per year in the school, I'd be surprised if half the 4th years play rugby. Their coach is phenomenal but that sort of success, up against rugby machines with much bigger playing pools in Blackrock and Michaels etc, indicates there is something else going on. Maybe the fact that there is an actual professional sports option that's accessible is inspiring young athletes to really go for it and then there is a comprehensive system of support for them. Dublin is genuinely a rugby world power house because of it's private school system. But Belfast used to be, and Munster (with a different development system) used to be too. Connacht won the league with Lam coaching, it can be done, even without the advantages that Dublin has.

It's interesting that the period when the likes of Joe and Nucifora got involved has coincided with the IRFU really hitting their stride. Irish rugby now looks like NZ rugby, a style of play the is ubiquitous throughout the system, from school boys up through leagues to the national team. I watched a bit of senior cup rugby this year on YouTube and the school teams are playing a very similar style of play to Leinster and Ireland, lots of width, quick ball from fast rucks, double lines of attack offering distributors options and pulling defense out of shape to open up inside balls, Sounds easy but its incredibly hard to get teams to manage it consistently in the heat of a match, yet these school kids are pulling it off. Maybe because its basically the style of rugby they've learned since they started playing ten years ago...

I brought one of my kids to Dublin and put him in school for 6 months during covid. He's played since he was small and he got to join in some practice stuff (there wasn't any rugby happening) when some of the school coaches (mostly young kiwis/Irish) organized runarounds, skills and touch stuff in one of the clubs. He was playing with 15-18 year olds and I'd say most if them came from the private schools and the Southside clubs. They were a motivated bunch to be showing up for these informal sessions, but just watching them you could tell that eventhtough they normally didn't play together they were all on the same page, and were insanely coachable, literally doing a few run throughs of ideas with a coach and you'd see the same show up in a touch runaround game half an hour later. That's a production line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I agree with you. But if the coaching team was with any of the other provinces, they'd be a lot better.

• Advertisement

Lol, you're right. It's also the same systems in place when Munster were the best side on the island. In truth, the structures are in place to be successful. Coaching plays a big part.

It's also worth pointing out the schools system in England. Yet, they are completely at sea. All of the advantages they have. Compare that to S.A who hemorrhage players yearly and improve the quality of wherever they go. Again, a large playing pool with good schools and development and yet each year there's a congo line heading for the exit.

The coaching in Leinster is superb. It's a well oiled machine.

Looking ahead to Toulouse! Should be a cracker. They'll knock the scrote out of each other. My cheeks are clenched already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not that much I would disagree with here. The way I think about it is Leinster's main limitation is what they can develop and bring through to senior, rather than money. Leinster would pretty much never be allowed to sign, say, Hendre Pollard on massive RWC-winning-10 money, but the budget seemingly will flex to account for any number of Irish internationals. The players go from Leinster to international rugby, not the other way round.

I'd also question what Leicester are doing with their budget, given Wigglesworth has been complaining. What's the point of spending big money on guys like Pollard and Watson and then playing anti-rugby? Is he remotely getting the best out of his players? If they play like they did on Friday every week then I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

Welcome back before your 2 week ban expires roverjoyce! Or maybe it’s lil Fred actually who likes to sign off with “discuss”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No, it's the "ready made stadiums" that are the secret of Leinster's success. No one else has a stadium, so it's really very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

"Dublin is genuinely a rugby world power house because of it's private school system. But Belfast used to be,"

True. However things have changed in N.I. for a number of reasons. Basically, private schools were abolished with the exception of Campbell College. Inst, MCB, RSA, RSD, Coleraine Inst, Dalriada etc were no longer allowed to charge fees. Various boarding departments were closed at the behest of one political party who unfortunately were given carte blanche to trash education. Many parents simply send their kids to schools in G.B. for access to private education. Then there are the changes to higher education. With the huge increase of available access to University places, there has been a massive exodus across the Irish sea to G.B. There are defined numbers of places allowed in the N.I. universities. There simply isn't room for all of those students in Queens and UUJ. Those who leave for whatever reasons rarely come back. They are young adults who discover a life for themselves elsewhere. State Schools in N.I. have also become smaller in terms of pupil numbers and fewer are large enough to have simply enough bodies to safely play rugby and of course outside the Grammar schools, soccer is king. CCMS schools naturally enjoy GAA sports and soccer, not rugby at all. They make up more than 50% of the school population. Rugby is struggling in N.I./ Ulster. The next piece of the problem also is the ubiquity of the national curriculum which defines what schools MUST teach. There is less freedom to engage in sporting activities. All of these chip away at the rugby heritage in Ulster.

The thing is- the “demographics” have always been in Leinster’s favour, and the schools system has been in place, so these two things are obviously not the only factors driving Leinster’s success.

If the demographics thing was that significant then France and England would win every Six Nations and RWC given their inherent structural advantages.

Demographics is a nonsense anyway when a handful of schools produce c. 20% of all professional rugby players on the island of Ireland.

St Michael’s is a perfect example - they were a virtual non-entity in rugby terms 20 years ago.

They obviously spent a lot of money to get to where they are now (but virtually every big Leinster rugby school spends a lot of money), but the difference is the quality of coaching and development.

There is no other earthly season why this tiny pocket of Dublin produces such a disproportionate amount of players. There is an incredibly strong rugby culture.

You cannot convince me this isn’t replicable elsewhere.

And yeah, it costs a lot of money - but so does paying guys like RG Snyman, Damian de Allende, Steven Kitshoff, Duane Vermeulen, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭ersatz

How many paid underage coaches are there in Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

'CCMS schools naturally enjoy GAA sports and soccer, not rugby at all. They make up more than 50% of the school population. Rugby is struggling in N.I.'

Perhaps Ulster rugby should make bigger strides to engage in this area.

Leo's first year wasn't great. Leinster have won the European cup once in ten years. From the perspective of the other provinces who haven't had much success domestically Leinster look like world beaters but they're not.

I think this all or nothing thinking is really warped. If the only measure of success is trophies, then only one team every year is good. Leinster have been there or there about nearly every year since Lancaster arrived. Beaten finalists twice. I doubt there is any club or pundit in Europe who don’t see Leinster as a power house.

As was pointed out Leinster always had the advantage. Population, schools system producing more players. Yet they couldn’t convert it till Cheika arrived. Then Joe kicked it up a level. MOC arrived and they took a step back, a big one. Then Leo took over and with Lancasters help. They have taken it to a new level of consistency. We have only failed to make the semis once in 7 years. What other club has had that consistency?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

They do. They have a lot of Ulster branch coaches who volunteer their services around the primary schools in the province. Belfast Harlequins made pitches available for local GAA club matches but unfortunately, as we know, history dies hard in Ireland. There is some cross fertilisation but it is a slow process. Let's face it, if it was easy we wouldn't be where we are. As a schoolboy I played rugby for MCB on a Saturday and often played Gaelic on a Sunday for St Anne's in Dunmurry where my pals played. That was in the 1960s before the advent of civil strife. There is one more limiting factor and that is the availability of rugby facilitles. The slow death of participation in rugby has led to the virtual shrinkage and even demise of once very successful clubs like Dungannon, Bangor, Civil Service, CIYMS, Ards and others. North amalgamated with Collegians, two of the original clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Interesting Jaco. Thanks.

In regard to the lack of facilities. My old Grammer school from the 60s and 70s, back in England, sold most of its sports pitches to developers in the 1980s. Rugby isnt even on the curriculum now. Sad times.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

MOC was a missed kick away from a European final. If Leinster had made it and won that final would he still have been shite?

Yeah, we were declining and increasingly inconsistent but still had a lot of talent. He wouldn't have been sacked as quickly but we'd be talking instead about that result papering over the cracks in my opinion.

• Advertisement

MOC was running on the fumes of Joe’s era. The decline was already there to see. The outcome was inevitable due to the culture change. As Venjur said, it would just have delayed the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The decline was already well underway under Joe. MOC had to deal with a much weakened squad and that wasn't of his making.

He wasn't the right man for the job but he was dealt a bad hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ironically, former Leicester head coach MOC used to whine that he wasn't allowed sign players to strengthen the squad due to the strictures the Irish provinces operate under

Having advantages works in many ways. If Leinster win in Europe, it's "the grand slam winners" or, the salary and the population etc. If they lose, it's their soft, they choked, x should be dropped from the national squad etc.

Funny how it seems to flow Leinsters way. It's never about the facts. The system provides the quality of players. The players fit in and push for minutes, driving standards higher. A survey of Englis teams shows a high percentage of imports. What's the academy system providing? Pundits talking out of their hoops about advantages etc, yet are oblivious to the influx of non homegrown players. I would assume the IRFU is currently the model on which other unions should strive to be.

What kind of squad will be sent down to S.A?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hopefully not a completely green selection but Milne, McKee, Clarkson, Deeny,?, Ruddock, Penny? Deegan, Foley, H Byrne, Kearney, Crawley, Turner, Larmour, Cosgrave kind of starting XV.

Lock and SH are very threadbare and full back will probably have someone out of position.

Presume Ngatai and Osbourne are gone until next year?

Soroka will travel I’d say. Maybe as lock cover

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Osbourne was spotted on Friday still wearing a full boot so he is gone. I don't know about Ngatai.

I think Joe McCarthy is due back soon but will they want to send him down South if there are question marks.

I'll be honest and say that on Friday Henshaw looked like he was a little short on match sharpness. That said they probably won't want to take him from the squad training together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

LH: Edward Byrne, Michael Milne, Jack Boyle

Hooker: John McKee, Lee Barron, Tadhg McElroy

TH: Thomas Clarkson, Vakhtang Abdaladze

SR: Brian Deeny, Alexis Soroka

BS: Rhys Ruddock, Diarmuid Mangan

No. 8: Max Deegan, James Culhane

SH: Nick McCarthy, Ben Murphy, Fintan Gunne

OH: Sam Prendergast, Charlie Tector

Centre: Ben Brownlee, Liam Turner, Hugh Cooney

Wing: Tommy O'Brien, David Kearney, Robert Russell, Aitzol Arenzana-King

FB: Jordan Larmour, Chris Cosgrave

That's 29; need and extra lock and maybe outhalf. Will they risk taking, say, Jenkins and Harry Byrne? Or will they look to the AIL or to players who've maybe featured for Leinster 'A' over the past year?

Hard to know whether they'll take the likes of Frawley and McKee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I doubt Larmour will travel to South Africa considering the injury to Lowe. You'd hope that the latter will be fit for the semi final, but if he isn't Leinster will start Larmour and JOB on the wings.

Advertisement