Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Not sure of the make of ours but it’s one where the animal walks forward and catches themselves. I always walk the cattle thru it first with the gates open just to give them a false sense of what’s happening. Very few are clever enough to stop then when the gate is set to catch them. Maybe older cows would get wise to it but no problem with bullocks and heifers

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Dairy cows can be cute out

we’ve no bother with first calvers but once they get that first year milking over them they get wise

we end up using the next cow to push the front cow into the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Maybe you know better, but as far as I'm aware she joined SDs due to their social policies, and to get away from the FG/Tories on bikes approach, I'd say either ticket wouldn't be too hard to get on.

She's certainly a pro sustainability and pro environment candidate, and a rarity amongst those in that she's a farmer and pro-farming too.

Her only sin is that she is a small peasant farmer, and ad the British/capitalists figured out long ago, not many aspire to being a small farmer, and her very success as such might be challenging to other approaches.

She's probably too long term in her thinking and sees the need for our land use to develop and evolve beyond the old industrial systems for social, economic, and environmental reasons.

It's interesting that you chooses to attack her integrity, as I would say that it's probably her USP at the moment as a politician, and leaves her vulnerable too. The fact that she came straight out with her position on the N derogation is an example of that honesty and integrity, that most politicians would shirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 international xl

The local co op branch is less than 2 miles from her door she was in one day and a farmer had heard her on the radio about emission so he came over and ask how were the cows doing all the damage she would not engage to which the farmer said so is sf6 gas doing no damage every one deserves a lucky break next election is just around the corner she was top of the count in her parish last election which is Kilcoe and lisheen schools cannot see her been in the top 3 this time as people judge people on actions not words

Depending on the man and his approach, it might be understandable that she wouldn't.

As for sf6 gas, apart from whataboutery, what's the point? That we should also try and develop more sustainable energy infrastructure.

I can't see anyone disagreeing with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I've seen Michael Collins and others at many farm events and open days in west Cork. Never seen herself around apart from a few staged photo shoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mick Wallace when he was elected stated that he was not going to be a traditional politician. He stated he was not going to do anything for the local people that was for the other politicians to do so. He was going to follow national and international agendas. Of course he didn't say this before the election when he was looking for votes.

Holly is sounding more of the cut of this.

It's not being brave. It's not being radical or free thinking. It's two fingers to your electorate.

You've farmer led coops in West Cork. The envy of Ireland. I think Holly's mother was also part of the movement and supplied same. You've some of the lowest nitrates in the country in the waterways. That comes from grazing grass. It's reduced even in the last testing. And this is under a lot of the farmers in derogation in the region. The message and agenda is clear. It's not nitrates in waterways that are the stick to beat ye with. It's methane emissions from the number of stock and derogation is seen as a handy weapon to use against farmers to achieve spreadsheet targets in reducing numbers. Unfortunately Holly has been suckered in on this to follow the sheep and follow the "bigger picture" and achieve goals. Except for every cow being talked about there's a farmer behind it. And that farmer has a vote.

My advice if you have a vote use it. Simple as.

Once upon a time there was a lot more cows and a lot more votes behind them in West Cork, and West Linerick, and West Clare, many other places too, if we keep going as we are there won't be much left soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

She got votes for 3 reasons last time.she was hot,she was female and she was new.men voted for because she was hot,women voted for her because she was a women and the people who wanted something different voted for her because she was new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

See there banning the use of untreated urea in the UK. They started off with trying to ban all urea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Purely because of cf wanting to have a monopoly on the UK market, they lobbied (payed off the right people) done "trials" showing how harmful urea was versus can, and now they are likely to mothball their operations their its farcical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭older by the day

No, all the people who frequent Aughadown branch are nothing but gentlemen

That's a fair analysis, time will tell whether there's substance behind the style, and whether the voters are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bit of a simplistic assessment - its not as if the current government r inspiring on all fronts so there will be plenty of votes up for grabs next election

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭roosterman71

No not inspiring on all fronts, but not doing bad either. The current government have many faults. But they have near fulll employment, have given support towards bills, cut taxes and guided us through a pandemic where we emerged in fine fettle. Too many eggs in the few big tech/pharma basket but what party is going to change that? Housing and health is the biggie each election. None of the parties have a solution. SF are great in opposition and just say no to everything (too much time spent observing the Unionists up North) but have not given any solution to the issues at hand. No party has because there is none. Look, if there was an easy, public supported, vote winning answer they'd all have suggested it.

SF are appealing to those who have nothing and expect everything. I can see why. And they probably deserve a chance as much as anyone. Can they do any worse? Can they do any better?

Grass isn't always greener.....

(I'm just home after 6 pints of delicious Smithwicks. Take my ramblings with that info on board)

I guess it depends on your circumstances - if i was young(20s/early 30s) and starting out in this country , there might be jobs, but not much good if the cost of housing, heating, etc. is out of reach. Things were bad in the 80's but the average teacher and guard could still get accommodation in Dublin. Now there r shortages of teachers, retail workers etc. around most big towns and cities cos the cost of living is driving them to emigrate again:(. Also this governments policy of relieing on vulture funds,speculators and developers to delver basic public services has become an expensive mess in terms of housing, energy, waste services etc. EG. Developers in Dublin alone r sitting on 40k building permissions while spinning BS about wanting looser regs on planning, fire safety, waste water etc. while this government has allowed those responsible for the Mica disaster etc. that is set to cost the taxpayers billions of euros to walk away scot free!!

• Advertisement

Post edited by Castlekeeper on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Population has increased by a million in 10 years, the first 5 of those we were still recovering from recession.

Pre crash there was a large proportion went away for the year after education but would come back, post crash they went away still but stayed away for longer leading to skills shortages

Same problems are in alot of countries, but not all have had a the same population increase.

Same problems as always here, things are built for now or even 10 years previous when plans were first made and not for 10/ 20/30 years time. CUH was redeveloped too small, dunkettle was designed too small, even now is it one of councils in the counties around Dublin only allowing for a small amount of new builds as it's not in their development plans. In the meantime serial objectors and all those who want to stick their hand in the pie make it nigh on impossible to do things right

Too much talk and not enough doing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I expect mike collins will pull votes out of her the next time and then i think the geography and the fact shes done nothing will catch her the next time.but i ll add politics is not my game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

It would be good to see Lombard get in. He would be a speaker for agriculture

A quick question, I checked the maiden heifers this evening and they were running low in grass. The paddock next to them got urea Saturday for silage and I gave them a piece. Will it do them harm. A bit less than 2bags to the acre.

You should be grand for the week. Temps are low and urea is slower to get into the plant than nitrate as it has to go though an extra change process.

Even with nitrate and peak you've about 3 days, I recall lads pushing for max growth or blanket spreading fertilising up to 3 days pre-grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

All over simplistic. Things are a lot more complicated than that, but you would be in line with SF magic money politics. It's not easy for a Govt to supply houses to all who need them for 300,000 a pop. Even if the Govt could/would why then would anyone want to spend THEIR OWN MONEY buying a house?

I agree. There is a lot of things changed in the past twenty years. I know there are tough cases and they need government help and they should be helped. BUT. Listening to a lot of phone in radio shows, why does the presenter not ask " where is the dad?" There are lots of people out there not taking responsibility for there choice to have children. Should the family not be the first port of call before the state. I know I would put up my family if they found themselves homeless. Even convert the sitting room for a while.

Secondly was the reason that the state let the people buy their council house was because of the cost of up keep. I knew a lad who would ring the council to get them to change the light bulbs in his house.

But its ok to p*ss away euro billions indulging cowboy developers behind the Mica and Urban apartments defect crisis, as well as tax breaks for speculators and vulture funds who then sit on zoned land???.U can also throw in the indulgence by this government of vast amounts of derelict sites across every town and city in the country. The state built a serious amount of houses in the 50's and 60's when we didn't have a pot to p*ss into. We also have a government full of landlord TD's oking open door non-EU emigration at a time of housing crisis - hardly helps does it???

• Advertisement

I agree with u about those types expecting others to fund their own lifestyle choices in terms of having children in the absence of any resources to rear them.

Advertisement