Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Will never happen. Spoofing, storytelling, downplaying are the order of the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

If, as is looking likely, China attempt to take Taiwan it will be interesting to see what the EU response is. Will the borders be open and millions of Taiwanese be offered temporary protection and supports? That’s what should happen based on the response to the invasion of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Well it could be true that certain nationalities are over represented considering their numbers here .Sweden does have a problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

They are surrounded by water, they won’t be able to leave.

Also two very high profile rapes by “black fellahs” didn’t happen at all which is the order extreme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This leads to our other major problem in this country - electoral choices that range from "same again please" to "you must be f-in joking!"

Add to that the "workarounds" that FF/FG have found to our pesky democracy in recent times - Confidence and Supply, outright Coalition, and buying off votes to survive No Confidence motions, not to mention guillotining key legislation through the Dail with minimal debate - and we have a very serious problem with our political and governance systems as a whole.

On top of that, and linked to my earlier comments on the need for validation, is a system where important and far reaching decisions are being made based on Twitter comments and crusading. This nonsense about the "far right" for example that's being used to discredit anyone who questions the approach to these "controversial" issues - this is IRELAND. We don't even have a "right" anymore (just various shades of Left), let alone a far right!

This is a country of "ah shure it'll be grand" attitudes, where we still love the "cute hoor" or someone who gets one over on "the system", where there's general apathy to everything not directly affecting someone, and where events and decisions happen and pass with little more than a grumble down the pub. The electorate itself is a serious part of the problem as well.

But who's going to change that? SF? See the end of my first line for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

People of all backgrounds commit crime. The punishment should be the same regardless, irrespective of the perpetrators background imo.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Oh there’ll be cover-ups ahoy. silencing; etc let it be known the devil works in not-so mysterious ways

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

The Irish media are even worse than the Brit media At least you got biased papers for right and left - so far from perfect but balanced at least. Over here it’s all virtue signalling and cover ups. A total disgrace and very unbalanced. I always considered myself left wing and railed against the right , but the open borders stance of the left and how the gov and media have shut down debate has really opened my eyes. I can see all these politicians, journalists and NGOs for what they really are - just part of a back slapping, virtue signalling merry go round with not a care for the actual public.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If SF and the dirty red commies on the hard left get in next time it will be 10 times worse than it is now.

• Advertisement

Half hoping SF can read the room and go back on what they’ve said. They’re normally good at backing the right horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

People are idiotic in their use of the PR system also, this is why we get ministers who got in on the 8th plus counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The British media are much, much worse. Patel, Braverman and their numerous press pals have been lying through their teeth for the last two years, with their lies and misinformation about refugees being repeated all over their media and social media:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

I actually checked the date on that to see if it was April 1st. Nope!

Read an article recently about parents with autistic kids, criminal lack of support from government agencies- no funds, no staff etc. Yet they have 6 million to squander on this rubbish. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That should be flagged as headline news on every platform. It's a damning indictment of this Government's priorities and where the needs of the citizens, voters, and taxpayers rank among them.

It's not just anyone with a sad story that we are encouraging to show up now, it's their dogs and cats too!

But unfortunately, until the effects of this start to hit a lot more people and we see massive Irish Water style protests that can't just be ignored or marginalised as "far right loons", things will continue to get worse for those of us who will be feeling the effects for decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Interesting perspective on the migrant numbers in Germany from the head of a police union:

"The government’s refusal to deal with the ongoing migrant crisis is a “dangerous cocktail” that now threatens Germany, the head of one police union has warned"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFwFULHBbM

The only liars I see are the Irish media if they ever even bother reporting on the issue.

A freedom of information request to the Home Office (March 20th, 2023) discovered that around 60% of people on board the dinghies in 2022 were genuine refugees fleeing war or oppression - meaning everything that Braverman, the Daily Mail and GB News have been saying about "illegal" migration has been a lie.

A further stat is that seven people who arrived by dinghy last year were found to have serious criminal convictions in their home country and were subsequently deported. Not 7000.....seven people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well if they were genuine and fleeing oppression as you say then why didn't they stay in France which is a safe country instead of jumping on a boat and crossing the channel.

Have a think on that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

If you think that of the British media then you probably need to read The Guardian or the Daily Mirror, for balance!! As a previous poster said, at least the UK media gives one some choice.

• Advertisement

Our "leaders" are just yes-men parroting from the same script as most "leaders" across Europe.

The fact they're willing to lie to the Irish citizens they're supposed to represent and proceed with this agenda to the detriment of our country makes me wonder:

a) why are we paying these politicians a salary? They're not fulfilling their job description and are clearly just administrators for someone else.

b) who is actually running this country?

You were on here saying we had a legal obligation to take in refugees to Ireland. That was factually untrue. Your government lied to you, as proven above.

Then you claimed no correlation between migrant influx and rising crime rates, with no evidence to back it up. I linked one (of the many) pieces of data that proved otherwise.

You're embarrassing yourself at this stage, my friend. What's your motivation? Genuine question.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

This is spot on. At least in the UK there are papers/other media outlets that are on both sides of the spectrum. A reasonable person can then be informed by both and make up their own mind about the situation.

In Ireland we get 50 shades of left.

It's infuriating

What part of Ireland being legally obliged to take in asylum seekers is incorrect? The State is a signatory to both the 1951 Refugee Convention and the European Convention on Human Rights, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Is ireland a signatory to a different convention than the likes of France because our refusal rate for asylum is tiny compared to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Is that a Shergar joke?

Republicans don't like horses for some reason. They've blown up all the horse statues.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The refusal rate of asylum applications and international legal obligations are entirely separate things

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

We have an opt out. It's linked above.

Besides, a lot these people are moving from country to country. Ireland isn't the first safe country they've been in. Some of them are clearly welfare shopping, lol. Ireland is all the way over here by itself in the North West part of Europe.

You never answered the question, btw. Genuine Ukrainian refugees aside, why do you care so much about people you don't know anything about? Especially considering the crisis in Ireland at the moment. And let's be honest, we're talking about people who don't know or care about you in any way, either. What's the motivation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

They absolutely are not , if a concrete obligation exists in a pan European sense ?, Ireland is no less entitled to refuse the vast majority of AS applicants like France do , one can only conclude that this so called obligation is in no way binding and is merely a pledge

• Advertisement

Use of an opt out would be a hugely controversial move. Most countries in Europe would want to know why Ireland was refusing to take in refugees, when virtually no other country in western Europe is doing the same. They would be especially baffled given that Ireland doesn't even have a history of right wing politics or media or far right populist parties.

I've no 'skin in the game' here. But I'm seeing a lot of lies and misinformation being aired around the refugee issue. It's strange because we don't even have a particularly high intake of refugees in Ireland compared to many countries, either historically or in the present, apart from the unprecedented events of the last 12 months involving Ukrainian people.

Advertisement